Apple Newton 110 Questions

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Warlach, May 24, 2008.

1. Warlach macrumors newbie

I just picked up a Apple Newton MessagePad 110 for AUS$20 in a second hand clothing store that had no idea what it had, and just have a few questions:

There's a fair bit of info on getting the 2000 and the 2100 models online, either using wireless drivers or through an ethernet card, but I was curious as to what options were available for getting the 110 to talk to the internet?

Someone seemed to suggest pairing it with a Powerbook with OS 9, as I know the 110's can't run the Newton OS version needed to communicate with OS 10, but after that I'm a bit lost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You might want to visit this site.

I had a Newton 110, but it has been so long that I forget which cards and apps I used to get on line. Sorry. However, I don't remember browsing the Internet with the 110 -- only checking and sending e-mail.

3. Warlach thread starter macrumors newbie

As long as its possible to get the 110 online, it's all good. Someone says they may be able to write a Twitter client for it, which is my ultimate goal :)

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

With the 110 I know that you can check e-mail.

Added text: That is AOL e-mail. There was a Newton app that worked with AOL at the time. In the old days, AOL could not be accessed via the Web, only via a client. The person who wrote the AOL app, updated it when AOL updated their access client. However, if memory serves, he quit upgrading the AOL app and finally it did not work after AOL updated their access client. Note, I did not try any other e-mail accounts so I do not know if there were any other apps available to access other than AOL e-mail.
    Added text end.

Not sure about seeing the web/Internet.

No idea about a Twitter client for it.

IMHO, the 110 is really lacking compared to the MP2100. It simply does not have the resources that the MP2100 has. If you are really interested in getting into the Newton, then the MP2100 is the way to go.

Here are some key reasons why:
    - Faster
    - More memory
    - 2 PCMCIA card slots
    - Bigger backlit display
    - Much better hand writing recognition
    - Better sound output and recording

In simple terms, you can do much more with a MP2100 than a MP110.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Where you able to find what you needed?

Did the newtontalk.net site help you?