Apple Non Standard Connectors

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by nebo1ss, Oct 16, 2013.

1. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Why does apple continue to make non standard connectors on their iphone, ipad and Itouch products. Apple was among many suppliers that signed an agreement in Europe in 2009 to use the Micro USB as a standard. Every other manufacturer that signed that agreement now confirm to the Micro USB standard except apple.

There is no benefit other than profit on selling adapters for apple to continue with a non standard connector.

They sell a Micro USB to lightning adapter and consider this satisfies the original agreement.

The problem is their customers are put at a disadvantage when they upgrade.
    An upgrade from a 4S to a 5S for example immediately makes redundant all the docks, car adapters and cables you may have around the house and involve expensive replacement.

The fact that they include technology in their adapters to force third party manufacturers to license it and keep prices up is nothing but an insult to their customers.

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

The lightening connector is 10 times better than the 30 pin was. I was glad to get rid of old cables in favor of it.

3. nebo1ss thread starter macrumors 68030

Is it any better than a Micro USB which every other phone manufacturer makes use of.

4. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

Rainer Brockerhoff explained the reasoning for The Loop. Here are some highlights:

"Micro-USB isn't smart or powerful enough for Apple."

"Brockerhoof explained that the industry-standard Micro-USB plug only has 5 pins, which wouldn't allow most dock-connector functions to work properly."

"Basically, if Apple had chosen Micro-USB, the port would only be able to charge and sync the device, not transmit video signals or do other advanced functions."

5. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

I think so. Micro USB ports are very susceptible to wear. I've had to replace a lot of cables and failed USB ports on old phones in the past. The pins in them wear out and won't allow it to work. I'm sure many people here can attest to at least one time they spent fighting a wobbly micro USB cable that would only charge when you tweaked it to one side.

6. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

thats what killed my blackberry. The port was no good. The phone worked but I could not charge it. I had to charge the battery in an old blackberry I had.

7. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

My point exactly. My old blackberry phones had the same issue. They wore too easy and when they started to become wobbly, you were done for.

The lightning connector is solid. Plus there are no weak pins on it or thin plastic pieces to snap like a micro USB.

8. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

Yes…it plugs in either way it's flipped. The lightning did not make my 30pin useless, I just slapped on an adapter and kept all my old cables.

9. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Another one here that can vouche for many failed micro USB ports I've had two do it but my poor mom I admit she unplugs and plugs them up a lot but no worse than her ipad she's had 2 tablets and 2 phones stop charging just last year so I helped her get an ipad and older Iphone and no such problems since.

10. Partridge macrumors 6502

Nice troll. Seriously. Have you used a lightning connector device yet? It's far superior to microUSB. Far and away superior.

11. nebo1ss thread starter macrumors 68030

I am not sure you know what a Troll is. Yes, I have a 5s phone so have used a lightning connector. You might consider it superior to MicroUSB I don't see any advantage and prefer the universal nature and availability of MicoUSB.

If Apple had honoured the agreement they signed in 2009 the iphone 4, 4S, 5, 5S and 5C would all have microUSB now.

12. takeshi74, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Why do people continue to beat on this dead horse? If you don't see the point then use whatever you see the point in.

In short, because dock accessories.

There are benefits. Your inability to see them doesn't mean that they don't exist.

Better is always a highly subjective matter. I find it to be better. YMMV depending on your specific priorities.

Nothing wrong with that. However, Apple has selected Lightning. It's your call as to whether the connector is a priority above all other considerations. It seems that you decided when you bought your device that other considerations took priority over the connector. If not, I highly suggest considering your purchases more carefully in the future. This thread isn't going to change Apple's direction just as all prior threads on the topic have not. What you can change, however, are your own actions.

The 30 pin dock connector was around for quite some time. No idea how long Lightning will be around but certainly for at least several generations so this isn't something that has to be done each year. Regardless, technology changes. If you're expecting to use the same tech for decades then you're going to be disappointed no matter what.

It's not like you're the only one going through this. I've gone through this and it was worth it to me. If it's not worth it to you then you bought the wrong product.

Further, there are the Lightning adapters and people can and do use them. I currently use them.

13. nebo1ss thread starter macrumors 68030

I would not say that Apple is noted for the reliability of its cables. I have had failures on the magnetic power charger for the Macpro as well as their 30 pin cables. Have not been using the Lightning long enough to experience a failure but doubt it would be any more stable than any of the other Apple cables.

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

No, the original agreement required CHARGERS to use standard connectors.

Apple uses standard USB-A on their charger. It is UNIVERSAL. An android handset can plug into it, and your iPhone can be plugged into a Samsung USB-A charger.

The charger had to have a hardwired pigtail with microUSB.
    OR
    The charger had to have a universal port, and ship with an adapter cable.

Apple ships a USB-Lightning adapter cable with their Universal charger.

15. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

I don't see MicroUSB cables more available than lightning based cables. There are 2 cables at my work because I've put them there. Now there is a lighntning cable, because I've left it there. It's not that the MicroUSB (unlike lightning) is growing on trees. So what's your issue?