Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
Hi.
Today morning, my Apple News widget showing the latest headline news was suddenly gone.
Okay, no problem, just put it back there…. No! It is completely GONE from within the widget selection screen!

I could get it back switching my region from Germany to United States, add the widget back and revert, however that only lasted for a couple of hours. It disappeared again!

The news app was never released here in Germany, but the news widget was and worked flawlessly with local news sites and I liked using it!

Anyone else from Germany (or maybe the whole EU is affected?) having the same problem? What the heck? 😵‍💫

Edit:
I first noticed it on my main device, an iPhone 14 Pro Max running iOS 17.5 beta 4 but the news widget is also gone on my 11 Pro with 17.4.1 and my X running latest iOS 16.

Last edited:

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I am located in Switzerland (so Europe but not EU), and I cannot add the News widget, it doesn't exist here. I saw it at some point a few months ago when clicking through stuff, but now it's gone.

qwanah

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2024
I can also confirm this happened to me today as well, both on my iPhone mini 12 and my brand new Macbook Pro 16". Running latest OS updated on both devices... My region is Sweden.

I hope this is fixed asap, very annoying.

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
Thank you both guys! That is so annoying. So they deactivated it on the server side in Europe.
I hope that it is just a bug and has nothing to do with all the EU-changes following DMA requirements and stuff, resulting in the news widget being turned off permanently on Europe 😵‍💫

UliBaer

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2024
Germany
Confirmed, the news widget is gone - in Germany - starting around midday. o_O
This is a real bummer and *WITHOUT* any prior notice from apple! :mad:
Their arrogance is proceeding to new dimensions... - ...aaand you'll love it!

...maybe it is time to leave the already sinking ship?

Reactions: tomtattoo

iLoveDeveloping

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2009
Ireland
Yep! Apple News gone for me too in Ireland and my wife’s iPhone! Posted it on Twitter and got 4 replies from people all over Europe sayings it’s gone too! No option to add it back in either! What’s going on?

Attachments

• IMG_7097.png
    IMG_7097.png
    754.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_7097.png
    IMG_7097.png
    754.5 KB · Views: 67

drak22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
In Spain I have never seen anything related to Apple News, neither widgets nor app. So it is not an error that has disappeared, the error was that you could use it.
If the app is not officially launched, it is because Apple has not reached an agreement with the press associations, either at the European level or in each country. Because she cannot show any news, because she runs the risk of being sued in court by newspapers and magazines. Surely they have notified Apple that this widget was functional and Apple has fixed the problem.

pjsingh

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2024
From New Zealand here, the widget is gone and unable to add back in. This widget was my daily dose of the local news

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
From New Zealand here, the widget is gone and unable to add back in. This widget was my daily dose of the local news
Wow, that is interesting! So not only Europe is affected!

Me too used it so get a quick glance at the latest news from different sources. There is no app that offers a widget with the same functionality ☹️

T2Rife

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2013
St Louis Metro Area
I am from the USA but live in Germany and have for over a year. I think since I have a USA icloud account (I have both a USA and local German sim) the widget still works for me. it must have something to do with what drak22 said though. The rights to distribute info are very complex.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
In Spain I have never seen anything related to Apple News, neither widgets nor app. So it is not an error that has disappeared, the error was that you could use it.
If the app is not officially launched, it is because Apple has not reached an agreement with the press associations, either at the European level or in each country. Because she cannot show any news, because she runs the risk of being sued in court by newspapers and magazines. Surely they have notified Apple that this widget was functional and Apple has fixed the problem.

Spain has very specific and restricted laws in regards of news copyrights

drak22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
Spain has very specific and restricted laws in regards of news copyrights
All countries have them, not just Spain. If it were a problem of local laws, which many reflect laws approved by the European Union, the service would be in Germany or France, but that is not the case.

drak22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
I believe that Apple News is only in countries where their official language is English. If you are not in Europe, Asia or Latin America, I sense that the problem is not so much reaching agreements with the press organizations that exist in these places, but rather that Apple tends to forget about the rest of the languages for many of its features, both of operating systems as services. Some of the features announced in iOS 17 only arrived in English, leaving the iOS version in the rest of the languages very empty. No english, no party.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
It is gone for us in France too, not sure when, but noticed it this morning. 🤷🏻‍♂️

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I believe that Apple News is only in countries where their official language is English. If you are not in Europe, Asia or Latin America, I sense that the problem is not so much reaching agreements with the press organizations that exist in these places, but rather that Apple tends to forget about the rest of the languages for many of its features, both of operating systems as services. Some of the features announced in iOS 17 only arrived in English, leaving the iOS version in the rest of the languages very empty. No english, no party.

Not true, as before yesterday it was working just fine in French in France.

rob2bob

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2021
Lucky me then. I’m UK and the News widget is still on my iPhone and iPad and updating ok.

Nipperserphil

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
Cologne
Here in Germany. On my wife's iPhone11 the news headlines widget has completely vanished. On my 14Pro I still have the widget .. but no content at all.
We are both running iOS 17.4.1

All seems a bit odd.

CindyVenter

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2024
Hi.
Today morning, my Apple News widget showing the latest headline news was suddenly gone.
Okay, no problem, just put it back there…. No! It is completely GONE from within the widget selection screen!

I could get it back switching my region from Germany to United States, add the widget back and revert, however that only lasted for a couple of hours. It disappeared again!

The news app was never released here in Germany, but the news widget was and worked flawlessly with local news sites and I liked using it!

Anyone else from Germany (or maybe the whole EU is affected?) having the same problem? What the heck? 😵‍💫

Edit:
I first noticed it on my main device, an iPhone 14 Pro Max running iOS 17.5 beta 4 but the news widget is also gone on my 11 Pro with 17.4.1 and my X running latest iOS 16.
Mine is also gone after 17.4.1 update. I'm in New Zealand

Cobbler82

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
In Italy, the same issue is happening. On the phones of two relatives (both using the 13 Pro model, if that matters), the widget has disappeared. On those phones the standard language is set to Italian, and there's no option to add ithe widget again. On my 15 Pro, with the default language set to English, the widget is still present, but no content is showing up. All the phones are running iOS 17.4.1

Last edited:

JonoNZ

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Yep, disappeared in NZ from all devices (iOS, iPadOS, macOS). For anyone running iOS 17.5 beta, do you still see the widget in those counties affected?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.