Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Devialet-Phantom.jpg
French audio company Devialet has reached a partnership with Apple that will see its high-end Phantom speaker sold at the top fourteen Apple Stores in the U.S. starting today, reports TechCrunch.

The 750-watt Phantom will sell for $1,990, while the 3000-watt Phantom Silver will cost $2,390, the same prices as purchasing either speaker directly from Devialet.
The Phantom and Phantom Silver, along with the $149 remote and the $329 Dialog bridge for connecting multiple phantoms, will initially be available at five NYC Apple Stores, two in Los Angeles, and one each in San Francisco, Palo Alto, Portland, Chicago, Dallas, Miami and Washington, D.C. They’ll cost the same as buying straight from Devialet.
Devialet's Phantom is a high fidelity wireless speaker that emits "implosive sound" based on patented technologies called Analog Digital Hybrid (ADH), Heart Bass Implosion (HBI) and Active Cospherical Engine Loudspeaker (ACE).

The single speaker system, capable of producing "20X the power of speakers the same size," has received positive reviews from Bloomberg, TechCrunch, Wired and dozens of other media publications since launching in 2014.
By expanding and contracting its walls, it produces 1.2 tons of pressure to produce 20X the power of speakers the same size. The device required 10 years of development and $25 million in R&D. Devialet has scored over 77 patents and 37 awards for sound and design since it released its first amplifiers in 2010.
Devialet product manager Romain Salzman told TechCrunch that the company's "dream was to find an important partnership to deploy Phantom quickly all around the world."
Luckily, Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff was a big fan and hooked them up with a meeting with Angela Ahrendts, Apple’s senior vice president of retail and online stores. During their meeting at 1 Infinite Loop, Salzman tells me Ahrendts exclaimed "I love it, I want it, and we’re going to bring you all over the world."
Phantom display models will be paired with iPhones at select Apple Stores in the U.S., accompanied by a special Devialet app for testing high fidelity music.

Article Link: Apple Now Selling Devialet's $2,000 Phantom Speaker in Select Stores

Last edited:

uk1ee

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2015

Devialet-Phantom.jpg
French audio company Devialet has reached a partnership with Apple that will see its high-end Phantom speaker sold at the top fourteen Apple Stores in the U.S. starting today, reports TechCrunch.

The 750-watt Phantom will sell for $1,990, while the 3000-watt Phantom Silver will cost $2,390, the same prices as purchasing either speaker directly from Devialet.Devialet's Phantom is a high fidelity wireless speaker that emits "implosive sound" based on patented technologies called Analog Digital Hybrid (ADH), Heart Bass Implosion (HBI) and Active Cospherical Engine Loudspeaker (ACE).

The single speaker system, capable of producing "20X the power of speakers the same size," has received positive reviews from Bloomberg, TechCrunch, Wired and dozens of other media publications since launching in 2014.Devialet product manager Romain Salzman told TechCrunch that the company's "dream was to find an important partnership to deploy Phantom quickly all around the world."Phantom display models will be paired with iPhones at select Apple Stores in the U.S., accompanied by a special Devialet app for testing high fidelity music.

Article Link: Apple Now Selling Devialet's $2,000 Phantom Speaker in Select Stores

glad the reports are it sounds good because it looks very ugly certainly would not wan that on display

Last edited by a moderator:
Comment

H2SO4

macrumors 601
Nov 4, 2008
glad the reports are it sounds good because it looks very ugly certainly would not wan that on display
I like the look. What I don’t like is the marketing;

3000W output, really? Give me the figures in RMS please - I know you get peaks that go well above it but to just post that headline figure is disingenuous. I could find no real info on the website. How quickly does the bass roll off and from what point?

from sub bass at 16hz to ultra sharp sound at 25kHz, Yes but I’m assuming that response isn’t even close to flat.

Comment

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
Although they are quite closely spaced there are two drivers so technically stereo;
View attachment 604390

That is not how it work. A floor-standing speaker would normally feature 2-8 drivers but a single speaker is still only outputting mono. Heck even higher end ear-plugs / IEM's feature 4-6 drivers these days but using a single of the pieces is still only outputting mono.

Comment

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Bose has worked for decades to get a big sound out of small speakers. But in all cases, decent bass frequencies required a subwoofer. There has to be a large enough cavity to produce the necessary air movement. This company has supposedly developed a flexible cavity. For that price, it should sound great. But I'd have to hear the actual device.

Reactions: SeattleMoose
Comment

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
White paper suspiciously lacks many useful details an audiophile buying an outrageously expensive speaker would care about. No crossover frequency, no RMS amp power, no response curve, etc.

What does 3000 watts even mean? Space heating effect?

Comment

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I like the look. What I don’t like is the marketing;

3000W output, really? Give me the figures in RMS please - I know you get peaks that go well above it but to just post that headline figure is disingenuous. I could find no real info on the website. How quickly does the bass roll off and from what point?

from sub bass at 16hz to ultra sharp sound at 25kHz, Yes but I’m assuming that response isn’t even close to flat.
Look to the end of the white paper for all the answers -- looks pretty amazing if true.

http://en.devialet.com/assets/V3/pdf/White-Paper-Phantom-en.pdf

Comment

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Glad they're selling them in Dallas. I'd love to hear it. Would be a great unit to test post-production material, even though mass market production is only as strong as the end-users weakest component.

Comment

hydr

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2009
I picked up two silver + the dialog. Love it, totally worth it. Plan to pick 3 more later (1 for bedrom, bathrom and kitchen).

Here is my mini review in a few sentences:
Great sound quality, superb hardware, easy to setup. Small footprint. Easy to transport to cabin or parties.
Software wise they have a lot work ahead. No apple watch app, no apple tv app, coverart looks super compressed in small resolution vs. actual coverart embedded in flac files. No support for iTunes Playlists in folders. No way to create playlists in Spark yet. Dialog does not support attaching USB drive with music, you need to connect it to Mac Mini. But overall an unbeatable sound for the price by a mile and a half. They will take over the hifi work with this system, I am sure of it.

Comment

felt.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Canada
Would love to see a proper review of these complete with frequency response graphs. The marketing sounds good, but how does it perform in an unbiased scientific test?
kef-q100-woofer-FR-HD-96dB.png

Comment

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
I'm more excited about AudioPixels upcoming MEMS speaker module. Speakers smaller than a coin that can give solid sound coming from an iPhone. Scales up to large speakers too.

AudioPixels also lets you have a cocoon of sound around you that only you can hear. Pretty cool tech. I guess if it's any good Apple will use it in their future products - the iPad Pro shows that they are focussing on sound quality.

Comment

iTosaf

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2015
As far as i know, ALL the frequency response graphs the other brands have are one big BS.
Every company measures their speakers in a different way. You can not compare Apples to Apples. It's a fact.

I have Beoplay A9 (another beautiful and overpriced speaker). To tell you is it sounds great and looks great - YES. Does it sound better than my M-Audio BX-8 D2 studio speakers that cost me $375 - NO. But,the studio speakers have a "Sweet spot" and if you are not at that specific spot, they sound off and Beoplay sounds great from everywhere and it is wireless (easy to operate from my iphone).

The phantom speakers sound Great and Loud, but they can not compete with similarly priced regular speakers at lower volume Sound Detail reproduction.
I can not buy the Phantom Silver speaker because to enjoy them, you need to play music at 50% volume minimum and my current 450 watt speaker already too loud for me (and my neighbors).
To answer the other people questions: this speaker IS a Mono speaker. In order to have a stereo setup, you need to buy 2 of them and the "Bridge".

The thing that most of the people don't realize is that in order to enjoy ANY good speaker (in this caliber), you need to invest few thousand dollars to improve your listening room Acoustics. Without great room acoustics, ANY great speaker will sound BAD or Average.

The bottom line: If you like how it Sounds and CAN afford it, buy it. In the end of the day, graphs are for nurds. Buyers buy Speakers by their sound and look.

Last edited:
Comment

faffing

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Have had one for the last few months. The sound really is amazing, particularly at high volumes and with high fidelity files. I have never heard a system that keeps distortion this low without spending exponentially more.

The software however leaves a lot to be desired. Even after you get the 400$ add on it only natively works with Tidal in the US.

There is a significant need for Spotify or Apple Music integrations.

As of now I have it hooked up via optical to an old apple tv but this is a ridiculous work around for such an expensive device.

Comment

MICHAELSD

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Have had one for the last few months. The sound really is amazing, particularly at high volumes and with high fidelity files. I have never heard a system that keeps distortion this low without spending exponentially more.

The software however leaves a lot to be desired. Even after you get the 400$ add on it only natively works with Tidal in the US.

There is a significant need for Spotify or Apple Music integrations.

As of now I have it hooked up via optical to an old apple tv but this is a ridiculous work around for such an expensive device.

Not to be a pretentious audiophile, but with a speaker like this Tidal hi-fi should be the main service considered by owners.

Comment

iTosaf

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2015
Thanks, but the photo I linked is from http://medleysmusings.com/ which is an INDEPENDENT reviewer. That means they don't represent the corporate interests mmmkay?
I didn't say that you made up the graph.
All i'm saying is that you can not compare the graph of different speaker companies side by side because they all use different ways to measure their speakers.
Btw, the site you referenced, measures the naked speakers. But, the problem is that if you buy the best car speakers (for example) and install them in your car, even using the best amplifier, they won't sound great because of your cars Acoustics. It will rattle and distort the sound.

Choosing speakers is not all about Graphs. What about the "Box" the speakers are in? what about the materials its made of, the internal "Box" structure, crossover, amplifier?

When you count all those parts, out of a sudden, Phantom doesn't look that expensive and Bad of a deal.
Still you have to consider the Listening Room structure, Materials and speaker position.

I won't even start talking about YOUR AGE.. Because the fact is, that people from different ages, hear different frequencies and perceive the Sound differently. The speaker with great High frequencies my sound too sharp to different person and so..

Thats why i'm saying that Speakers are like taste of food: whatever works for you (even if on a chart it should be great), doesn't always shows in reality.

Hope that helped.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.