Apple not maintaining stock for replacements? Ridiculous.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OCDMacGeek, Apr 29, 2011.

1. OCDMacGeek macrumors 6502a

OCDMacGeek

My Verizon iPad 2 64 GB is unusable. I have AppleCare and called yesterday to have it replaced. I was told that I would have the replacement by today, and I could send the broken one back. They only had to put a temporary hold on my credit card for the replacement. That sounded great!

So I called today after FedEx never delivered my replacement. It turns out that the person before was wrong about two things: (1) they don't overnight the replacement, and (2) they don't have iPad 2s in stock, even for replacements! I was told that its a two-week wait.

Now, I understand that the iPad 2 is insanely popular, and its sold out everywhere -- but they should be stocking some for replacements in case of defects! If you happen to have already blown almost a grand on the iPad 2 and its broken, you are left hanging for two weeks.

In case you're wondering what my problem is with the Verizon iPad 2, here is the issue:

Anytime its been left alone for a period of time (sometimes minutes, sometimes hours) my Verizon iPad 2 will go into a state where it won't "wake up" unless you do a hard reset. It won't respond to the power or home button. The 4.3.2 update did not resolve this problem.

If you do a hard reset (hold home and power for several seconds), it will start back up again, but it will say: "Restore Needed. iPhone cannot make or receive calls. Restore from iTunes." Yes, it calls it an iPhone for some reason. If you connect to iTunes, you will eventually get the message: "We're sorry, we are unable to continue with your activation at this time. Please try again later, or contact customer care."

If you turn the device off and on again (or do another hard reset), the device will finally start as normal.

This has happened to me dozens of times. I have tried doing a "factory restore" 2-3 times, and it doesn't fix the problem. Once again, the 4.3.2 update did not resolve this.

I had sold my laptop and planned to use the iPad as my only portable computer. I'm a lawyer and I've got trials coming up in less than two weeks. I planned to use my iPad to assist. I just find it unbelievable that Apple has sold all their stock of iPad 2s and didn't keep any for replacements.

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

The moral of this story? Never, EVER, be an early adopter of technology when your business depends on it.

3. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

And if you've spent any time lately reading these forums, then you know that a whole lot of people have returned iPads for every little spec even remotely considered a problem, so it's highly possible that this is the very reason the stock is depleted. You had a real problem, but a lot of those returning iPads, in my opinion, did not.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. You should not have sold your laptop, OP. If you are that dependent on a piece of technology, you should have a backup plan in place for instances like this.

5. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

or perhaps tested your replacement solution before selling your old system.

6. jmthigpen macrumors regular

doesn't sound like apple's fault to me, you just expect them to have unlimited supply? It is not possible for apple to have replacements for all of the morons right at a device launch - probably the biggest device launch of the year (besides the iPhone 5)

7. OCDMacGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

OCDMacGeek

I'll be fine. I can borrow a laptop. The point is, a two week turnaround time for a replacement is something you would expect from a company with worse customer service -- not Apple. Two weeks is the turnaround time for brand new orders. The time for a replacement should be less. After all, its Apple's fault for sending a defective product and they should provide some special dispensation for the replacement. For customers who have paid a sizable amount for the product and AppleCare, that isn't good service.

8. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

Apple has obviously wronged you. The only way to teach them a lesson is to return your ipad for a refund and stop buying their products.

9. OCDMacGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

OCDMacGeek

Or, I could continue to buy their stuff but still complain about bad service to let everyone know what's going on right now. (I forgot that message board comments only deal in absolute extremes.) Besides, I don't think a refund is an option.

10. Dan SAE macrumors newbie

I had my iPad replaced just yesterday. I brought it in with an issue 3 days ago and they said if I waited 48 hours for a new one to come in, they wouldn't have to put a hold on my credit card.

11. goMac macrumors 603

They do. They've run out of those as well. And there is now a backlog.

12. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

I had my white verizon replaced by the Apple store, I like you, had to wait, but only one week, and not two.

13. frogger2020 macrumors regular

They have trouble getting ipads out to people who want to give them their credit card. Apple has no incentive to keep replacements on hand for people who have broken ipads. Remember, they already have your money!

14. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Did Apple send out "a defective product" or a few defective units with a large number of OCD perfectionists who are returning product for no really tangible flaw?

15. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Bravo!

16. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Always have a plan B just in case Plan A fails. Apple is going to sell 30-40 millions of iPad this year. They are going to have shortages and unhappy users.

17. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

Yes, that demand is far outstripping supply. It's a horrible disservice to you.

18. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

So, sue 'em. Heck, see if you can get a class action goin'...

"Hi, have you been injured by Apple failing to promptly replace your broken iPad2?"

19. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I agree with your theory.

Yet it's Steve Jobs wild claims like "It's Magical & Revolutionary" that drive expectations to unreasonable highs.

When the man they view as a God, speaks, they buy into every word. They expect nothing less than total perfection.

The irony is when they report the problem here, their peers give every excuse in the book and go on the attack.

Apple = Hypocrisy

Its quite an entertaining side show.

20. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

Wow, someone is complaining that it's taking 2 weeks to get something replaced. Does anyone remember "six to eight weeks"? That's two MONTHS.

Apple has such good customer service that when they slip up a little bit, someone gets angry. Two weeks is still superb timing compared to any other company.

This thread stands as proof that nobody, especially lawyers, will ever be satisfied with something.