Apple network configuration

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tomfri, Sep 21, 2012.

1. tomfri macrumors newbie

I'm having all kinds of network problems, when solving one issue the next appears. I am more than willing to start from square one, restore to factory settings and build it up from there. Since my network architecture skills are somewhat narrowed I thought it would be a good idea to make this post.

HARDWARE
    * Router from my ISP acting as DHCP
    * Airport Extreme (about 2 years old)
    * Airport Express (latest)
    * Time Capsule (1st gen)

I need the network to be dual band (5ghz/2.4ghz) but since the Time Capsule is "old" it has the flaw of narrowing WiFi-speed to 2.4 when set to dual band (at least that's what I'm told). Because of this I have set the dual band task to my Airport Extreme. The Airport Express is only used for music streaming.

PRESENT SITUATION
    The Time Capsule is set only to use 5ghz wifi. My Airport Extreme is set to extend the Time Capsule network. The Express has its own wifi network only to make it work on its own regardless of all other network problems.

I have unique names for the 5ghz wifi networks (Extreme/Express). The networks behave strange, devices get disconnected and at times one or the other network refuses new connections.

In short, it's a mess!

HARD FACTS
    * Router has one cable to the Time Capsule
    * Router has another cable to the Airport Extreme
    * Airport Express is connected to the Airport Extreme
    * Printer is connected to the Time Capsule and needs to be available throughout the whole network as well as the Time Capsule itself due to backup reasons.

I HAVE A DREAM...
    If possible I would like to have one WiFi network name, using the same password, all devices can use preferring the 5ghz network when applicable. Also I would like a guest network.

If necessary I will follow advice telling me to replace/remove/add hardware to solve my issues.

So, what is the best way solving this?

2. dmax35 macrumors 6502

What wireless modes do you have configured with the AP extreme & AP express?

3. tomfri thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your response! I was at work at the time of the original post, now at home to read the settings. I have added information just in case it is necessary.

AP express
    Radio mode: 802.11a/n - 802.11b/g/n automatic
    2.4 GHz channel: automatic
    5 GHz channel: automatic
    Safety: WPA/WPA2 personal

AP extreme:
    802.11a/n - 802.11b/g/n automatic
    2.4 GHz channel: automatic
    5 GHz channel: automatic
    Safety: WPA2 personal

Time Capsule:
    Radio mode: 802.11n only (5 GHz)
    5 GHz channel: Automatic
    Safety: WPA2 Personal

4. dmax35 macrumors 6502

Try changing the AP express & AP extreme to 802.11b/g/n automatic only. Hopefully that should resolve the device confusion & disconnections.

5. tomfri thread starter macrumors newbie

Problems solved

Just in case someone's still reading this thread I solved the network issues after some hard studying and trial and error.

The core to the problem was triple play. I used one slot on my triple play router leading to my AP Express and using my AP Express as router for both regular network and my Set Top Box lead to the problems. I removed the STB and used another slot on my triple play router and the world is now a little bit sweeter!

T.