Apple New In-Ear - Vocal louder on the right?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dL., Jan 14, 2009.

1. dL. macrumors 6502

This is weird. I am pretty sure it's not the problem with my ear.

On certain songs, the vocal played on the apple in-ear is slightly on the right side. It ranges from 45/55 to 30/70 (left/right).

I thought it could be my ear, so I tried my old pair of Sony and it's fine. Tried some other earphone, it's fine.

So my question is...

1. Apple's defect?
    2. Apple is very accurate = certain recording is REALLY biased on one side?
    3. My ear? Possibly since my left ear seems to be weaker at accepting loud music than my right. But then how come other earphones are fine?

I also notice the new in-ear from Apple has a very wide sound stage. It feels as if they are playing from a farther distance than single driver ones. And I can really sense the direction of the music.

Everybody's ears are different, so I would like to hear more opinion from you guys.

Thanks for trying it out!

dL

2. dL. thread starter macrumors 6502

OK it's probably the recording. Because I got my other friend to test this one song, which he told me is more on the left, by 5%, and it is.

Weird. I guess it's recording? Or I'm just wayyy too picky?

dL

3. Ploki macrumors 68000

it should be the recording.

try swapping the channels to see what happens (you can do that in Garage band i think?), and swap your earphones. so basically you will get Left channel to the RIGHT earphone which will be in the LEFT ear.

you see what i mean? and if stereo image is different this way (shouldnt be) then you have a pair of faulty headphones. if its the same then its the recordings.

from the technical perspective:
    usually it couldnt be that only vocals were leaned to one side because of headphones
    either a faulty frequency response matching: whole part of frequencies (1-4Khz) whic would include snares, guitars, keyboards as well.
    or faulty output matching: whole output would lean towards one ear not only vocals, giving you a screwed up center image.