Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following yesterday's release of iOS 12.2 and macOS 10.14.4, and the launch of the Apple News+ subscription service for magazines and newspapers, some users are reporting that the Apple News app is crashing on both platforms.

applenewsplus-800x404.jpg

The issue has been noted by readers in the MacRumors forums and on social media platforms like Twitter and Reddit since early Tuesday. Apple appears to have informed some customers that it is aware of the problem and working on a fix, although its system status page does not yet reflect any issues.

There do not seem to be any workarounds that resolve the crashing for more than a few seconds, so affected users will likely have to wait on Apple for a fix, which developer Steve Troughton-Smith believes could arrive remotely.

Why is Apple News crashing today? Why, bad data pushed to the client, of course. Should be something they can fix remotely pic.twitter.com/YS6U3DNKih - Steve Troughton-Smith (@stroughtonsmith) March 26, 2019

The crashing is likely related to some kind of technical hiccup following the rollout of Apple News+ yesterday. The subscription service offers unlimited access to hundreds of magazines and newspapers for $9.99 per month in the United States and $12.99 per month in Canada within the Apple News app on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

Update: As noted by Rene Ritchie, Apple has fixed the crashing issue.

Article Link: Apple News is Crashing for Some Users on iOS 12.2 and macOS 10.14.4 [Fixed]

adr1974

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007

Following yesterday's release of iOS 12.2 and macOS 10.14.4, and the launch of the Apple News+ subscription service for magazines and newspapers, some users are reporting that the Apple News app is crashing on both platforms.

applenewsplus-800x404.jpg

The issue has been noted by readers in the MacRumors forums and on social media platforms like Twitter and Reddit since early Tuesday. Apple appears to have informed some customers that it is aware of the problem and working on a fix, although its system status page does not yet reflect any issues.

There do not seem to be any workarounds that resolve the crashing for more than a few seconds, so affected users will likely have to wait on Apple for a fix, which developer Steve Troughton-Smith believes could arrive remotely.

The crashing is likely related to some kind of technical hiccup following the rollout of Apple News+ yesterday. The subscription-based service offers unlimited access to hundreds of magazines and newspapers for $9.99 per month in the United States within the Apple News app on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

Article Link: Apple News is Crashing for Some Users on iOS 12.2 and macOS 10.14.4

In macOS, if I quickly click on Apple News Plus before it crashes, it stays open...and then I can go back to the landing page without issue. Obviously a bandaid (and YMMV), but thought I’d throw it out there.

cwazytech

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2009
Colorado
It was continuously crashing on my iPhone. After an additional reboot, it seemed to fix the problem on my phone. It's funny. That happened this morning so I jumped on Macrumors to see if it was a known issue.

lotus ipad

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
I was having this problem. It appears that I am no longer having the problem on Mac OS. I restarted a few times and it started working again.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Wouldn't be that big of an issue if this was a new app, but Apple News is used by lots of people everyday (including myself) and they broke it.

This is a complete fail by Apple.

Reactions: dan110

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Apple added support for RSS-based audio distribution, Podcasts, in 2005. While Apple did not invent it per se, their support and proliferation of Podcasts revolutionized modern spoken-word storytelling and episodic audio content.

If it were done today, Apple would have called it :apple:Radio+ and charged $10/month.

Just a thought I had.

B60boy

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2014
Me too, crash on iOS as soon as I open it. Like others, this is an obvious bug that should have been caught in beta testing before a massive public release. Apple, please fix ASAP.

Reactions: iPadCary

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Only thing annoying me is the News Plus sourced articles now appearing in News that I have to manually block each source so it no longer appears in News. Thanks for that Apple, really love your advertising for your service now...

Give Apple a break, they're a small company with limited resources and people.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
In macOS, if I quickly click on Apple News Plus before it crashes, it stays open...and then I can go back to the landing page without issue. Obviously a bandaid (and YMMV), but thought I’d throw it out there.

Thanks, this worked for me too. Yes, it was crashing on my 2018 MacBook Pro. Was NOT crashing on my iPad 11 Pro.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
Installed 12.2 and it worked yesterday but totally unusable today on my iPad. Wow, major fail Mr. Cook! :mad: Hire some decent programmers.

The whole services event was a fail IMO. Crappy services all around. And why would you push magazines, many of which are scanned PDFs, into the News app. Whatever happened to their News Stand app? That would have been a better place for it.

The first news article should read, "Breaking news, Apples's new News+ service breaks their News app!" :(

Reactions: martyjmclean

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Crashing on my Max. I just open it and don't touch it, and 2 seconds later it crashes. One of the main reasons I stay on iOS is because I love the News app, but with the push to make much of it become a paid "service" it may be time to step away and look at other options. The MSN news app is really good, Google's is ok but could use more work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.