Apple Networking Protocols Desireable for NAS?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tom Sawyer, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Recent switcher, many time poster.... :D

This past week, I purchased a new printer a Lexmark all in one deal (X9350). I had initially started setting up it's wireless print server via a PC laptop and (imagine this) ran into troubles. Long story short, my iMac saved the day as the printer out of the box was setup up ad-hoc and "talked" Bonjour. VERY impressive to say the least... and this ad-hoc connection was only available for setup with a Mac :apple: Kudos to Lexmark!! :D

So, it got me wondering. I have an Infrant ReadyNAS (now owned by Netgear) (awesome NAS btw). It supports Bonjour as well, and I was amazed to see how easy it was to get to it, etc etc. So I'm wondering, would there be any benefit to turning on the AFP services which can advertise over Bonjour and/or Appletalk? The ReadyNAS can act as an iTunes server as well which is pretty cool and I've played with that, but wasn't sure what (if anything) turning on AFP would give me over SMB/CIFS?

TIA for any insight into this!

2. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

AFP is a nightmare. If you lose connectivity watch Finder take a nosedive. Go with CIFS.

3. Tom Sawyer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Thanks for the reply/info.. I suspected as much reading about it on various websites.. will stick to CIFS. :)