Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
No, not the same price. Normally Apple is pretty good when pricing in Australia (compared to companies like Adobe which really screw us). For example:

iPad with Retina, 16 GB wi-fi:
US store: $499
Australian store: $539

That's the kind of markup I can live with. (Edit: The Australian price is actually less when you subtract the 10% GST, making the prices match very closely with actual currency rates.)

But iPhone 5, 16 GB:
US store: $649
Australian store: $799

That's a big penalty for living down under even though our dollar is on top!

yep, price of isolation as well. That is why our internet is so expensive. We only have three or so underwater pipes coming to Australia vs about 50 to asia etc.
cable1.jpg

Lefteous

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2007
The Samsung Galaxy SIII is $699 unlocked.

The radios, chips and antennas add to the cost as well as all the licensing costs to sell a cell phone.
Well first of all $699 is not the street price.
2nd $629 is the price for LTE iPad which has the same antennas and chips inside.

eim23x

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
Is there a possibility of an official unlocked Verizon model?
This would be really popular for LTE seeking travelers, but I guess it won't really be any competition to the gsm model. ::sigh::

Anybody with a good guess with other phones in the same situation?

Verizon iPhone 5 are unlocked from day 1. When you are in the Apple store
tell them to sell you a Verizon iPhone 5 same price as the unlocked model.

----------

As usual, Apple is ripping people off in other countries. Here in Germany, an unlocked iPhone is 679 Euros. An unlocked iPhone in the US is 649 Dollars. 649 Dollars is 500 Euros, 19 % (our sales tax) of 500 Euros is 95 Euros. The iPhone should really cost around 600 Euros here! Having different GSM bands can't make a difference of 179 Euros pre-tax!

Its not Apple ripping you off. Its Germany with their damn tax.
That all over Europe and Middle East.
where i live its 17% Tax and then remember the import fees that
local import takes.

TeachMeiOS.com

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
Nice for using oversees with a local sim card (if you can find a nano sim card)

I wonder how this will work oversees with it requiring a nano sim card. I know places in Europe offer it, but what about in other places in the world. It will be interesting to see.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
As usual, Apple is ripping people off in other countries. Here in Germany, an unlocked iPhone is 679 Euros. An unlocked iPhone in the US is 649 Dollars. 649 Dollars is 500 Euros, 19 % (our sales tax) of 500 Euros is 95 Euros. The iPhone should really cost around 600 Euros here! Having different GSM bands can't make a difference of 179 Euros pre-tax!

679 minus 600 is 79, not 179.

Plus any import taxes Germany may impose.

Last edited:

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
All I see when I look at those iPhone pictures are the 50-70% profit margins Apple make on them. A 64 Gb iPhone 5, $849... when it costs at most $300 to build.

Deanobear

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I wonder how this will work oversees with it requiring a nano sim card. I know places in Europe offer it, but what about in other places in the world. It will be interesting to see.

Nano sims are a dime a dozen here ;-) ... all I had to do was ask my mobile provider to send a nano sim, and voila ... it arrived 24 hours later, and with Australia Post, that's more than a world record! :eek:

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
About the German price. Without taxes it would be exactly €571 (€679 including tax) which is about $740.

Apple has always been shameless about ripping off non-US customers.

Source: http://store.apple.com/de/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone5 (says tax is €108)

A fair German price would be €599.

It does appear more expensive in Germany, but it's not as big of a difference as you think. The prices we're talking about in USD are pre-tax. In my area, there's a ~8.25% tax that would be added on top of the listed price.

Lefteous

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2007
It does appear more expensive in Germany, but it's not as big of a difference as you think. The prices we're talking about in USD are pre-tax. In my area, there's a ~8.25% tax that would be added on top of the listed price.
Do you have to pay the tax when ordering in the Apple Online Store?

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)
SAVE MONEY - Get the ATT iPhone, then cancel contract!

People are gripping about the delay and the price. I am an American living in Italy, and I've owned every iPhone up to the 4S. I moved here in August. The 64GB iPhone 5 is 949 euros here in Italy, http://store.apple.com/it/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone5

which is $1234 American dollars as of today. This does include tax.

Sorry, but I'm not paying that much. I plan to visit the US in July, so I will buy one for $399, and then I will probably pay the $325 termination fee.

Total cost for 64GB international unlocked iPhone 5: $724 plus taxes.

Why would you pay $849?

And you could have done this from day one!

Of course MacRumors says in June the iPhone 5S may be available :)

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
yep, price of isolation as well.

We're isolated yes (being an island nation), but I wouldn't attribute a huge cost to that. Remember, even the US has to get them shipped from China and we're a lot closer to China than the US is.

Our extremely low population density might be more of a factor, meaning fewer phones being distributed over a large area.

That is why our internet is so expensive. We only have three or so underwater pipes coming to Australia vs about 50 to asia etc.

Cool pic. But it says the data is from 2004! So back then we had a couple of copper wires held together with duct tape… Has it not improved since then? :)

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
People are gripping about the delay and the price. I am an American living in Italy, and I've owned every iPhone up to the 4S. I moved here in August. The 64GB iPhone 5 is 949 euros here in Italy, http://store.apple.com/it/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone5

which is $1234 American dollars as of today. This does include tax.

Sorry, but I'm not paying that much. I plan to visit the US in July, so I will buy one for $399, and then I will probably pay the $325 termination fee.

Total cost for 64GB international unlocked iPhone 5: $724 plus taxes.

Why would you pay $849?

And you could have done this from day one!

Of course MacRumors says in June the iPhone 5S may be available :)

There are other fees that you forgot to include! You will prolly save $20 and going thru all hassle of canceling etc.... This subjects have been discuss so many times.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
Yes the taxes when ordering online from Apple online stores defaults to the local sales tax rate of the customer. If there is a retail presence in the state sales tax is applicable for online sales.

That said I have lived in Australia, but having lived in the US I can see the general cost of living, wages etc are lower here and everything including cruises, iPhones, cars etc cost less here.

[QUOTE=Lefteous;16396214]Do you have to pay the tax when ordering in the Apple Online Store?[/QUOTE]

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Which makes me wonder if these prices are anywhere near profitable, or if they're selling them at cost or even at a loss.
Most likely at a loss, but that's been their MO to gain market share. They really have no choice.

Last edited:

apfeljonas

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Germany
679 minus 600 is 79, not 179.

Plus any import taxes Germany may impose.
Whoops, that's true. However, Germany doesn't have any import duties on phones (http://www.dutycalculator.com/help_center/Import-duty-taxes-when-importing-into-Germany/).

These extra 80 dollars a really a rip off, but it gets even worse when larger storage sizes come in: +110 Euros for 32 Gig, +120 Euros for 640!

110 Euros- 20 Euros tax: 90 Euros for the storage upgrade (32 GB)...that's 114 dollars pre-tax!

120 Euros- 22 Euros tax: 98 Euros pre tax...that's 127 dollars!

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
So only unlocked GSM iPhones, not CDMA phones... what is going on? Why not CDMA phones? Guess I am STILL waiting...

Matthew

What do you consider an unlocked CDMA phone? Sprint and Verizon have never really allowed non-branded phone on their network. That's a carrier policy, not one from the hardware vendor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.