Apple not selling LCD monitors?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JulianBoolean, Oct 6, 2010.

1. JulianBoolean macrumors regular

I've been on the apple site for 30 minutes looking for LCD monitors. All I see are those god awful super shiny LEDs for sale. Fill me on the news flash I must have missed or shoot me a link!

Thanks!

:)

Jb

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those are still LCD. They are just LED backlight, instead of CFF. Apple also no longer makes the regular ones you are looking for.

3. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

With the introduction of the 27" LED Cinema Display (the glossy one) about a month ago, Apple discontinued the older non-glossy displays.
    You only chance now is to buy a refurb 30" from them here. (or buy one second hand)

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

do you mean anti-glare vs glossy? the new 27" ACD has no "matte" option (yet?). you can buy a used 23" or 30". i have a 23" sitting next to a glossy 20" imac and it's much easier on the eyes.

5. JulianBoolean thread starter macrumors regular

Oh man, I'm not happy. Perhaps after figuring out the what fors and how comes I'll feel differently, but my gut level reaction, is this a huge effing eff off to those of us who color sensitive work like color matching, retouching, and animation. Trust me, glare and this kind of work is a bad combination.

For once I might be agreeing with the crowd that insist s that apple consistently snubs the pro market infavor of making things elegant and pretty

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

have a look at the high end Dell, HP and NEC, Eizo displays.

7. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

I am really tired of these kind of posts. I mean you didn't even know what "LED" meant and implied that they were non-LCD displays. Yet you are criticizing Apple's choice of using glossy with such a clearly biased approach (against gloss).

I get it, you don't like glossy displays, but your comments about "color sensitive" crap has very little to do with glossy vs matte. What you are looking for is color gamut. If you are indeed working in a "color sensitive" field then you would know this. You would also realize that glare is caused by external lighting, which has an impact on the display even if it is matte. If you want to talk about color gamut, then that is perfectly valid, but debating glossy vs matte is worthless. It is a personal preference, not a debate over superior vs inferior.

What did you do back when CRT's were the norm? Did you just accept the glare or did you spend money for an antiglare shield? Or perhaps you did like most people in this field do these days, and just work in a controlled lighting evironment. Not everyone works in an evironment with super bright overhead lights, and some don't even work in a room with windows. Some even buy "hoods" that go around the top and sides of the display to block out light. In fact pretty much every real professional display comes with one even if it is a matte display, becaise external light is very bad.

There are plenty of options for people who want a professional display, if the Apple offerings don't work for you then simply take your money elsewhere. They know their market, and it is obvious that glossy is part of it.

I am very happy Apple made the choice because I personally prefer a glossy display.

8. JulianBoolean thread starter macrumors regular

1. Dude, don't EVEN go there. My second house is paid for from I know about color and my retouching talent. I've been doing hi end work for print advertising 50 hours, per week for the last 20 years. Me and my small team of retouchers bring in over 1 million dollars of work to the agency per year. A typical press run for my projects is in excess of 75,000 copies. You want to get in a wacky match with me about color? You cant afford my hourly rate. I don't have time for you.

2. I admitted speaking from a gut level reaction up front. If that's not license enough to speak freely, then I invite you to re-consider your particular grudge and sensitivity on the matter.

3. If you are determined to have the final word on this, then have it. I wont be replying to you as point number 1 indicates.

- Toodles.

9. JulianBoolean thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks man, much appreciated! I've been eye balling the Eizos for a while now. Perhaps the time is right, especially cause it ain't coming out of my pocket, and it's on the company dime.

10. bluesteel macrumors 6502

i would prefer a matte 27" cinema display myself...wish apple offered the choice. for some reason, glossy displays give me a headache after prolonged usage. i can sit in front of a matte cinema display or macbook pro for 8-10 hours straight. when i did this with the 27" cinema display i owned for a very brief time, i got a splitting headache after 2 or 3 hours of continued use :) i think i'm going to buy a couple of NEC Multisync displays.