Apple Now Selling Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi System But Will Continue Offering AirPort Line

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently began selling the Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi System both online and in its retail stores, marking the first router the company has offered aside from its own rather outdated AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express, and AirPort Time Capsule.

Apple has not updated the AirPort Time Capsule or the AirPort Extreme since June of 2013, and it's been even longer since the AirPort Express was last updated -- 2012. A late 2016 rumor even suggested Apple had stopped development on its line of AirPort base stations entirely, disbanding its AirPort team and moving engineers to other projects.

Two Node Linksys Velop System​

Though Apple has not updated the AirPort line in years and is now selling a third-party WiFi system, the company appears to be planning to continue to offer AirPort options for the foreseeable future. In a statement provided to 9to5Mac, an Apple spokesperson said the Linksys Velop is an option being provided to people with larger homes alongside the AirPort.
    While Apple is continuing to offer its AirPort base stations for now, the devices won't last forever sans update. Given Apple's move to sell a third-party Wi-Fi product, it's looking like the company does not have plans to update the lineup going forward.

The AirPort base stations provide several unique benefits that are not available with third-party options like built-in Time Machine backup support in the Time Capsule and AirPlay functionality for the AirPort Express. It's possible Apple has plans to incorporate these features and Wi-Fi networking functionality into a future product, but if so, there are no rumors suggesting that's the case at this point.

Apple's AirPort lineup​

The Linksys Velop that Apple is offering is designed to create a tri-band high-range mesh network able to provide a strong Wi-Fi signal throughout the home, putting an end to areas where Wi-Fi signal is weak. The Velop consists of multiple Nodes used to create an extended Wi-Fi network. Each of the Nodes is able to increase Wi-Fi range by up to 2,000 square feet, and because it increases range wirelessly, there are no wires to deal with.

Apple sells the Velop in two configurations, with either two or three nodes, for $349 or $499.

Article Link: Apple Now Selling Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi System But Will Continue Offering AirPort Line
  2. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2003
    that town east of ann arbor
    Linksys products are what drove me to Airport. When I upgrade my Time Capsule, I'll likely go the Eero or Google Mesh route.
  3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Jul 16, 2002
    O.M.G. just put the poor AirPort line out of its misery and stop pushing it off on unsuspecting customers. Honestly, Apple still selling Airport -- at a not discounted price point either -- is the opposite of good customer services. It's in the realm of snake oil used car store polishing up a turd car. Also Velop isn't the answer but it's owned by Apple's new crap accessory pal Belkin.
  4. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

Jul 10, 2008
    What's the issue with the current AirPort Extreme? Offers the current speeds. Works better than most sub-$100 routers too.
  5. c3po7 macrumors regular

Jun 10, 2017
    Thats strange because I got a security update for my Airport Time Capsule late last year.
  6. sprihoda macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2018
    I guess I need to order another time capsule before they discontinue it...
  7. fatespawn macrumors member

Feb 22, 2009
    Just bought the Netgear Orbi system. So much better than extending an airport network ever was!
  8. jamiemcd macrumors newbie

Oct 13, 2010
    I had a fifth generation AirPort Extreme that I replaced with an Eero three pack. I live in a typical two story house in a subdivision. The Eero had problems where certain iOS devices would need a static ip in order to work. Then other iOS devices would fail to connect or drop off when roaming the house.

I then purchased the Amplifi HD system. Same problems!

With family complaining about the Wi-Fi, I bought the sixth generation AirPort Extreme and a TP-Link AV2000 Powerline Adapter Kit. This allowed me to locate the single AirPort Extreme in the very center of the house, connected to the modem via the latest and fastest powerline adapter. It works great. I sold all the others on eBay.

I hope Wi-Fi routers have a future at Apple. I didn’t try the Veloop or Orbi mesh ones.
  9. nofunsir macrumors member

Dec 30, 2009
    fyi typo: "and AirPlay functionality for the AirPort Express"
  10. jasonefmonk macrumors regular

May 5, 2011
    Do you mean AirPlay functionality?​
  11. ryanissamson macrumors newbie

Jan 30, 2015
    Worth noting that my Asus router has built in Time Machine integration, which I use. I plug in USB 3.0 drive, check the box in the Asus admin UI to enable Time Machine, and the drive is immediately available (even with encryption) to be used with Time Machine wirelessly.
  12. Kirkster macrumors newbie

Jan 19, 2004
    Wow, Linksys really? I will stick to my Plume setup.
  13. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

Feb 11, 2004
    Cape Cod
    So what are people doing for online backups without AirPort's Time Machine support?
  14. Dan Holmstock macrumors member

Dan Holmstock

May 11, 2016
    Culpeper VA
    I miss my Apple Airport, sadly when I had FIOS and the TV part I had to part ways with it. Seeing how years later the device never updated and I ditched FIOS TV, i went the GOOGLE WIFI MESH System and never been happier. Solid product.
  15. Edsel macrumors regular

Mar 18, 2010
    Over There
    Same here. The Netgear Orbi and its Satellite almost tripled WIFi range over my late 2 x Extreme + 3 x Express network. But, the setup is kind of wonky and it took me awhile to understand Orbi's setup interface.
  16. asdavis10 macrumors 6502

Feb 3, 2008
    My home and family members homes are networked with AirPort routers. They've worked well over the year. Have keep up with increasing ISP speeds. And are easy to self-manage for non-tech people. I keep recommending them to Mac users over other products. Apple are fine to keep the current lineup, possibly reducing the price. But I think they would be well-served to offer a higher end product for home power user that want more features found in other brands.
  17. G5isAlive macrumors 6502

Aug 28, 2003
    After many long nights comparing systems, including the Eero (really wanted it, love the simplicity) I actually went Velop myself 6 months ago and I love it. Works great. As transparent as my airport ever was, and so so much more faster. I have a 1gb fios line so speed was important to me (which is why I ruled out Eero which often has the slowest speeds). At first I felt validated to read Apple was now selling Velop, now, have to admit, i wonder if thats good or bad. But bottom line is, after using apple's routers since they came out, including the latest Airport... I love the Velop and don't feel I have lost anything but gained a lot of coverage.
  18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Jul 16, 2002
    It's all-but abandonware. The Extreme is NOT sub $100, it retails for $200 still. You can get a much more effective mesh system for $200 these days. The Express DOES NOT have 802.11 a/c, the current latest standard. It's just 802.11n. Again, for $99 you can do a lot better.

The best thing about Airport Express is AirPlay, but of course, it won't be updated to support AirPlay 2, so again, hard to justify it among the other competition.

I have an Extreme + 3 Express in my house. The Express are the previous gen. No problems right now but they are living on borrowed time. I also have a much older 802.11n Express -- 2, 3 gens old, I configured for AirPlay only. Works fine for the purpose too. Sad thing Apple doesn't support that older one anymore even though it's 802.11n like the current gen. I had to use a 3rd party app to load up a previous version of Airport Utility to configure it. Ridiculous.
  19. macTW Suspended

Oct 17, 2016
    Still using the AirPort Extreme. Get 120 Mbps download, when the next best router (a $$250 beast from bestbuy - forgot the name as I returned it) got me 70.
  20. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

Feb 4, 2012
    Ive had fios for years not and still used my airport until it couldn't handle the workload I was throwing at it and had to finally replace it.
  21. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

Nov 4, 2008
    Depends what you mean by, “Works better than”.
    Airport is feature limited to the point of being crap.
    Easy to use, but that’s it.
  22. WinstonRumfoord macrumors 6502

Mar 27, 2014
    Agreed. I was getting <5 down on my Air Port Extreme Circa 2012, when I switched to a Orbi setup I was up to 200 down, what I actually pay for.
  23. Ener Ji macrumors regular

Apr 10, 2010
    I plugged my old Time Capsule into my new Netgear Orbi system and it's working well for now. The HD in my Time Capsule is probably slowly going (I get weird errors periodically), so I don't fully trust it. I primarily rely on Cloud Backups, and I also supplement with an occasional Carbon Copy Cloner full-disk backup.
  24. MH01, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018

MH01 Suspended

Feb 11, 2008
    The 2013 £199 AirPort Extreme ?
    Nothing at all, works great with my 2013 £2999 Mac Pro.... Which I bought in 2013.

In 2018 buying either the AirPort Extreme or Mac Pro , you are wasting your money out of brand loyalty instead of common sense . Both very outdated performance wise .

Simple fact is , Apple needs to adjust thier ridiculous prices on these . Price aside , it's fine hardware
  25. Swift macrumors 65832

Feb 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I have the Time Machine, and if you’re not in a big house with steel walls, it’s great. I just got a software update to fix the KRACK vulnerability, too. Is there a faster standard yet? No. Mesh routers deliver stronger signals throughout the house, but for slightly simpler setups. Apple’s stuff is great.