Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nsfw

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2009
I downgraded to 8.3 to regain Home Sharing, and I knew I had to do it quickly before they stopped signing it (which, by the way, seems like a bit of a dick move - is there a technical reason for this?).
It's not a technical issue but rather a licensing issue.

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
There are a handful of jailbreak features I use sporadically, but two that I use daily, if not hourly.

1) Double-tap power button to turn on the flash light.
2) BiteSMS -- quick compose a text message (or imessage) by press volume up and tapping the middle of the screen, read text messages in toto and compose text messages without leaving (or minimizing) the current app. You can even set a text message to send at a certain time. This is such a deal breaker for me. No idea why Apple hasn't implemented something like this.
Off topic a bit, but any clue if icleaner is compatable with the 6 and 8.3?

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Thanks to Tim Cook, some of us have learned to not update Apple's software straight away. I am still on 8.3 with iPhone 6 Plus and 7.1.2 on iPad Air, so far those are the two best iOS versions for those two devices..

But how do you know those are the best versions if you don't upgrade to the latest to find out as everyone's devices work differently it seems.

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
But how do you know those are the best versions if you don't upgrade to the latest to find out as everyone's devices work differently it seems.
I think it's more that different things bug different people, 6 hours battery life on 8.3 and 5 on 8.4 might be enough for the subconscious to come to the conclusion it's junk...

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I've been jailbreaking since my 3gs. I have installed many free apps (mobile terminal, ScummVM, f.lux, etc.) and some essential apps (BiteSMS) but never a single pirated app, if that's what you're trying to say.

Yes, that's almost what I'm saying. That is the allure for a lot of people. Never accused anyone or put a percentage on it. Just saying that is one thing some may deal in.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I think it's more that different things bug different people, 6 hours battery life on 8.3 and 5 on 8.4 might be enough for the subconscious to come to the conclusion it's junk...

Yeah I know what your saying but what I meant was we have people saying that 8.4 is working good and they see better battery than 8.3 so how does this person I quoted know for sure that it will work poorly for them if they never try it?

I was on 8.3 and upgraded to 8.4 immediately could tell my iPhone 5 was smoother scrolling, pages seems faster, seemed more fluid yet I could tell battery wasn't great and I hated the new music app so I reverted back to 8.3 and I was happy for a few days then I thought I'd give the music app one more chance before Apple stops signing and today I read they stopped signing so looks like I'm stuck with 8.4 but what can I do, it was my choice, didn't think they would stop signing so quickly.

My point is I tried to new IOS and can fairly give results for me but if I never upgrade to find out then I'm basing my decision not to upgrade on someone else's results and their phone.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007

One can rather effectively distill the truth to most OS updates by simply waiting and listening.

By reading many threads here at MR, and also other forums/Reddit. Also by reading blogs written by non-corporate folks, as the corporate, big-time blogs all tend to cheer all that Apple does and are not that into the constructive criticism.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

ardent73

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Probably not. Apple's business model requires that most if not all of their customers be on the latest version of OS X/iOS, so it's not surprising that they stop signing the previous version quickly.

So Apple's business model is you don't own the iDevice, the iDevice owns you?

I finally upgraded to 8.4 from 6.1.3 since almost all my apps stopped working. Now all my apps work but all the iOS Apple stuff is screwed up. I still can't believe they messed up the wallpapers sizing and you can't resize them with iOS! Also, I removed 2.5GB of video & net loss of 5 apps to make space for the update and can't put any videos back because of the iOS 7-8 bloat and App bloat. I have the same 1GB free that I had under 6.1.3!

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I tried 8.4 for a few days last week and then downgraded right back to 8.3. I can't remember why now I didn't like 8.4 but I'm staying on 8.3 for a long while on all my devices.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Never jailbroken any device, but if I had to guess, I'd say free apps, tethering, features not supported natively to iOS, free apps.
Main thing for me is that it's nice to be ready to install any software you want. I haven't jailbroken because I don't trust this Taig and Pangu crap, but I miss it. If you want to generate the most random list possible, ask an avid jailbreaker why he jailbroke...

Unlimited skips and no ads on iTunes Radio.
Terminal and iFile, which I used to delete the stupid camera shutter sound and change the BBC app's notification sound.
Community-provided patches for SSL vulnerabilities and other things like the "effective power" bug way before Apple pushes real updates.
Emulators.
Free in-app purchases (in some cases).
The ability to delete ****ing Newsstand.

Last edited:

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007

You own it., do wat you like. But if you want to use Apple's software and services, be prepared to play by their rules. It's one of the reasons Apple does so well on customer satisfaction, especially on iOS - it's not as open to customising and tweaking as OS X, Windows or Android, but from my own experience and what I've read it generally performs with less issues.

I finally upgraded to 8.4 from 6.1.3 since almost all my apps stopped working. Now all my apps work but all the iOS Apple stuff is screwed up.

I'd book myself in for an appointment at the Apple Store, "all the iOS Apple stuff is screwed up" sounds bad.

can't put any videos back because of the iOS 7-8 bloat and App bloat. I have the same 1GB free that I had under 6.1.3!

One man's bloat, another man's useful features. Give me app extensions, TouchID, Apple Pay (amongst other things) and take a few GB of my storage. For me well worth worth it.

Hopefully iOS 9 helps you as it's much lighter.

iOS 9 does even more to efficiently stream new updates to your device without having to first download and unpack them — which means you don’t need as much free space to update. And when it’s time for an update, you’ll get new notification options that let your device update while you sleep or when you use it least.

iOS 9 1.3GB
iOS 8 4.58GB

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios9-preview/#foundation

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
SO we upgrade and find out it makes our devices actually perform worse, and then we can't downgrade to the OS that actually was fine before. Wow.

You've had a whole week to do just that but you left it too late. You also had the choice not to update, but meh - it's easier to blame someone else, innit?

Last edited:

darkknight14

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2011

I finally upgraded to 8.4 from 6.1.3 since almost all my apps stopped working. Now all my apps work but all the iOS Apple stuff is screwed up. I still can't believe they messed up the wallpapers sizing and you can't resize them with iOS! Also, I removed 2.5GB of video & net loss of 5 apps to make space for the update and can't put any videos back because of the iOS 7-8 bloat and App bloat. I have the same 1GB free that I had under 6.1.3!

Why don't you just backup your phone to iCloud, wipe your phone, and then apply the latest iOS version via restoring last backup.

Re download your apps, sign up for Apple Music, watch your photos download from the cloud - this will likely take an hour..

The reason I say this is that your jumping two major iOS versions on a device you have likely had for nearly 5 years, lots of dust needs sweeping.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
....I finally upgraded to 8.4 from 6.1.3 since almost all my apps stopped working....

If you don't mind me asking, what apps had stopped working? (out of curiosity) I read before, that basically every app has a time bomb certificate on it and once it reaches the date that app goes kaput (so eventually the phone become almost unusable without updates). A friend had a iPhone 5 with 6.1.x on it last year and had only lost FaceTime (if memory serves) at that point.

martimer

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
This is the worst news at the worst time. I just upgraded to 8.4 yesterday and tried to use the new Music app this morning. It is terrible and almost does not work! Where is my list of songs? How do I shuffle? If I want to hear a particular song I have to spend time searching for it or digging down through various menus. Note that I mostly use my phone as an iPod.

Apple, please stop "fixing" things that are not broken!!!

Cancelled
Apr 21, 2015
This is the worst news at the worst time. I just upgraded to 8.4 yesterday and tried to use the new Music app this morning. It is terrible and almost does not work! Where is my list of songs? How do I shuffle? If I want to hear a particular song I have to spend time searching for it or digging down through various menus. Note that I mostly use my phone as an iPod.

1. List of songs is under My Music.

2. Shuffle by changing default Artists to Songs in My Music and then playing as normal with shuffle enabled in playback controls.

3. If you want to hear a specific song JUST ASK SIRI TO PLAY IT. There's no reason to "dig through menus" or even sort through your library. "Hey Siri, play This Time of Night by New Order" aaaand done.

I fail to see where the real problem lies with your complaints. It's not the fault of 8.4, it looks more like PEBKAC.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008

Don't panic. It's all there, just takes a while to get used to.

"Where is my list of songs?"
Tap the red 'Artists' text in the centre (with the down chevron next to it) and select Songs. It defaults to Artist which is a bit confusing. Your songs list is now beneath that and scrollable.

"How do I shuffle?"
Once you've hit play on something, tap on the song title (right at the bottom of the screen) and the familiar "Now playing" screen will pop up with shuffle, repeat, artwork etc.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
If you don't mind me asking, what apps had stopped working? (out of curiosity) I read before, that basically every app has a time bomb certificate on it and once it reaches the date that app goes kaput (so eventually the phone become almost unusable without updates). A friend had a iPhone 5 with 6.1.x on it last year and had only lost FaceTime (if memory serves) at that point.

I don't think so. I do know there have been some issues with the FaceTime app due to a third party something or other (this was several years ago), and that might have been why your friend's FaceTime app stopped working.

Another reason is that apps often get updated through iTunes, and sometimes the new updated version no longer works on ancient iOS versions.

ardent73

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010

When I said 'almost all' I meant of the important apps. Most of the the non-important apps still worked.

Banking apps,AT&T app ,TiVo app, iCloud 2 factor login & backup,etc. all had stopped working as they became more outdated.

ardent73

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Why don't you just backup your phone to iCloud, wipe your phone, and then apply the latest iOS version via restoring last backup.

Re download your apps, sign up for Apple Music, watch your photos download from the cloud - this will likely take an hour..

The reason I say this is that your jumping two major iOS versions on a device you have likely had for nearly 5 years, lots of dust needs sweeping.

I didn't mean to imply that it's not working as designed. The problem is how poorly it's designed. Apple sets a higher standard and am holding them to it. This isn't upgrading from Windows 95 to Windows 2000...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.