Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I guess calling Apple jerks worked after all.

Frankly, I totally agree 100% on this one. Basically, Apple was saying that they didn't want chargers that support both lightning connectors and the old 30 pin connector. Why not? There's still a gazillion 30 pin devices out there, and not everyone wants to have to pay more $$ to support both, and in the case of this device in particular it makes no sense at all.

But hey, you're the guys with the iPhones, not me. If you want to cheer on things that are bad for you in the long run, go for it! I'll sit here laughing. *sigh* the joys of being a mac user.

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Good one.

After all and no matter how you call it... lighting is nothing more than Apple wanting to charge for an overpriced USB cable with a little twist.

It sucks that Apple's ecosystem is so good... I wish I could hate them sometimes.

Now that kickstarter project gives me ideas, for an organized power-charging station on the room.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I'm not sure what Apple wanted to do with lightning, tbh. Didn't someone say that the problem with Apple's competitors was that they wanted to come up with something to make themselves unique instead of focusing on how to make a good product?

I see this one as a unique selling point in a way, if they licensed it out more freely you could get cheaper cables and maybe even other phones and electronics could use it.

Anyway, speaking of making good products, they could start making macbook power bricks with detachable/replaceable DC power cables.

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I'm not sure what Apple wanted to do with lightning, tbh.

The stated goal was to allow thinner components, however the two connectors are almost the same thickness. Lightning is narrower and it allows flexibility on what is carried over most of the connections. It can also be inserted with either side "up" and "down".

Beligerent

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Concord, NH
I dont see how Apple can think this doesnt leave a bad taste in consumers mouths. Granted most people will never hear this story and will happily chug along with their iToys..it's only tech geeks like us that will ever know about this. Apple has been nothing but terrible to developers, resellers and mostly to the innovative people that love their products. If I remember correctly (and I MIGHT be wrong) I believe Griffin Technology had a similar problem with Apples goons when they made the iTrip way back in like 2002

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.