Apple needs to update the Bluetooth Keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ironduke, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Ironduke Suspended

Ironduke

I love the Multitouch touchpad on my unibody macbook, its the first time ever I have considered a touchpad superior to the mouse (infact it made me bin my mouse).

The problem is if you own an imac or mac mini or pre october 2008 you cant enjoy this enhanced UI.

Apple need to update all its keyboards with Back Lighting & multiouch Touch pads, the bluetooth model needs a mini usb port to charge it rather then swapping batteries.

One device that has opened my eyes is the PS3 keypad it has stroke sensitive buttons so you can actually make the mouse pointer move like a trackpad by moving your finger over the buttons without actually pressing them.

If apple could reproduce this technology on its larger keyboards?

2. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

The wireless ones can't be backlit - they would run down batteries excessively. And would require painfully frequent recharging should your mini-USB idea come to fruition.

I agree a large trackpad would be a welcome addition as an input device. However I believe it would be a standalone product, not available on ALL apple keyboards.

Using the unibody trackpad is painful when mousing around a 17" MBP + 24" LED.

3. akm3 macrumors 68020

+1 for the hope that there is an available trackpad or a keyboard with trackpad built in (Large sized like on the Air's and new macbooks) available separately.

I love my mouse, and would still need it in some circumstances, but the trackpad is so great to use.

4. mik34 macrumors member

I'd settle for black keys

I also love the trackpad on my Al macbook. I'd probably still use a mouse on my iMac though, even if the trackpad was an option.

However, seeing as the whole Mac lineup is going aluminum and black, a new keyboard with black keys is long overdue. Hopefully they'll make new ones with the upcoming iMac/Mac pro revisions.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I wonder... there are those little keychain LED "flashlights" that get a remarkably large amount of runtime out of a watch battery. Is it really completely impossible?

I really do think Apple might be strategically aiming for the multi-touch design represented by the glass trackpad as some kind of future alternative to the mouse. I finally tried one and I was really quite impressed.

6. harry454 macrumors 6502

they just updated them about a few months back around 8 months I think or longer

7. south8212 macrumors 6502

i personally love my bt keyboard and mouse. I just set the mouse to do expose and app switcher and its just as easy as the trackpad. I do agree that a trackpad on the keyboard would be cool.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

August 2007, so 18 months ;)

9. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I completely agree! The existing keyboard really clashes with the new MB/MBP and 24" ACD. Like yourself, my guess is that a new black-chicklet keyboard will be introduced when the new iMacs are released. Right now, it is those dirt-prone white chicklet keys that are preventing me from buying one.

I also really like the idea of a USB port to charge the keyboard! Maybe Apple will include a number pad on this one (seems kind of stupid not to have one on the BT model).

10. mik34 macrumors member

Yes, a number pad would be nice. I can't imagine it uses much more battery or would be hard to make. Not sure why they didn't include it.

For now, I'll stick with my white wired one. But I have an older iMac (first Intel one) so it's white anyway. I just want the black keys when I get a new ACD for my macbook. Then the wife can have my old iMac, which still works like new 3 years later, unlike any PC I've owed.

11. o0samotech0o macrumors regular