Apple News+ Head of Business Exits Company After Lackluster Start

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's head of business for Apple News+, Liz Schimel, has departed the company less than a year after the $9.99 per month service launched, reports Bloomberg.

Schimel was responsible for relationships with advertisers and news partners for Apple News+, and before that, she served as the president of international business at Conde Nast.

Apple is said to be looking to hire a "notable name" in the publishing world to take Schimel's place. Schimel's replacement, like Schimel, will report to Peter Stern, who oversees Apple's services under Eddy Cue.

Apple News+ provides access to hundreds of magazines along with subscription news from The Wall Street Journal and The Los Angeles Times, but it has failed to catch on with consumers, perhaps due to the lack of access to publications like The New York Times and The Washington Post, which have refused to sign deals with Apple.

Apple has not provided information on how many Apple News+ subscribers it has, but a report in November suggested Apple was struggling to entice people to pay for the service. That report indicated Apple News+ got 200,000 sign ups within 48 hours, but that the numbers have not increased much since then.

While Apple News+ was promoted at its launch, Apple has not been highlighting the service as of late, with Apple TV+ instead taking the spotlight. To boost Apple News+ subscriber numbers, Apple is said to be considering bundling the Apple News+ service with Apple TV+ and Apple Music, but it's not clear when such a bundle might launch.

Article Link: Apple News+ Head of Business Exits Company After Lackluster Start

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
I tried Apple's 3-month free Apple News+ trial.

I read less than 10 articles in 2 months, probably closer to 5. I cancelled it even with 1 free month remaining.

Main problems are:
  • Filtering News+ sources to new articles is nearly impossible.
  • Difficult to customize, which is exacerbated by very cluttered UI.
  • News+ subscription is walled into News app. Apple should work with publishers to "sign in with Apple ID" to browse contents on the website.
  • Too many magazine sources aren't formatted for News app.
I will continue to use the News app, which has gotten better at my news reading habits, fast, and generally okay to use.

Last edited:

orbital~debris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Just kill it off. It was a terrible idea. Apple thinks they can do everything. They should focus on hardware, operating systems and select software.
Magazine content aggregated in a single app, surfacing articles a user might be interested in and would otherwise miss (or be unable to justify buying a plethora of individual magazines in order to access) - it’s actually difficult to work out why that’s a terrible idea?

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Oct 1, 2007
Magazine content aggregated in a single app, surfacing articles a user might be interested in and would otherwise miss (or be unable to justify buying a plethora of individual magazines in order to access) - it’s actually difficult to work out why that’s a terrible idea?
The problem isn’t the technology it’s the content. It’s crap.

Seoras

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
Just kill it off. It was a terrible idea. Same goes for TV+. Apple thinks they can do everything. They should focus on hardware, operating systems and select software.
No, content is King. There's also some subtle benefits of being the backer/owner of TV programs and films.
For a long time Apple products have appeared in dramas & movies as the laptop/desktop of choice or even in the hands of actors as props.
You can't always rely on that free advertising.
Sony made sure modern James Bonds only used their laptops and phones. The greatest example of all being Aston Martin who were a failing company until their car appeared in Goldfinger and turned around their fortunes dramatically.
They've milked that association for 50 years now.
TV+ and being a media company gives Apple a position of strength in so many ways that aren't immediately obvious to outsiders or subscribers.

Last edited:

chinito77

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2015
Japan
For many years, Apple has tried to keep magazines afloat but it's a niche thing nowadays. I give them credit and they had some neat ideas but just let it die already. People buying magazines in newsstands probably don't use smart phones for reading anyway.

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

Rob1973

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2020
Detroit
Apple News+ is a great value if you are a reader of multiple journals. For $120/yr you can read the New Yorker, New York, The Atlantic, the Wall Street Journal and can add additional sites such as the Economist and Washington Post as separate subscriptions. Saved content and sources sync seamlessly across all my devices. If you are an avid reader this is substantial savings and less cumbersome. Unfortunately, RSS readers have not evolved into allowing paywall websites full access to paying subscribers.

rp2011

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2010
I’m a news junky, but have no clue who the audience for the service is, or who would pay for it.
10 bucks for what you can get for free, and without newspapers you’d like to have and be willing to pay for.

Rob1973

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2020
Detroit
I use News every day. If I see a News+ article that i want to read, I google it and read it for free.

I skim past all news+ articles because I’m not paying for it. Another article or two later, I find the same information.

I used to use google news. Not anymore. I just won’t pay for news.
Without being snooty, there can be a significant difference in paid sources of news and unpaid, free content. NYTimes, WSJ, WaPo, Atlantic, etc have access to insiders and are high-end writers. No different than any other industry such as sports, movie producers, podcasters, and musicians. Even within the Apple News+ service some of the journals are high end and others are filler paper. If you are serious about reliable, experienced journalism you will have to and should pay. I don't find paid live TV worth it, so I don't have it but can see how some people would.

EdT

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
People really don’t like paying for news directly. As part of an overall subscription, maybe, but for just a program or access to a paper or a magazine, no.

Reactions: AlexGraphicD
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.