Apple Network Settings

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ipsb11, Dec 21, 2010.

1. ipsb11 macrumors newbie

So I received a new Apple TV from my sister-in-law for Christmas. I have the original Apple TV; never any problems with it besides the occasional unplug of the power to reset it. I've read a lot about the new version of Apple TV being jicky, at best, streaming video from a computer. My setup is as follows:
    -3.06 GHZ iMac with all movies and music stored locally
    -new Airport Extreme
    - Gen. 2 Apple TV
    -iPad
    -iPhone 4 and 3GS, along with 1G iPod Touch.

My queston to the all knowing Mac Rumors world is....what is my best settings configuration for my Apple TV, iPad and iPhone 4? Could a manual setup of my Airport help me in any way?

2. Dannymonky macrumors member

Dannymonky

Router should be set up in dual band mode. 1 being 5ghz N only and the other a 2.4ghz g sgnal.

I recommend a 5 Ghz N only network )for the ipad,iphone and Apple tv2. The 3gs and ipod touch will connect to your 2.4 ghz g network.Is the iMac hardline ethernet or wireless? Either way you should have no trouble streaming. The only wonkines from the apple tv2 is rentals from itunes take forever to start. I dont rent since my content is on my laptop. I would suggest a wifi sniffer of sorts to see what channels your neighbors are using. Just set up your channels to the ones that are not being used by people in the area(cuts down on possible network issues). You will be able to use the iphone 4, 3gs & ipad as remotes for the apple tv2

My setup uses the new apple extreme, iphone 4 and apple tv2. I have no trouble streaming content from my macbook pro over wifi. I have not ever tried streaming from apple.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions ask away..