Apple Newbie - Advice Needed!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DWrightsGirlx26, Jul 9, 2008.

1. DWrightsGirlx26 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I'm new here, coming out of lurkdom (finally). I've tried to do some searches for my questions, but I'm still quite confused. Any advice and opinions would be greatly, greatly appreciated!!

First off, what size iPhone should I get? I was thinking of getting the black 16gb, but am quite unsure. I have a first gen 4gb iPod Nano that I use now, only to commute between work/school, so maybe for about an hour total a day. That said, I do not plan to use the iPhone as an iPod as well, nor do I plan to put tvs/movies/etc on it. I also won't store lots and lots of pictures, maybe about 30 or so. I am just concerned how much space would basic apps take up? I am sure I'll get AIM, and just a couple web apps is all. Bottom line: would the 8gb suit me just as well?

My other question is this - how much should I expect to pay for my first iPhone bill? I plan to purchase the $70 phone/data plan, as well as the $20 texting. I know of the $36 activation fee. Any other surprises to expect?

All in all, as I said, ANY help would definitely be appreciated! Thank you all soooo much in advance!!:eek:

2. skierdb526 macrumors regular

Get in 8 gigger as its all you will need. Also my first bill last year was huge. it was like 170$ because it billed for the month and a month in advance plus activation.

3. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

30 photos is nothing.

Even 100 photos doesn't take up 1 GB rather about 1/2 a GB.

Applications should not take up that much space unless it's a large game (like Super Monkey Ball).

AIM should be under 1 MB...unless they're adding a ton of features and such.

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

5. DWrightsGirlx26 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd heard that it was about $170, but I don't always believe my friends as they like to exaggerate! Thanks for the quick response!!

6. ApplEngineer macrumors regular

Since your not going to use the iPhone for the ipod or movies, etc. I would probably get the 8gig. Thats more than enough space to get applications. Most application should be 1mb or less since they can be downloaded over-the-air.

As far as first bill it will probably be like $110-120 (assumption). Someone who actually is under contract could answer that better. The only charges I can think of would be: $70(iphone plan) , $20(texts), $36(activation, I believe that's what it is, Tax(varies by state/city)

Have you tried checking if your job or school has an att discount? Check it out here: http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/ and enter your work/school email on the right. You can also get $25 off (one-time) if a friend refers you to att, or I can refer you.

Hope this helps :apple:

7. skierdb526 macrumors regular

Yep, see if your business or school applies. I still stand firm on the 8gb opinion.

8. DWrightsGirlx26 thread starter macrumors newbie

It said I am eligable! That would be wonderful if you could refer me. How does that work?

9. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

I was originally leaning toward the 16GB not because of the amount of music, video, and pictures I would carry (which will not be a lot) but because of the size of applications. With the application size limit at 2GB, I was worried that having a few that are half that size would use up all the space pretty quickly. Then I read this in the USA Today article:

I'm now 100% comfortable with the 8GB model.

10. DWrightsGirlx26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm pretty set on the 8gb after reading the recent responses, in part because it's much more affordable for me right now. My iTunes library isn't even at 8gb!

11. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

Wow, thanks for posting that. I had started reading that article and then got distracted by my 2yo and didn't get that far. It looks like an 8GB model will meet my needs and I can stop flip flopping about color and just get black, which will match my Nano. And I can get a nice Vaja case without any guilt. ;) Maybe I'll even get a Vaja case for my Nano. :D

12. DWrightsGirlx26 thread starter macrumors newbie

^I had the same thought! Now I can get a case and not put it in my very soft makeup pouch until my next pay. But now...what case to get? A much better hard decision! :p

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

just curious - why would you not use it as an ipod? You say you already commute with a nano, which is what I used to do. Being able to leave the nano at home and carry only one device was one of the really big selling points for me when I bought an iphone last year.

anyway, as others have said, for your uses the 8 GB is more than sufficient. I have 1600 photos, 1000 songs, contacts, calendars, and a few short videos on my 8 GB iphone and I still have 2 GB free. I know nobody is impressed by 8 GB anymore, but it's really quite a lot of space.

14. DWrightsGirlx26 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sure I'll put some songs on there, but I don't want to use it as my primary iPod for fear of totally wreaking havoc on the battery life! I'm not really sure why I decided against using it as an iPod. I think I feel really bad to just let my Nano go by the wayside as I got it for Christmas when it first came out from my parents, and there's really nothing wrong with it, and I would just feel as if it's a waste.

I kept thinking that the 16gb was my only option, but then tonight I was number crunching and realized the 8gb might be better suited for me. I tend to think along the lines of 'bigger is better' - not conciously, I don't think. I guess I just assumed why not get 2x the gb for only $100 more? But really, it would pretty much be a waste of money I think. If I feel the need to get more gb in the future I'm sure I could sell my 8gb and go for the 16gb.

15. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

Well, I had a 8gb i had around 400 photos and around 400 songs I don't think it even made a dent. But just to be on the safe side buy the 16gb like its only 100 dollars more and double the space. And I did use it as a ipod which is great, I use it around 2 hours everyday on the train and non stop texting ,emailing, and web browsing. The phone use to last me around 8 am to 7pm so you are some what good to go, put the ipod on ebay! And think of the programs over 4,000 of them and most of them are free you may be like a kid in a candy store.

16. hellodon macrumors 6502

Nah pics are not 5MB-ish each. Pretty sure they are less than 1MB each. I've got about 700 photos on mine and it's about 400 or so MB....so use that as a reference.

17. devonxo macrumors member

And fear of getting it stolen on the subway on the way to TU :p

Still getting 16GB only because it comes in white.. I'll sacrifice the $100 hah, yes dear it's me [we're friends people!]

18. DWrightsGirlx26 thread starter macrumors newbie

haha Yes, we are close friends! I don't have the $100 to put out extra, I am planning a shore trip and paid off the hotel with it. Also, I forgot to mention having it stolen. There's been a rash of young girls being attacked for their iPods, so I'd rather them see my Nano than a brand new iPhone.

I don't think I can sell my iPod really, it's all scratched and my name is engaved in it!

19. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

My music library is closer to 40 gigs... But I'm still going with the 8gb iPhone because I have an 80gb iPod 5.5 Gen. I'll put a playlist on my phone, but I don't need my whole library! (Of course that's what I said about my laptop, which now has 20 gigs of my library on it)

20. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

21. Sphyrna macrumors regular

I have a nano but it won't be neglected once I get my iPhone. I'll still use it for when I work out. But my iPhone will be the iPod I use the rest of the time.