Apple not just refusing cash, also refusing Apple Gift Cards for iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dybbuk, Oct 28, 2007.

1. aerospace macrumors 6502a

tI think thats the stupidest thing I've heard in long awhile...

...and I surf the net everyday! :eek:

2. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Stupid is people denying Apple $400+ bucks over the life of the required contract and expecting them to do nothing about it.

How about I come take $400 from you...let's see what actions you take. I bet they are more serious than making me use a credit card.

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Wow, when i said in another thread about the no cash thing that we couldn't use gift cards i was just joking .... guess its true though..

Although to get around this you can always get those rechargeable visa cards ...

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I'm still at a loss as to how they could refuse cash payment.....:confused:
    But refusing gift cards is either the dumbest thing ever or the greatest marketing scheme possible for getting double the money out of everyone.

e.g.
    -Oh I can't use this 300 gift card for the iphone?
    +No, but you can use it to buy accessories.
    -Oh, so I buy the 400 dollar iphone and then I can use the 300 dollar gift card for accessories?
    +Yes, you can spend 500 dollars of your own money instead of the original 100 you thought you were going to.

5. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Or they could just learn the policy, then if they really want an iPhone, someone giving them the gift can buy the iPhone with their credit card instead, which is probably how they bought the gift card anyway.

6. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

but his point was that all your family could each give a $50 apple gift card and he could then go and get a big gift like the iphone with a bunch of "smaller gifts"..

There are still ways around... but that was his point.

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

When there's a will, there's a way.

I seem to recall that several US CC companies allow you to use cash to purchase "refillable" CCs. I'm assuming one of those would work to purchase an iPhone as they seem just like any other VISA or AmEx. But obviously, there's no real info linked to a given person's name.

8. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Yep, so go yell at the people who exploit the system for their own ends and forced Apple to act.

9. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

;)

10. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I do not agree with Apple and their policy of no cash for iPhones, but if you think about it not accepting gift cards is kind of the same concept.

If you had cash and wanted to buy an iPhone and they denied you, what would be the easiest solution? Simple, you would go and buy a gift card with that cash and then go buy an iPhone with the gift card. So basically even though you wouldn't be exchanging cash for the iPhone you would still be paying with cash. I don't agree with this, but I am guessing this is where Apple is coming from with the no gift card idea.

11. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I understand why Apple is using this policy, but I disagree with it 100%.

A giftcard is usually meant to be valid on all items in a particular store because it represents stored value. For example, if someone is part of a Secret Santa at work, they might say, "I really just want an Apple Giftcard to put towards my new iPhone." But wait, that doesn't work anymore. Now it becomes very difficult to give some a contributory gift.

I didn't like the cash-only policy, and I don't like this giftcard policy. However, at least cash can be spent elsewhere (or deposited into an account that can then be cashed via a debit card). I think that Apple ought to offer a refund policy on giftcards that were bought up until now if the customer says that their intent was to buy an iPhone. No grandfathering people in. Bad Apple:mad:

13. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

If only Apple sold things other than iPhones...like ipods or computers or software or accessories or, I dunno, tens of thousands of songs, videos, and movies!

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yeah boy, taking $400 from anyone is pretty mean... especially when you do it behind their backs.

Oh wait, Apple is already doing that to people who sign a contract! :eek:

Can you imagine the squealing if Microsoft asked carriers to stop subsidizing phones and instead give THEM the money normally earmarked for customers? Or if MS bricked WM phones that had been modified?

In other news today, Sprint has agreed to unlock their phones due to a class action lawsuit. The winds of change are upon us.

PS. Just picking at ya. No offense meant :)

15. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Heh I can take it.

I know where you stand on viewing the iPhone as unsubsidized. I just completely disagree.

I suppose people will squeal if anything upsets their precious little apple cart (no pun intended).

Apple's looking after their interests in this move. That's all it is.

16. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I think the 2 phone limit was fine, but not accepting cash or gift cards is a bit overboard. The truth is if unauthorized resellers want to buy multiple iPhones they'll buy them. They will continue to get around Apple's system.

I predict a lot of angry people with Apple gift cards this Christmas.

17. eswank macrumors 6502

Damn! Good thing I got my iPhone 16 days ago. I got it for my birthday and my friend's and loved ones all gave me gift cards that I used to buy an iPhone.

This sucks for future potential buyers of the iPhone.

18. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Of course they'll buy them. But now they'll leave a paper trail. And that's entirely the point.

I'm sure the next story will be Apple blacklisting certain customers due to repeated iPhone purchases.

Straw buyer uses credit card which gets swiped and a little note pops up for the cashier -- do not sell to this person.

Engadget hears of story and we get 5 threads on how Apple is violating the rights of people everywhere.

19. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

20. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

This relies upon the assumption that one wants those things. Like I posted above, someone might request Apple Giftcards for Christmas in small amounts because they intend to put the value towards an iPhone. If they already have an iPod and a Mac, or if they just don't want any other product Apple offers, what are they to do with the giftcards they thought would be useful?
    No. What Apple is doing is all above-board legally, but it's morally abhorrent.

21. comacnut macrumors member

That's what I was thinking. :confused:

22. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I put this in the same category as buying an iPhone, then complaining it doesn't do MMS.

Do 5 minutes of research and you'd know that acquiring a bunch of $50 gift cards for an iPhone won't work.

Ask for $50 visa or amex gift cards instead. They still take those don't they?

23. Padraig macrumors 6502a

Unless this was stated in T+Cs upon purchase of the Gift card, then Apple will
    more than likely find they've got a lawsuit on their hands.

24. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Terms & conditions
    Apple Gift Cards can be applied only to qualified purchases directly from Apple at an Apple Store, the Apple Store online, or Apple Telesales (1-800-MY-APPLE) in the United States. Apple Gift Cards may not be redeemed at the iTunes Music Store, Apple resellers, or Apple Store locations outside the United States. Apple Gift Cards are not redeemable for cash and cannot be used to purchase additional Apple Gift Cards or applied as payment to any account. Apple is not responsible for lost or stolen gift cards. To report a lost or stolen gift card, please contact Apple at any retail Apple Store location or by telephone at 1-800-MY-APPLE. Replacement cards will be issued after Apple verifies that the lost or stolen card has not been redeemed and original purchase receipt is presented. For your card's balance, call 888-320-3301. For additional gift card information and to see exclusions and limitations, visit www.apple.com/go/giftcards. Not for resale. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. The use of this gift card is governed by the laws of the State of California. Apple reserves the right to change any of these terms and conditions without notice. TM and (c) 2005 Apple Computer, Inc. All rights reserved.

----- I guess the first sentence takes care of it ...