Apple, No in store Pick up?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kyliec89, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Kyliec89 macrumors member

I am on a chat with a Apple rep, and she is telling me that there is not an option to pick up the phone in store on a preorder this year? I hope this isn't true, because I am going to pay with a gift card, and online ordering might prevent that...

Me: i plan to preorder tomorrow also, so will i need to put a credit card down or will i be able to pay with just my gift card?
    Coreen: I'm not sure how this will work.
    Coreen: In the past, you do not get charged until your item ships.
    Me: if i preordered and picked up in store, i would complete the payment there correct? and then i could just use the card there...?
    Coreen: At this time there is not an option to preorder for pick up at the store.

2. Built macrumors 68020

They don't know.

I believe there has been plenty of stuff put out by Apple about in-store pickup.

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Apple chat reps do not know anything that is not publicly available in Apple's site.

4. Built macrumors 68020

This Yolanda sure gets around!

5. dpw84 macrumors member

6. Kyliec89 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, i swore I had seen it before, but she just seemed so sure about it that I was about to freak. They should really train people. Stupid. Well I am relieved now.

7. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

What she said is correct. At THIS TIME there is no availabilty for preordering to pick up in the store. Also, those people don't know anything more then we do so I don't know why people keep asking them for information.

8. DaftDrunk macrumors regular

Through the desert on a horse with no name
    Well, shes right isn't she? The option to preorder for pick up won't be available until tomorrow.

9. AppleSpice macrumors member

She could have been responding to your work usage. To my understanding, there are no pick-up options for "pre-orders." In order to get it in the store on launch day, you can either reserve it, or camp out for some reason, both options paying when you get the phone. And with reserve you have to pick it up by a certain time to be guaranteed one.

10. Kyliec89 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, could be. That makes sense.

11. Kyliec89 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah but I clearly said "tomorrow" in the first line... I am pretty sure thats not what she was saying.

12. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I was about to point out the same thing. It would be stupid to nitpick words and not mention it, but truthfully, you can not "pre-order" and pick it up, only reserve it and pick it up.

13. mysticbluebmw macrumors regular

Ha, put that one to bed!!

14. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

She's technically correct. You "pre-order" online for delivery, you make a "reservation" for in-store. You submit your payment method when pre-ordering, you're "buying" the phone ahead of time. When doing in-store pickup you're just reserving a phone. You don't submit any payment information. If you don't show up to get it, they offer the phone to someone else.

So "pre-orders" are for delivery and "reservations" are for in-store pickup. At least that's the way Apple's worded it previously.

15. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    People seem to be easily confused by the terminology here.

Pre-order: order online and provide credit card/payment information and the iPhone will be shipped directly to your designated address.

Reserve for in-store pickup: place a reserve online for pickup at an Apple store which is convenient to you; no pre-payment or CC authorization necessary at this time, simply provide the info about which model/capacity/color is desired and provide your email address. A confirmation email will be sent to that email address announcing that the iPhone 4 model and color you have chosen will be available for pickup at the store you have designated, with the date and time period (probably 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM) indicated.

On Launch Day arrive at the Apple store, tell them your name and the info about which iPhone 4 model/color you have reserved....pull out the plastic CC and pay and you're the happy new owner of an iPhone 4!

16. Kyliec89 thread starter macrumors member

Have any of you heard of anyone being able to use a gift card as payment for a online preorder for delivery? I want to do this, but if I can't I will just "reserve" for in store and figure it out there.

17. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

I know that with the iPad there was a big issue about the only form of payment being permitted was a credit card with the purchaser's name embossed on it. Gift cards (even Apple's own!) were not permitted, those prepaid cards that you can get at some stores were not permitted, etc., etc. This applied not only to online orders but to in-store purchases.

18. apple3g040193 macrumors 6502

apple3g040193

Is their any fee to pre order or reserve a phone.

19. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

No fee to place a reservation on an iPhone; with the preorder, yes, you will have to provide the credit card information for paying for the iPhone (will actually not be billed until the phone is shipped) but there is no additional fee for this.

20. apple3g040193 macrumors 6502

apple3g040193

Thank you thats what I thought.

21. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Train their CSRs or train people to read the Apple website?:D

22. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

No, not true. Gift cards were allowed online, but not in store. Because ordering online the could track your purchase. Paying with a gift card in store they had no way of tracking your purchase, that's why it was prohibited. But gift cards were accepted for online payment.

23. dagomike macrumors 65816

Yup no pre-order pickups. Reservation pickups.

24. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Thank you for that; since I was going by information I recalled from the iPad scenario and since for me it wasn't an issue anyway since I'd used a debit card with my name embossed on it to purchase my iPad in the store, I guess I hadn't paid attention to some of the finer details of that whole gift card scenario. That is good to have a clarification here about this!