Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by customers on Reddit and Twitter, and on the blog iPhone in Canada, Apple has begun charging sales tax on the purchases of TV shows, movies, music, and audiobooks in iTunes and Apple Music subscriptions in Canada.

itunes-affiliates.jpg

The change went into effect January 1, 2019, with GST, HST, PST, and/or QST collected depending on the province or territory.

In a statement issued to MacRumors, Apple said the tax collection is due to "recent changes in Canadian legislation" and the growth of Apple's business around the world, including Canada, where it has operated for nearly four decades:
As the world's largest taxpayer, we respect the important role taxes play in society. Due to recent changes in Canadian legislation and the growth of our business, sales tax will now be charged on purchases of TV, movies, music and audiobooks. Apple has been operating in Canada for 38 years and we are proud to deliver the best products and services in the world to our customers here.
Apple was already charging sales tax on the purchase of apps and select other digital items in Canada prior to January 1.

Article Link: Apple Now Charging Sales Tax on All iTunes Purchases and Apple Music Subscriptions in Canada

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Was hoping for News or Pay Cash to launch in Canada this year, but I guess we’ll have to settle with getting HST on digital purchases instead.

Reactions: ipedro and V.K.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
It would suck for me in state of Florida. In USA. No tax on iTunes. But if I order from amazon digital streaming or YouTube tv or directv now streaming services. I get nailed with close to 13% digital sales taxes. But not on iTunes.

plantemichel

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
It’s always like that in my country there’s always someone complaining when we don’t pay taxes.:mad: The province of Quebec is one of the most taxes places in the world. :( I’m proud to be Canadian but it’s a expensive place to live.:(

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
It’s always like that in my country there’s always someone complaining when we don’t pay taxes.:mad: The province of Quebec is one of the most taxes places in the world. :( I’m proud to be Canadian but it’s a expensive place to live.:(
Not even close, pretty high in Canada? Sure, there's still some provinces that are worse but Quebec is in the top, but in the world? Nope

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
But the quality of life is amazing!

LOL. No it isn’t. Many major cities have already turned into garbage and the rest of the country is following the same trend.

Toronto, in particular, is an absolute dump of a city. Horrible place to live with horrible weather, horrible people, no culture, no sense of community, skyrocketing violent crime, and on and on. Feels like living in a giant, cold, airport.

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
huh? this story is a few years old I think. GST is located on all my purchases from apple or iTunes.Has been ever since I can remember.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
In Germany the tax is 19%. And it has been included in the price of the apps since 2015.

Spoon!

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2018
LOL. No it isn’t. Many major cities have already turned into garbage and the rest of the country is following the same trend.

Toronto, in particular, is an absolute dump of a city. Horrible place to live with horrible weather, horrible people, no culture, no sense of community, skyrocketing violent crime, and on and on. Feels like living in a giant, cold, airport.
I did not find Toronto very appealing while I was there ... and the traffic and drivers are worse than Los Angeles.

BuddyRich

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Im wondering why they are applying it to all of Canada. The law changed on January 1st for Quebec residents only. Other provinces and the federal government do not require tax be levied on digital goods.

They have the ability to bill by province as each province (like states) have different rates.

Alberta has no PST so is GST only charged there?

Reactions: shamino

omihek

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
Taxes are fine, but when I go into an Apple Store and purchase a 12-month Apple Music gift card, then go home and try to redeem that gift card but I'm unable to because I don't have enough iTunes credit to pay the taxes, that's when I get mad. Don't call it a 12-month Apple Music gift card if I can't get 12 months of Apple Music with it.

adamski23

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2017

Not everyone lives in a bustling metropolitan area ;).

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008

Do you live there?

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
12%. How does that compare with the normal sales tax/VAT rate for other goods and services?
It’s been a while but you were never given an answer. So I’m committing a bit of thread necromancy.

The baseline VAT varies across Canada. There’s always a 5% federal portion, plus an additional provincial portion that depends on the province.

After adding in the provincial portion, it will add up to a minimum of 5% (in Alberta which doesn’t currently charge a provincial portion thanks to energy sector royalties) to a maximum of 15% (in the Atlantic Provinces).

Some products may be exempt from the provincial portion and so it would only be charged the 5% federal portion (such, in many provinces, as children’s clothing).

And still other items may be totally exempt from VAT (such as, in many provinces, fresh and canned groceries, prescription medications, among others).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.