Apple now offering JUST SSD in 27" iMac!!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TheBritishBloke, Aug 4, 2010.

1. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

If you go on the configuration page. You can choose to just have the 256Gb SSD. does this mean you could buy this, then add your own hard drive separately?

Anyone planning to order this?

2. Daark macrumors member

Ordered mine yesterday, gutted. Really wasn't interested in the additional drive as I'm gonna put a 600Gb velociraptor in it anyways.
    Tempted to cancel and re-order, but the mess around in waiting for refunds etc is really putting me off....

3. Spurk macrumors newbie

Yeah same for me, even though mine hasen`t been shipped yet i reckon it`s gonna be a pain to cancel, reorder without spending too many weeks of waiting.
    So i guess i will SSD in another life

4. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

The SSD-only option has been there since last weeks refresh.

My self I'll probably try to add my SSD next to the 1TB disk.

5. godrifle macrumors regular

godrifle

6. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

That's a solid tip for US residents.. for anyone else it will be really expensive to ship it to the US and back.

7. Daark macrumors member

Actually just thinking about this. How long to they 'ear mark' funds for before deducting on despatch?
    Might do another order and then cancel the original if its only a matter of 24-48hours, if they take the funds straight away then its obviously a no goer :(

8. moneyman118 macrumors 6502

Funds are deducted when the item is "shipped"

9. Daark macrumors member

I know, but they do the initial authorisation which 'reserves' the funds for a period in time. If I can ascertain that I should be able to raise another order and cancel this one without going through any refund hassles

10. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Can you imagine having any of this done and then you finally get the computer for the 1st time and find out it has an issue like a fan whine, yellow screen, etc?

What a freaking nightmare that would be.

11. godrifle macrumors regular

godrifle

Excellent point. I've been thinking about that too. I've been thinking about ordering a new 27", taking delivery of it, checking it out thoroughly, and then shipping it to OWC ($30) for the upgrades. I'm just in love with the idea of an external RAID array for big Logic Pro sessions...

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can check that everything is okay before shipping it to OWC.

13. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I was responding to the option of having it direct drop shipped to them from Apple when you order, then they monkey with it and ship it to you.

14. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I think it would be much easier to self-install a standard 3.5" HD than the 2.5" SSD according to OWC's tear-down. Machines without a factory SSD don't have the mounting bracket or cable. Not sure if OWC or someone else sells the necessary parts individually.