Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple News+ is offering new subscribers an extended three-month free trial of its service through Cyber Monday, an increase from the normal one-month trial offered to new subscribers, the service announced on Apple's website and on Twitter.

apple-news-3-months-deal.jpg

The new offer will only be offered to new subscribers in locations where Apple News+ is available and will run until Cyber Monday, November 29. Apple ran a similar promotion last year. Once the trial ends, the subscription will automatically renew at $9.99 per month.

Article Link: Apple News+ Offering Three-Month Free Trial for New Subscribers Through Cyber Monday

Reactions: yui4 and DeepIn2U

freediverx00

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2020
Apple News sucks. It would suck even if it were free, but it especially sucks when you're paying to still see obnoxious ads littering every news article and magazine. Also, favoriting or blocking news sources has almost no effect, as Apple's "human curated" news layout never adapts to user preferences and will show blocked out spaces for news items from sources the user blocked.

The only Apple interface that's actually worse is that of the Apple TV app.

Last edited:

Biu_miu

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2016
I would REALLY like to know, how many subscribers News + has.
Cant imagine more than 10k

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
It's 6 months free if you sign up for trial through Best Buy

Same goes for Apple Music

Or 3 months free of Apple TV+

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Or just use Flipboard, Feedly or NetNewsWire (also works in Mac, and will sync with Feedly) for free; no ads and ignore curation?

freediverx00

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2020
I would REALLY like to know, how many subscribers News + has.
Cant imagine more than 10k

I'm sure they have a lot, mainly due to their Apple One bundle. For me, the 2TB iCloud storage and Music are essential, despite the significant flaws and limitations in both services. tv+ is meh, but not terrible (well the interface is certainly terrible), and so far as News goes, I'm basically paying to avoid Apple's obnoxious ads for their own service.

So Apple 1 - Me 0, but I wouldn't describe myself as a happy customer.

Last edited:

rrbill

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2020
LMAO Reader’s Digest?? This is LEGIT. I agree with the commenter who said Apple needs to pay me to look at these junk publications. It seems like we shifted into a new era and even Rolling Stone seems like some boomer dinosaur magazine now. Apple failed on this one.

Reactions: -DMN-

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
It's 6 months free if you sign up for trial through Best Buy

Same goes for Apple Music

[/URL]
Thanks for the tip! Is there a catch?

freediverx00

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2020

Apple News+ Offering Three-Month Free Trial for New Subscribers Who Don‘t Understand News is Free on the Internet​

Well, it's supposed to include access to some content that isn't available for free on the internet, and it's supposed to present it to you in a nicer looking and more readable format.

The problem is that the format, while somewhat nice, still has too many obtrusive ads, and it makes it very tedious to share a link to an article that points to the open web version rather than to an Apple News paywall (in cases where the content is freely available.)

Last edited:

freediverx00

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2020
LMAO Reader’s Digest?? This is LEGIT. I agree with the commenter who said Apple needs to pay me to look at these junk publications. It seems like we shifted into a new era and even Rolling Stone seems like some boomer dinosaur magazine now. Apple failed on this one.
Yeah Apple always amplifies content from mainstream (corporate-sponsored) media (NYT, Bloomberg, WSJ, etc.), rarely featuring something from sites like ProPublica or Mother Jones, and never from truly left-leaning (and reputable) sites or respected independent journalists who have left the corporate media for platforms like Substack. Basically, they promote centrist, pro-business but socially-liberal stories while always suppressing anything that reflect badly on American-style capitalism, government cronyism, and the pitfalls of a corporate-owned media.

I respect them curating news from this perspective by default, but not without the option to reformat the news feed to reflect user preferences (while still blocking actual fake news or hate sites.)

Last edited:
  • Disagree

Thebrochure

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2021
I'm so old school, that I mourn the loss of news papers. But even I can see the reality of the way the world turns these days. If you have the internet, news is free. And anything newsworthy behind a paywall, is outside of said paywall within a matter of seconds.

Thebrochure

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2021
Rolling Stone was huge with 90's youth, so it definitely isn't just a "boomer" thing.

zobby

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2011
Tried it last time for 3 months. Seldom used. For the U.K. there’s very little U.K. centric content. Pity as it could have been quite good. Can’t see it lasting myself but you never know.

Cunir

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2021
i was a bit underwhelmed at first with all the adverts, but after you've put a lot of time and training into it (and i really do mean a lot!) then it's actually not too bad and i use it pretty much every day now.

my tips: in order to get it to show just the stories you like then you need to block all the apple curated stuff like 'apple news spotlight', 'apple news today' and 'apple news top stories'. and don't follow any channels whatsoever -- that's how most of the stories you don't want get through. just concentrate on the topics, liking all the variations of the topics you like, and blocking all the variations of the topics you don't like.

it's not enough to just block the entire topic of 'football', for example, you need to block everything from 'manchester utd' and 'premier league' to 'fa cup' and 'world cup' and all the other bazillions of similar topics

and likewise, if you want stories about UK politics then you have to like all the different variations from 'uk politics' and 'uk government' to 'uk parliament', 'prime minister of the UK', 'UK house of commons', 'member of parliament of the UK' and as many similar topics you can think of.

and eventually, after a few weeks (and a lot of patience), it will just show lots of stories that you do want

Last edited:
Reactions: CoMoMacUser

tkaravou

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2020
For people interested in magazines and news, it's actually a really solid service, especially since they put back the features from Texture. This is obviously not meant for everything, especially people who get their news from Macrumors.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I'm holding out for a better deal - Apple paying me $10/month to use Apple News+ ?

I know, tell me about it. I think I might do $2-3/month, but $10 is just way overpriced for what you get. Or at least include it in the lower bundles of the all in plans. I have a feeling the fault partly lies with Apple's typical greed, but also with greedy and desperate, dying publishers who are probably charging Apple very high fees to use their content.

• Disagree
Reactions: DeepIn2U

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm holding out for a better deal - Apple paying me $10/month to use Apple News+ ?
Honestly I actually like News/News+ format vs Fliipboard. Flipboard's layout was cool initially but the juxtapose navigation is tiring to say the least and actually less discoverable on local or regional or global content at a rapid need.

Honestly wished some of the content wasn't paid based but having 1 price for ALL is much much better than a multiple individual subscriptions. With internet content providers for news, startups or smaller businesses like TMZ (not educational or as good writing prose as FinancialPost or The New Yorker of course) making money off their ads ... I'm curious how The New Yorker and others still imbedded ads in the paid servicer (I'm sure they do) are agreed upon by Apple or the iOS user?

I mean if you're paying for the content would you still put up with ads in between your movies that you're paying+streaming on Netflix, Tubi, Crave etc?! Especially for news which has you more mentally engaged - nope. Can anyone comment of News+ content from multiple providers actually still places ads in the new content?

• Disagree
Reactions: spinedoc77

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Apple News sucks. It would suck even if it were free, but it especially sucks when you're paying to still see obnoxious ads littering every news article and magazine. Also, favoriting or blocking news sources has almost no effect, as Apple's "human curated" news layout never adapts to user preferences and will show blocked out spaces for news items from sources the user blocked.

The only Apple interface that's actually worse is that of the Apple TV app.
How exactly does it suck?

All "news" providers have some content one user or another wants yet doesn't provide.

• Disagree

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I know, tell me about it. I think I might do $2-3/month, but $10 is just way overpriced for what you get. Or at least include it in the lower bundles of the all in plans. I have a feeling the fault partly lies with Apple's typical greed, but also with greedy and desperate, dying publishers who are probably charging Apple very high fees to use their content.
Greed? It's a capitalistic market: that goes without saying = greed.

What are you news sources and how does the content of words vs others compare, how engaging, how factual, how is the level of research for in-depth research and thus the resulting content compare? Is your news content more visual+audible sourced/providing - like video?

• Disagree
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.