Apple not what it used to be?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by matthew2926, Sep 25, 2014.

1. matthew2926 macrumors 6502

Does anyone else get the feeling that ever since the release of the iPhone 6s Apple has just not been the same? I mean, there is the whole bending issue with the 6 plus and then iOS 8.0.1 drops, even for only an hour, and renders 40,000 people without phones. Of course, there will people that will argue against me, but personally I think that both the iPhone 6s and iOS 8 were no where ready to be released to the public. iOS 8 in general still has major battery bugs, animation bugs, stability bugs, etc. that just give it that feeling that it is still in the beta stage. Anyone else care to weigh in?

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

Remember the early 2000s when MacWorid bought a bunch of new PowerBooks to review and most of them had issues straight out of the gate?

If you objectively research Apple and their quality, you'll see that they've made numerous mistakes over their history.

If anything, a bunch of mistakes in a row like this is exactly how they used to be.

3. lwood1 macrumors 6502

No.

4. matthew2926 thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess, but just thinking in terms of iOS 8 for a sec, Apple released iOS 8.0.2 today and the only thing that it really did was fix the cellular service and Touch ID bugs brought on by 8.0.1. Supposedly it fixed other bugs but so far, for me at least, 8.0.2 makes no difference in terms of bugs when compared to 8.0. Personally, I would expect some sort of improvement with every release, even if it's minuscule. For this reason, iOS 8.0-8.0.2 are a total disappointment to me. iOS 8.0 should've been more stable and iOS 8.0.2 should have fixed something noticeable other than the disasters of 8.0.1.

5. SolarShane macrumors 6502

Even though I switched to Android, I still pay close attention to Apple, mainly because Apple has interesting products and an interesting platform. They're just too expensive, and not "open" enough for my taste.

I'd agree. I don't know if it's a sign of things to come, or just a fluke.. But something tells me Apple has lost it's compass (Jobs) and doesn't know which direction to take. Even though Apple touts these "magical" things that come with iOS 8, they're really not what they say they are or to simply put it: they suck compared to their counterparts on Android.

- Widgets: Because they live in the notification center, widgets really aren't widgets. They're "interactive notifications", thus crippled when compared to their Android counterparts. (I've read that even Notification Center may not respect a widget's height setting. WTF!)

- Third Party keyboards: Most of the third party keyboards I've read about are simply crippled compared to their Android counterparts. You can't use dictation, and they're limited in size. The crippling part comes of how they're distributed. I mean, seriously? They need to be distributed inside an application?

- Extensions: Simply put..... Extensions are weak. You really can't do any thing "live". Take LastPass, for example.. (iOS 8 | Android) Meaning, no extensions like Adblock, etc.

iOS 8 and even the bigger iPhones are starting to get that "meh" feeling. I know I'll get called a troll, Apple basher, etc, but I agree that Apple isn't what it used to be. I hope overtime, Apple will learn and adapt itself. Otherwise, they're going to be going down the road of RIM.

6. Jspiegs macrumors member

Jspiegs

I do notice something different with Apple with the iPhone 6, but not the same thing. I noticed it with the iPad Mini as well. Since Steve Jobs passing Apple has looked at what competitors are doing and what consumers want more. Steve Jobs was a genius, don't get me wrong, but I think his one fault was that he kind of had a 'my way or the highway' attitude. His ideas reigned. I believe he said before the release of the 5 that the iPhone screen will never get bigger and that consumers don't want a big screen, even though ever other phone developer was starting to make bigger screens and consumers loved it. He also said nobody wants a 7-inch tablet. The iPad Mini is a huge success and personally I switched from a full-sized iPad to an iPad Mini and I much prefer it.

You've got to take a look at the whole picture as well as have great ideas of your own.

As for quality, Apple has had issues with many iPhones upon release. Remember the 'attenagate'? Some things I think just cannot be found out until a lot of people are using the product. As for 8.0.1, yes that was a huge flub.

7. Breezygirl macrumors 6502

Breezygirl

I think they are still the same, with every new phone or product there's been some kind of issue. Antenna, bending.....

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yup, just as all kinds of issues exist with all kinds of products all the time.

9. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

No.

IOS 8.0.0 is working fine for me on the 5S, but, there was the 8.0.1 mess. I think that Apple has a bit different pattern to this, compared to most companies, because they are so secretive and so in the public eye. But, all companies have bugs, all companies add features at the last minute that don't get properly tested and debugged.

Apple has been obsessed about being too thin and too rich for quite a while. The iPhone 6+ is so thin it is anorexic by my standard, but, someone else may be very happy with it.

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I agree. It happened before the iPhone 6. :)

11. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Well alot of it is also developers updating their apps we speak to work well and better with Extensions, etc, iOS 8 compatbility updates, taking use of the new API's

I think iOS 8 is actually dam stable on my 6

12. gswilder macrumors regular

Steve's Gone

I think we are seeing the effects of the loss of Jobs. The best current example is the iPhone 6 camera protruding on the back. I don't believe Steve would have ever let that happen.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Clearly he wouldn't. Because we all know exactly what he would or wouldn't do. And because nothing ever went wrong when he was at Apple or in his life in general at all. :rolleyes:

14. cardfan macrumors 65816

Jobs was good at selling. He would explain these new products better.

Apple is doing what it must. It was apparent to them a few years ago with the 4 series that they had to go bigger. But it took this long to get iOS ready.

iOS works well and results in great apps. But the reasons why also were responsible in preventing Apple from being able to leap to bigger screens more timely.

Imagine what apps would look like if the 6 plus was released a year after the 4S. Apps at that time were 3:2 low res and designed for a 3.5" screen.

The iPhone 5 was necessary. First Apple had to change to 16:9. This way apps don't look too bad and they can increase from there later.

Apple now has two resolutions that gives them flexibility for phones. The iPhone 6's res means they can't increase that size anymore. Anything bigger will need what the Plus has.

Other os's don't have this problem. Android scales. But their apps look like garbage because of it.

This is basically a transition period. It started with the iPhone 5. These two new resolutions were always the end game though.

Over time apps and iOS will get better as everyone focuses on these 2 resolutions and screen sizes.

15. Nozuka macrumors 68000

i actually think apple finally started to go in the right direction again. they seem to bring alot more things their users asked for.

but the quality checking definitly needs to be improved again.

16. cynics macrumors G4

Apple is being "more Apple" then they've been in years.

17. threelions macrumors regular

They have certainly lost their aura of invincibility that they had over other companies. But the cracks started to show in IOS7, giving Ive so much power was a big mistake.

18. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Oh please.....

19. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

While I'm not bothered by the protruding camera I completely agree that Steve Jobs would never have allowed this. He would have preferred a thicker device than protruding camera. Me? I prefer the iPhone 6 exactly the way it is. Finally a phone that's not too chunky with a case!

20. cynics macrumors G4

No, Steve would have used a thinner crappier camera. Form over function.

21. aristobrat macrumors G5

Less than a year after Steve Jobs passed, the next iPod Touch came out with the same type of protruding camera.

Plenty of news articles said that Steve had given his input on updates in the pipeline that wouldn't be out for years, so it's hard for me to imagine that he was unaware of a protruding camera on the next iPod Touch model.

...and yet it came out.

Like others said, if anyone at Apple had a fetish for thin devices, it was Steve Jobs. I don't think he'd have a problem with the iPhone 6's camera at all.

22. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Great point

23. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

These threads are getting old. Do your research - missteps happen with every new iOS and OS X releases. This is why you can find updated versions of these software about 2 weeks to a month out after every releases.

A few units that bend out of 14 million units is hardly an issue. Some people need common sense, and that's just the way it is.

I do agree iOS 8 is buggy, but even though it looks similar to iOS 7, the whole thing was re-done from the ground up, and it was done to support a lot of unknown 3rd party applications/devices. Give it some time... (more than 2 weeks!) Things will get sorted out.

24. mantan macrumors 68000

Apple has always had their miscues. Their biggest edge was the whole Tao of Jobs aura. There was a belief that Jobs had a vision and strategy that would overcome just about any obstacle and create truly innovative ground breaking products that were simple to use and better quality than anything there.

I think Cook is burning some of the brand/perception capital that Apple has built. Sure, they still make a lot of money and sell a ton of devices. But Apple feels more like a follower than a leader right now. They seem to have a PR stumble or issue every month.

Following Jobs was a no win scenario. And no one would blame Cook if he wasn't the genius innovator that Jobs was that led Apple into uncharted/new products. But he could have made his mark at running a very tight ship that focuses on quality, execution and 'easy to use' products.

25. betman macrumors regular

IMO Apple would do well to team up with (or possibly take over/buy) a major electronics manufacturer not only to raise their game on the hardware side but also to move into other products while they're at it.

With Sony constantly struggling to post decent numbers their share price shouldn't be prohibitively high nowadays.

Then again if Samsung and Amazon were ever to merge I think they would be very tough to beat...