Apple News - Why No Comments?

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by Vanilla35, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Just curious, why does Apple not allow comments in their Apple News app? Admittedly I don't use it very often, but when I do, and rarely stumble upon a thoughtful article; I find myself lacking that interaction that comes from reading comments.

Anyone feel the same way? I'm guessing this is just another way of Apple preventing mayhem in the comment section, but I genuinely like to learn from people's comments rather than become enraged by them.

2. willmtaylor, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

My take? Everyone doesn’t need a voice. Everyone’s voice doesn’t matter. The news is written and curated, primarily, by people paid to do so.

If the news forums on here prove anything, it’s that far too many people want to talk but have nothing to say.

Let’s just let the news be news. If one wants to discuss it with someone, he can do it with family, friends, or co-workers, and if he is just really itching to argue with strangers, he can hop on over to MRF PRSI.

Finally, the logistics of policing such feedback and comment would be monstrous. Just ask the MRF mods.

3. Vanilla35 thread starter macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Agree with most of that. I would also agree with the bold sentence above, but only 30% or so of the articles on these modern "news" apps are just snippet stories. They're not news at all, and that's why commentary would add more to the experience. Just feels cut short to me. Maybe most people don't care though.

4. NoBoMac, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019

NoBoMac macrumors 68000

You can always use the "Open in Safari" share sheet to see comments for articles that do have a comments section. Key phrase being "do have" as, imo, seems like sites are turning off comments sections entirely or on a per article basis more and more.

5. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

It takes time to adjust what you see. You have to tell it what you want to see, what you like, subjects you’re interested in. Tell it when you don’t like something and when you do. Over time what you see becomes more of what you like to read about.

6. trifid macrumors 68000

trifid

I agree, I find myself missing comments on some articles and I’m considering reducing my use of Apple news for this reason.

7. upnorth85 macrumors 6502a

upnorth85

I would love comments too. Most publications that want a spin, do not want to see comment section in the news. CNBC had comments for years but stopped it some 2 years back. Now they can spin it the way they want with no one able to point out inaccuracies. NYT, rarely allows comments on immigration related news. WSJ used to allow comment on all articles, now they open up comments in only a few articles. Apple could actually engage iphone users by adding comments.

8. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

I like the simplicity and single focus of not having comments.

9. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I think Apple wants to avoid entirely the crowd of neo-nazis and ****-stirrers that tend to infect any and all comment sections they can.

10. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

I'd rather not have comments. I"d probably stop using if there were.

11. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I'm actually glad there are no comments. Some blogs that allow comments, some of the comments are off the rails.

12. Digger148 macrumors regular

Digger148

It goes against the whole Screen Time thing. *wink, wink* I like that Apple News is like a springboard to either visit the Web to discover more or discuss, face to face, something you've read with real, live human beings, or, take what I've read while spending quality time in the restroom and get on with my day.

13. NoBoMac macrumors 68000

This.

I too like it as I have been using RSS feed apps for years now, and like that Apple News is basically a RSS feed. Can scan quickly for the interesting stuff, and don't have to dive into the potential cesspool of comment section if got what I need from the article itself.

14. Vanilla35 thread starter macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Agreed, they mainly seem to come up in political articles. There are a lot of upset people in the country, hence, Trump.

See I think the Apple News app looks super clean as it is, by far their best organized app. However, Flipboard does almost the exact same thing, and has had a comments part of their app since launch many years ago. It's basically the same thing, both apps have a "heart", a "share button" at the bottom, and then Flipboard also has a text bubble, whereby an overlay comes up and reads comments like FB comment sections shows; quite clean looking and doesn't interfere with the article or look of the app at all.

Must be they just don't want people speaking against said media content. It should be absorbed, not critiqued. One might call that having trust in the publisher, another might call that not being held accountable for false information.

Either way, for those non political articles, I still feel like a part of the article reading experience is missing; as it's just another level of engagement to see people comment with their own personal thoughts - especially when it's a touching story.

15. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The purpose of the app is to relay curated information to you, not provide a blog type comment section like some other websites.

If Apple start allowing comments, the app would become a cesspool. There is no shortage of places on the Internet to convert your thoughts about stories of interest to you.

16. Piplodocus macrumors regular

because the internet's already full of cnuts with irritatingly uninformed opinions that we don't all need to hear? :)

17. Phogro macrumors regular

Phogro

It's got o be primarily to avoid the need to moderate comment sections on its platform. Imagine how much additional costs would be involved in making sure these threads didn't turn into idiotic banter.

18. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502a

Minor correction based on your premise: Apple wants to avoid the controversy and extreme positions frequently found in comment sections.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 22, 2019 ---
    Unless, of course, the Apple News 'comments' section could be tied back to the source articles comments section, in which case Apple would not have any curation responsibility.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 22, 2019 ---
    I'll second this! Even when I don't like or agree with a story, I frequently learn something from reading the comments. Yes, even those that are annoying. Perception of reality is a wonderful thing and I sincerely hope I never reach a point where new perspectives are not an option.