Apple Now Charging Sales Tax on All iTunes Purchases and Apple Music Subscriptions in Canada

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 7, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As noted by customers on Reddit and Twitter, and on the blog iPhone in Canada, Apple has begun charging sales tax on the purchases of TV shows, movies, music, and audiobooks in iTunes and Apple Music subscriptions in Canada.

[​IMG]

The change went into effect January 1, 2019, with GST, HST, PST, and/or QST collected depending on the province or territory.

In a statement issued to MacRumors, Apple said the tax collection is due to "recent changes in Canadian legislation" and the growth of Apple's business around the world, including Canada, where it has operated for nearly four decades:
    Apple was already charging sales tax on the purchase of apps and select other digital items in Canada prior to January 1.

Article Link: Apple Now Charging Sales Tax on All iTunes Purchases and Apple Music Subscriptions in Canada

2. profets macrumors 601

Was hoping for News or Pay Cash to launch in Canada this year, but I guess we’ll have to settle with getting HST on digital purchases instead.

3. now i see it macrumors 68030

4. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Confirmed. Just paid 60¢ tax on a $4.99 movie rental.

5. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

60 cents on $5? Ouch. That's a pretty steep sales tax.

6. aneftp macrumors 601

It would suck for me in state of Florida. In USA. No tax on iTunes. But if I order from amazon digital streaming or YouTube tv or directv now streaming services. I get nailed with close to 13% digital sales taxes. But not on iTunes.

7. plantemichel macrumors newbie

plantemichel

It’s always like that in my country there’s always someone complaining when we don’t pay taxes.:mad: The province of Quebec is one of the most taxes places in the world. :( I’m proud to be Canadian but it’s a expensive place to live.:(

8. dotnet macrumors 65816

dotnet

Bastards. Steve Jobs would have never allowed Canada to pass laws like that...

9. Rudy69 macrumors 6502a

Rudy69

Not even close, pretty high in Canada? Sure, there's still some provinces that are worse but Quebec is in the top, but in the world? Nope

10. Dustonfoster macrumors member

Dustonfoster

How about some Apple Pay Cash? Apple? Hello? Canada is just as important as other Countries!!

11. adamski23 macrumors regular

But the quality of life is amazing!

12. sirozha macrumors 6502a

15% (HST: federal + provincial).

Welcome to Canada. This partly pays for the universal healthcare.

13. user_xyz macrumors member

user_xyz

Bastards charged me $19.00 extra for Logic X in USA!!

14. EightyTwenty macrumors 6502a

LOL. No it isn’t. Many major cities have already turned into garbage and the rest of the country is following the same trend.

Toronto, in particular, is an absolute dump of a city. Horrible place to live with horrible weather, horrible people, no culture, no sense of community, skyrocketing violent crime, and on and on. Feels like living in a giant, cold, airport.

15. iLilana macrumors 6502a

iLilana

huh? this story is a few years old I think. GST is located on all my purchases from apple or iTunes.Has been ever since I can remember.

16. verpeiler macrumors 6502a

verpeiler

17. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

In Germany the tax is 19%. And it has been included in the price of the apps since 2015.

18. truthertech macrumors 68000

Apple is the largest taxpayer in the United States AND in the WORLD

19. Spoon! macrumors 6502

Spoon!

I did not find Toronto very appealing while I was there ... and the traffic and drivers are worse than Los Angeles.

20. BuddyRich macrumors member

BuddyRich

Im wondering why they are applying it to all of Canada. The law changed on January 1st for Quebec residents only. Other provinces and the federal government do not require tax be levied on digital goods.

They have the ability to bill by province as each province (like states) have different rates.

Alberta has no PST so is GST only charged there?

21. omihek macrumors 6502

omihek

Taxes are fine, but when I go into an Apple Store and purchase a 12-month Apple Music gift card, then go home and try to redeem that gift card but I'm unable to because I don't have enough iTunes credit to pay the taxes, that's when I get mad. Don't call it a 12-month Apple Music gift card if I can't get 12 months of Apple Music with it.

22. shamino macrumors 68040

shamino

12%. How does that compare with the normal sales tax/VAT rate for other goods and services?

23. adamski23 macrumors regular

Not everyone lives in a bustling metropolitan area ;).

24. sirozha macrumors 6502a

Do you live there?