Apple needs to vent the bottom of the iPhone boxes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by InternetDude08, Sep 19, 2014.

1. InternetDude08 macrumors regular

So the next "Antennagate" will be the iPhone boxes themselves.

I say Apple should put a small vent in the bottom half of the boxes so when you open it, it does not fly open and have the phone drop on the concrete. A vent would get rid of that vacuum and give you a better "unboxing" experience.

Who's with me?

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Or you can open the box on a table and not 4 feet above concrete like the idiot in that video.

3. sjperformance macrumors 6502

sjperformance

For real. Hardest box to open on any iPhone LoL. Be very careful with it

4. uchosen macrumors 6502

Or open the box of a f'n ~$800 phone carefully.

5. jayiw macrumors regular

I thought this post was going to be about the smell of the inside of the box... of which I happen to love. mmmmm that smell.

Anyway, yes the box has some good suction. All I thought of is that video of the kid that dropped his. I was really REALLY careful. I think that kid is a marter for this. For his sacrifice we are all a bit more cautious now.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. People need to take responsibility for what they do and not try and pass the blame on to someone else.

7. vitacura macrumors regular

The box opened smoothly here. Just open it nice and easy.

8. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

I noticed it was harder than the previous phones too. Either they have reduced the difference between top and bottom halves or the reduced volume from making the boxes smaller and smaller causes it.

9. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I saw that video last night and I VERY gently and carefully opened my box today over a table at the Apple Store. No issues, but I could see how it might happen if you were quick to pop the cover.

10. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Glad i saw that video. I opened mine very carefully over the center of a large table.

11. techiebug macrumors 6502a

Nah Jony Ive designed it that way to make people spend more for broken phones lol

12. anarche macrumors member

anarche

The Perth dude's drop test is the most-viewed PSA of all time, IMO

13. mguti macrumors member

14. RByers8252 macrumors regular

$1,270 after Apple care+ and leather case.

15. techiebug macrumors 6502a

I say it's worth it for him to drop it since now he is famous all over the world

16. lke macrumors 6502a

You can start by doing a live experiment with your own box, place a small vent and send us a video if the box opens more easily.

Sometimes it is better to seal the boxes better like they are right now because they travel from China to Alaska, to central USA to final destination, and then to every office of UPS, or every store of Apple.

I am sure that Apple has decided that they want boxes 100% closed than with some type of vent.

17. rrm74001 macrumors regular

rrm74001

The guy in the video was nervous and was trying to get it open ASAP for the camera. I don't think it is a common occurrence.

I really don't think this even compares to "antenna-gate", which was blown way out of proportion by the media in the first place. Could a better packaging be designed? Sure. But it is difficult to justify the effort for the 1-2 times you open the box.