Apple nightmare... please HELP!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cezarb, Jun 29, 2009.

1. cezarb macrumors newbie

I'm on the fifth day calling Apple sales support and I can't believe the stupidity I'm being subjected to.

Here's my case:
    - pre-ordered Iphone 3GS
    - missed UPS deliveries (I was out of the country) and when I got back home found a note on my door saying that starting from that day, I had 5 days to go to UPS and pick up my new phone. Went to UPS an hour later.
    - UPS returned the phone, and after waiting for about 30 minutes to get an explanation, the UPS clerk tells me that it was considered a hot item and returned right away. Then why the note saying that I have 5 days to pick it up?
    - Got an email from Apple saying that my phone (I have an Iphone first generation that i'm using) will be deactivated and that the new phone will be activated in 5 days.
    - Called Apple and I was told that they can't do anything until they receive the new phone from UPS.
    - Called Apple 2 days later and the person I talked to said that they're trying to find out what happened and that they can't help me with anything.
    - 3 days later, another email from Apple saying that my new phone (which I didn't receive) will be activated in 2 days.
    - Called Apple again, had the same meaningless conversation, asked to talk to a supervisor and after waiting for one hour, decided to hang up.
    - 1 day to the deactivation of my current phone, I get another email saying, Congrats for buying the new phone...etc. I almost faint. I'm on the phone again and after about 90 minutes I get to talk to a supervisor which tells me that the phone was returned and it's in the system from get this... 4 days ago, BUT, they're still trying to track down the phone. I mean...what does it mean? Did they loose it??? I ask, why can't you send me another one? The answer... no that won't work, we have to send you the same phone you've returned :) I ask, WHEN? Well, we're doing the best we can! Really?
    - Wait, this gets better... After hanging up the phone, I get another email...
    "Thank you for contacting the Apple Store. We have received your return request. Please ship your package to the address shown on the return label..." Ship what package???? Are they completely clueless?? Why am I getting emails that don't make any sense to me?
    Can someone please tell me what the hell does this mean? Do they think that I need to return a phone which they've received 4 days ago??? I'm almost going postal here... after talking to 4 different people and spending more than 5 hours on the phone, I'm basically having my old IPhone deactivated and from the email, I'm expected to send back a phone which I haven't even received.
    Can anybody else offer any suggestions on how to get this resolved? Anyone knows a good lawyer? An executive's email? I've already submitted my case to consumer affairs...and i'm totally pist but I have no idea what else to do.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Do you have the UPS tracking number?
    That should say what happened and where the iphone is.
    Call again and try to speak to a supervisor or manager.
    I tend to get alot of clueless reps latelly also.

3. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Well, if you missed it the package wouldnt be back at the terminal an hour after stopping at your house unless it was the last stop.
    Unless UPS changed their policies the item would not be available until after 6pm or after the truck is reinventoried for the next days shipments.
    Having to listen to a coworker than missed his, the door ticket should state when the item will be redelivered and when a second attempt would be made.

Can you post the UPS tracking?

If UPS generated a return that would send a message back to Apple shipping stating to expect this package thereby generating a generic return message to you.

You may want to have the UPS tracking readily available to reference. Apple most likely will not credit you until the phone is returned. You candispute the charge on the CC but again you will need proof you didn't receive it so the UPStracking will be needed.

A lawyer, At $200+ an hour well good luck, a lot of lawyers charge a half hour for picking up the phone,

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Wow! Insanity. I got stuck at the part about UPS knowing what is in you package and then sending it back because it was considered a hot item!! :eek:

Since when does UPS know what is in your package?? And then to make a decision to return to sender because they need it more than you??????

The rest of the story sounds like a nightmare because it went straight downhill after that.

What I would do which is crazy, is go down to the Apple store, tell them I want a new phone and don't leave the store without it. I don't have patience for incompetence. Then I would let them straighten out the mess in their own time. In the meantime I would have a phone. It would be a easier and calmer battle that way. :cool:

Don't know if it would work but I would feel better about it. :)

5. cezarb thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, ok... the last delivery attempt was on the 06/22/2009 at 7:56 P.M. I got back on 23rd, which would've been the first day out of the 5 mentioned on the UPS note. I went to UPS on the 23rd... and from the tracking information, the package had already been returned on the 22nd.
    The UPS clerk asked me what was in the package and I did tell him it was an IPhone... at which point he did say that maybe it was flagged as a hot item (by the sender) to be returned right away after the 3rd delivery attempt. Not sure what the UPS rules are... I do find it strange though, especially because the note was clearly stating that they would hold the item for 5 days.

Tracking #: 1Z 679 W5Y 66 3975 306 1

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

it looks as if it has already returned to Apple.
    They tried to deliver it to you at GOLETA,
    CA, and now its returned to WEST SACRAMENTO, CA
    Im sure with all that info showing that you never received it and it was returned to them it shouldnt be a problem them either sending you another one or have you pick one up locally at an Apple store.
    Try to speak to someone in charge so they can take care of it for you.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

West Sacramento,
    Ca, Us 06/23/2009 9:38 A.m. Delivery
    06/23/2009 7:23 A.m. Out For Delivery
    06/23/2009 7:02 A.m. Destination Scan
    06/23/2009 5:58 A.m. Arrival Scan
    Mather,
    Ca, Us 06/23/2009 5:28 A.m. Departure Scan
    06/23/2009 3:56 A.m. Arrival Scan
    Ontario,
    Ca, Us 06/23/2009 2:52 A.m. Departure Scan
    06/23/2009 12:09 A.m. Arrival Scan
    Goleta,
    Ca, Us 06/22/2009 8:28 P.m. Departure Scan
    06/22/2009 7:56 P.m. Receiver Was Unavailable To Sign On 3rd Delivery Attempt / Shipper Requested Return Of Package
    06/22/2009 11:52 A.m. Receiver Was Unavailable To Sign On 3rd Delivery Attempt
    06/22/2009 8:08 A.m. Out For Delivery
    Goleta,
    Ca, Us 06/20/2009 12:48 P.m. The Receiver Was Not Available To Sign On The 2nd Delivery Attempt. A 3rd Delivery Attempt Will Be Made
    06/20/2009 9:58 A.m. Destination Scan
    Goleta,
    Ca, Us 06/19/2009 11:49 A.m. The Receiver Was Unavailable To Sign On The 1st Delivery Attempt. A 2nd Delivery Attempt Will Be Made
    06/19/2009 8:32 A.m. Out For Delivery
    06/19/2009 7:56 A.m. Out For Delivery
    06/19/2009 7:40 A.m. Arrival Scan
    Ontario,
    Ca, Us 06/19/2009 6:36 A.m. Departure Scan
    06/19/2009 4:51 A.m. Arrival Scan
    Louisville,
    Ky, Us 06/19/2009 3:56 A.m. Departure Scan
    Louisville,
    Ky, Us 06/18/2009 11:25 P.m. Import Scan
    Louisville,
    Ky, Us 06/17/2009 4:00 A.m. The Package Is Being Held For Future Delivery. Ups Will Attempt Delivery On The Date Requested
    06/17/2009 2:06 A.m. Arrival Scan
    Anchorage,
    Ak, Us 06/16/2009 6:52 P.m. Departure Scan
    06/16/2009 1:48 P.m. Arrival Scan
    Chek Lap Kok,
    Hk 06/16/2009 11:14 P.m. Origin Scan
    06/16/2009 7:49 P.m. Departure Scan
    Shenzhen,
    Cn 06/16/2009 10:56 A.m. Origin Scan
    Cn 06/16/2009 1:14 A.m. Billing Information Received

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I guess they counted the first delivery attempt on the 19th as the first day and shipped it back the morning of the 5th day.

Though they held onto it an additional 2 days before all of this.

9. cezarb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Applejuiced,
    Those were exactly my expectations. I did ask on the phone if I can go pick another phone from an Apple store and I was told not to do it because it would cause more problems and confusion and that they won't be able to give me another phone unless I paid for it and, on top of it, they won't give me a refund for 40 days.
    I would be willing to wait but for how long? I asked that question and I was told that they're not sure but that they're trying to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. My suspicion is that they can't find it...or they've already sent it to someone else and now they're short...waiting for more phones to come in. I did read about a lot of malfunctioning phones so I think they're having a bigger issue and they're not willing to make it public.
    In the mean time, I have to call AT&T and tell them not to deactivate my current phone...which I'll do tomorrow. That's the response I got from Apple, when I told them that the emails about deactivation are coming from Apple, not AT&T...however, the deactivation will come from AT&T.
    Another 2 days of frustration and I might just give up and ask for a refund.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They should fix it right away, and since obviously you can prove it that it was send back to apple and not delivered to you what happened to the iphone is their problem not yours. You never received it or signed for it. So they should resolve this right away and fix your account. You should call Apple and demand them to send you another one today or refund your card right now. You're not paying for anything you didnt receive and you're not waiting 40 days. Thats nonsense.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I though California had some better consumer protection laws, that at least mean a timely refund of reship when you pre-pay and don't receive it on the first try -- especially when they already have it back.

Isn't like they have to investigate what happened to a package.

I paid, I didn't get it, they got it back already. And they are refusing a timely refund and not allowing me to simply pick it up at the Apple Store.

12. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Hopefully it gets straightened out, but you did not represent what happened properly in the original post.

You made it seem like they tried to deliver it one time and then shipped it right back.

They tried to deliver it 3 times over a period of 5 days.

Personally if I was going to be out of the country when I was expecting a delivery like that, I would have made arrangements to get the package somehow.

Not sure what you were expecting to have happen. That doesn't explain why they are having trouble getting it straightened out, other than they have been extremely busy, I suspect since the phone came out.

I tried to get a relative a Genius Bar appointment for a non new iphone issue, and it took me 7 days of trying to even get an appointment scheduled. They are slammed across the board.

As for the other notifications and emails talking about it, those come from a completely different place. They are not controlled nor managed by the people who handle shipping. It is very easy to see why you got those messages even with your problems.

13. cezarb thread starter macrumors newbie

marksman, i did say that I've missed the deliveries and that the UPS note did say that I have 5 days from the day after the last delivery to pick it up from their center.
    My problem is not that they're backed up. I wish they were straight forward and say, hey... you'll have to wait for 2 weeks... but answers like...we're not sure, we're trying, we're going to... are just tactics of making you give up and wait for...well who knows how long.
    Also, another problem is that their system generates emails that make you feel like you're talking to deaf ears. Why am I being cautioned that my old phone will be deactivated...one day at a time? Is that supposed to make me feel like they know what they're doing? How come I get an email saying that they now expect me to return the phone, minutes after I was reassured on the phone that they've received it? I mean... c'mon, isn't this supposed to be a technology company?
    I will try to call them tomorrow and demand a new phone or a refund... Applejuiced is right, I totally forgot that I'm the customer (and a damn good one too having spent a few thousand dollars on Apple products).

14. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

All the UPS guys knew they were delivering iphones. The ups guy brought 4 to my office and told the receptionist that they were iphones and she should be careful with them. Then he dumped all the other boxes in the corner.