Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Not Exhibiting at CES 2010

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

MacUser received word from the Consumer Electronics Association's Jason Oxman that Apple is not exhibiting at CES 2010, confirming a report by Engadget debunking the original Wall Street Journal report.
"Apple is a member of the trade association, but they are not signed up as an exhibitor for CES," said Jason Oxman, senior vice president of Industry Affairs for the CEA. Oxman also told Macworld that while Steve Jobs had been invited to speak at CES, the organization has not yet received a reply.
The original Wall Street Journal report has since been corrected. Oxman does confirm, however, that Steve Jobs has been invited to speak at CES, but has not yet responded to the offer.

Article Link: Apple Not Exhibiting at CES 2010

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Shocking? But is Steve on the Apple Campus or not? iThink that Apple said that the whole point of not attending MacWorld was an overall effort of decreasing trade shows.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
I guess they can schedule an event of their own at anytime.

which was the whole point of them dropping the planned events. gives them their own schedule. the only event that they will keep is WWDC because, imo, its too big and too important.

this news is in no way shocking.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Thank god. Who the hell wants to wait that long for the new tablet/whatever it will be? :D

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
:(... I was so excited yesterday when I heard that Apple was going to be there. Now it's just another rumor busted.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Maybe Steve Jobs will show up anyway, sneak in the back entrance, storm the stage, and announce wonderful new products until the security guards grab him.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I do wonder when Steve Jobs will make his next keynote. Possibly at the ipod that is usually held in September?

Bjohnson33

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2006
I guess they can schedule an event of their own at anytime.

I think this is the key - instead of having to work by someone else's timeline, they can announce products whenever they think the time is best. It will probably make life a lot easier - it must be tough planning for a date months into the future to have something ready to present. Now all they need is one or two weeks notice for an event they can hold at their own campus.

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Makes sense, there's a reason why they dropped out of Macworld.

A poor one, IMO. I like trade shows. Most geeks should. It's all about the hands-on, visual aspect of it all that entices me.

I'm sure many apologists who are regularly sent new tech gadgets for review are happy to justify Apple pulling out. Meanwhile, the rest of the consumer world is sadly missing out on something special.

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
In your face, conventional journalism!

I love Engadget's comment after exposing the WSJ story as generally made up:

"Of course, the greatest irony of this little dinner was the lively debate at the end of the evening sparked by one particular old school BusinessWeek journalist who laid claim that tech blogs like Engadget publish first and ask questions later. Right."

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/30/wsj-apple-going-to-ces-2010-reality-nope/

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
The old 'Grandma was up on the roof' story eh? If it was the New York Post or (notorious obituary pre-empter) Bloomberg, I could understand, it's just link bait, but I fear someone at the WSJ dropped their papers on the floor and published the news in the wrong order. That's life, I guess.

No doubt Apple will be exhibiting at CES - they're more than a computer company now, you know. They're just trying to break it gently.

At some late stage, an opening will become available and Apple will just happen to step into a surprisingly large space. Steve will unexpectedly be declared fit to appear, and the way MacBook sales are going at the moment, he'll serve up Bill-Gates-hind-quarters steak for lunch.

Whatever reason Apple gives for not attending Macworld and whatever reason Macworld gives for moving away from CES, you have to admit, the picture looks a lot less confounding if you factor in Apple moving to CES.

I almost find myself hoping that Steve doesn't have some insanely great consumer product ready to launch in January (for Macworld's sake - they stood by the community even when Apple didn't).

freediverdude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
And you guys are surprised that since Murdoch purchased the WSJ that it's slowly becoming Fox News- Print Edition? They're slowly losing their credibility, just like I predicted.

oyebto

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
Singapore
A poor one, IMO. I like trade shows. Most geeks should. It's all about the hands-on, visual aspect of it all that entices me.

I'm sure many apologists who are regularly sent new tech gadgets for review are happy to justify Apple pulling out. Meanwhile, the rest of the consumer world is sadly missing out on something special.

its all right, palm presumably will still be there. =)

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I should've known the WSJ's story was too good to be true. I was imagining Microsoft basking in the glow of releasing Windows 7. Then, here's Apple to steal their thunder. :D
Ah well. It was good while it lasted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.