Apple Now Offering One-Week HBO NOW Trial Following April Promotion

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is now offering a shorter one-week free trial for new customers that sign up for HBO NOW using an iPhone, iPad or Apple TV, shortly after the April 30 deadline of a previous promotion that offered customers the first month of the streaming TV service for free. A paid subscription begins at the end of the one-week trial until canceled.

HBO NOW operates similar to Netflix, allowing customers in the United States to stream all of HBO's original series and entire movie catalog on iPhone, iPad, Mac and Apple TV for $14.99 per month. HBO NOW's official iPhone and iPad app is free on the App Store alongside the Apple TV channel. Popular HBO series include Game of Thrones, Silicon Valley, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, Girls, and Entourage. The one-week introductory free trial is available for a limited time.

Article Link: Apple Now Offering One-Week HBO NOW Trial Following April Promotion

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
i wont renew mine, there is nothing i havent already seen on there and GoT i can get with SKY
That is what I fear will happen to a lot of streaming services like this. The ROI just won't be there due to limited content. I'd rather pay Netflix $15/month for premium programming, assuming it reliably stays there.

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
My guess is the free month was on offer only for the initial rollout and one week will henceforth be the standard length of time for a free trial.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The price definitely gets my interest, but it needs more content for me to bite. Throw South Park and Big Bang Theory in and I'll spring for the Apple TV + HBO NOW. (I realize this is something of a pipe dream, given South Park and Big Bang Theory are each owned by other, not HBO related networks. But still, get those content providers on without raising the price too much, and I'm all over it.)

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
i'still astounded they don't offer any new/additional content over GO... are there numbers out for subscription rates amongst those who borrow a password from friends yet? i thought the whole point of making NOW was to encourage more subscriptions from those HBO has already acknowledged as 'moochers' who often spike traffic to the point that live streams get choppy or unwatchable. their attitude is 'its your own fault for sharing you PW', but this whole new model doesn't address this phenomenon at all.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It's been working great for me--except for all the spoiler images!

So after signing up on my iPad, I signed in on the web site from my Mac--with images disabled thanks to Safari's Developer menu.

Problem solved! No spoilers. The site is almost entirely easy to navigate by the text labels.

There is a point at which you must-reenable images to start the video once you've found it, but at least you've skipped the rest of the images.

I'm happy—huge back catalog I want to watch. And I have zero other monthly media bills.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
i'still astounded they don't offer any new/additional content over GO... are there numbers out for subscription rates amongst those who borrow a password from friends yet? i thought the whole point of making NOW was to encourage more subscriptions from those HBO has already acknowledged as 'moochers' who often spike traffic to the point that live streams get choppy or unwatchable. their attitude is 'its your own fault for sharing you PW', but this whole new model doesn't address this phenomenon at all.
I believe the main point was to provide an option for people who don't have HBO (and perhaps in particular cable/satellite TV at all) to have the same option to watch HBO on demand content as those who have it (via HBO GO).

----------

It's been working great for me--except for all the spoiler images!

So after signing up on my iPad, I signed in on the web site from my Mac--with images disabled thanks to Safari's Developer menu.

Problem solved! No spoilers. The site is almost entirely easy to navigate by the text labels.

There is a point at which you must-reenable images to start the video once you've found it, but at least you've skipped the rest of the images.

I'm happy—huge back catalog I want to watch. And I have zero other monthly media bills.
Out of curiosity, what kind of spoiler images?

whyamihere

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
'nati
Dangit!

Well crud. I kept putting off starting the free 30 day trial and now it's too late. Someone please remind me to make a reminder to remind me to sign up for things like this. :eek:

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
I believe the main point was to provide an option for people who don't have HBO (and perhaps in particular cable/satellite TV at all) to have the same option to watch HBO on demand content as those who have it (via HBO GO).
absolutely, i kinda worded my comment poorly in focusing on a lesser point than what you described, no doubt. but it's still a business tactic they could use to drum up TONS of customers willing to actually pay rather than rely on their borrowed account. i literally know 2 people who pay for HBO and have a legit GO account, yet i know dozens of people who use HBO GO. "somehow"...

the selection got boring after a month of use for me, and the day or more wait to air new episodes (after the internet gets ahold of them and posts them for free) doesn't incentivize 'pirate-y' account-sharing customers. a large portion of the younger generation. maybe they'll add better content eventually, but as it stands, you can only watch so many "B" action/comedy movies from the 80s and 90s if you've already seen most of the shows you want to watch.

Pman17

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Galveston, TX
I think its just to prevent people from waiting till the end of the Game of Thrones season to binge watch all the episodes in one free trial and then cancel their subscription.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
One month was enough to see that I don't want it. It's almost twice the price I pay for Netflix and has infinitely less stuff I want to watch. The other issue being I hate my AppleTV. It's slow and crappy compared to the other devices I own (PS4, FireTV). If I ever get another month of HBO Now, it won't be until there's a new AppleTV or there's apps for FireTV and/or PS4.

Last edited:

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
$14.99 for one channel, albeit a channel with a lot of back catalog, isn't going to last long, especially when Apple and others let us pay for channels we want, in the future. Nobody is going to pay that much for a single channel. I can see regular channels, if packaged in a bundle (wish they'd drop the bundle), going for a buck, and premium channels going for $5. Not 3x that.

If I have to pay Apple $40-$50 for "some" channels, I'd just pay Comcast that for many more. Maybe this will fuel a race to the bottom.

Anyway, I don't even want channels, just give me content. But some of what I watch isn't available as iTunes season passes, so you have to have a channel.

Most of it's also available for free, and this should server as a notice to these companies asking us to pay for what we don't want/need. People can seek it out without much hassle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.