Apple now owns the GPU

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mazdamiata210, Sep 16, 2017.

1. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

Does anyone else think that since Apple now is making their own GPU, instead of using a 3rd party one, it will be more tightly integrated with their code which will allow much better performance? Maybe finally removing the lag and stutters and giving us a consistent 60 FPS again.

2. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Probably not, they could have easily optimized for the previous GPU's they used as they know exactly what GPU is in their products, compared to Android which could have multiple different chip architectures.

The only real difference is they are designing the chip.

3. mazdamiata210 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly, just like their CPU which blows away the competition. Which leads me to believe a huge performance bump compared to a 3rd party GPU also.

4. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

But the device is not faster or slicker - actually id say its slower now than iOS7 running on the 5S..
    The CPU might be running at high speed, but it needs to, to keep up with the bloat and sucking from the apps.

They need to optimise iOS and not chase pointless headlines.
    I dont care about the numbers, the experience is what counts and thats what apple should double down on.

5. TheRealAlex macrumors 68000

#1. I am happy Apple Owns the CPU and GPU now.
    #2. Apples First Gen their GPU ever is gonna have issues.
    #3. The iPhone Xs Plus Next Year will have a much better GPU.

In essence you wouldn't buy a car from a company who wasn't producing their first car ever. I won't buy a phone with a First Gen Apple GPU. Also the CPU is fast but wake me up if the new GPU can match the 12 Core GPU in the iPad Pro.

6. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

The reason their CPU scores so high compared to other chipsets isn't the software, it's the actual chip architecture is a better design. Where's other companies slightly modify an Arm core that is supposed to be used in many different applications, Apple designs the CPU specifically for mobile applications. The thing is, the PowerVR was already design specifically for mobile applications.

Look at it this way, Apple has quoted a 30% GPU performance bump compared to what's in the a10. That's one of the smaller GPU bumps from one generation to the next in recent iPhone updates.

All I'm saying, is you don't have to design the chip to optimize your software for it.

7. mazdamiata210 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Which is why I'm happy with my 6S+

8. Nozuka macrumors 68020

their first CPU didn't have any issues.. should be fine.