Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this month, Apple began selling an updated World Travel Adapter Kit, which offers a set of seven AC plugs and prongs to fit in different electrical outlets around the world.

The new kit that Apple's selling no longer includes a 30-pin to USB cable, and rather than adding a Lightning to USB cable, Apple has instead opted to ship the kit with no cable and drop the price by $10.

worldtraveladapterkit.jpg
Apple's updated World Travel Adapter Kit includes seven pieces (up from six plus a 30-pin cable) and specifies that it supports outlets in Brazil in addition to North America, Japan, China, United Kingdom, Continental Europe, Korea, Australia, and Hong Kong. Apple has also updated the language specifying which devices the kit is compatible with to reflect its newest products.
The kit is designed to work with iPod, iPhone, and iPad, and is compatible with Apple MagSafe and MagSafe 2 Power Adapters (for MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air), 10W and 12W USB Power Adapters, and Portable Power Adapters.
The updated World Travel Adapter Kit can be purchased from the online Apple Store for the new lower price of $29. It's also available in many Apple retail locations.

Article Link: Apple Now Selling Updated World Travel Adapter Kit With Lower Price, No 30-Pin Cable

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I always get annoyed by the UK one. could they be any bigger, like for real.

Do you travel to the UK? Do you use the UK adapter regularly? If not it seems like a rather petty thing to get annoyed about. I am in the US and have never traveled to the UK or used a UK adapter so I see no reason to be annoyed by it.

Might just be me, I don't know.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Just a question, but why can't they make a snap-on grounded plug for the US? Similar to the "duck bill" plug, but with a grounding pin? I know that it wouldn't fold up, but I just never why they haven't/can't do this for the US when other countries appear to have it.

IrlSmith

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2015
Won't work in Germany ... maybe

The two adaptors with round pins (at 12:00 and 4:00 on the box) look very much like the ones that Verizon ships with their international rental phones. The latter have the correct pin diameter and pitch for the very common German Schuko socket, but the angular "ears" beside the pins prevent the plug from entering the socket. I do hope Apple has actually tried their adaptors in a Schuko socket!
There is a standard plug which the Apple one might fit into (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60906-1 ) but it was not common when I visited in the summer of 2014.

Last edited:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Do you travel to the UK? Do you use the UK adapter regularly? If not it seems like a rather petty thing to get annoyed about. I am in the US and have never traveled to the UK or used a UK adapter so I see no reason to be annoyed by it.

Might just be me, I don't know.

I was a bit exaggerating ^^ but I do go to London a lot. a flight to the UK is cheaper than a fast train ticket to Berlin within my own country. but it really is insanely big compared to the rest. I also liked the fact that the EU one worked in India even though they got a different one which is impossible to do in the UK for obvious reasons.

also what is the difference between the one on top and the one shown on the right?

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
The two adaptors with round pins (at 12:00 and 4:00 on the box) look very much like the ones that Verizon ships with their international rental phones. The latter have the correct pin diameter and pitch for the very common German Schuko socket, but the angular "ears" beside the pins prevent the plug from entering the socket. I do hope Apple has actually tried their adaptors in a Schuko socket!

apple sells millions of products with eu plugs so im pretty sure they know what they are doing.

ive tried an old version of this kit as well as owning few products with that plug on them and no issue

michelg1970

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2011
The Hague - The Netherlands
I always get annoyed by the UK one. could they be any bigger, like for real who came up with that

I used to live some years in Singapore - they have the same plugs. Tricked the system by using a pair of scissors to open / unlock through the (middle) ground hole and then hard insert my continental European plug in.... Sometimes it takes a bit of work but once it is in, it stays :)

Fortunately nowadays hotels around the world (except in the US) offer sockets for different plugs.

But yeah - those UK sockets are bloody big. Especially when you have to go the other way around....

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Waste of money. Just get a cheap plug adapter on eBay for whatever region you are going to. I know the two prong adapter for the EU are like < $1 shipped.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
After spending a lifetime using them to me they feel much more solid and safer than a Euro, Australasian or American plug.

Absolutely, we have them in Ireland too. Easily the strongest feeling, sturdiest at staying in place and safe plug I've ever used. The Italian is wobbly for having 3 pins, but all in a line. The European only has 2 pins and often falls out too. I travel to the Netherlands a lot and it annoys me every time. And the Austrailian and US ones are like something created at shop class 101, by a kindergartener, who got a D-.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I always get annoyed by the UK one. could they be any bigger, like for real who came up with that

UK plugs are big because they they each contain their own fuse. This was done to save on copper wiring in the years following WW2.

FelixAng

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2013
Hong Kong
I think Apple failed in this "update." This design could hardly be clunkier. When traveling through Europe or Asia (where it's normal to run into three different jacks) this Apple's "solution" is cumbersome...so many little parts to carry around. All-in-one adaptors have been around for a while...and they're great!

Attachments

• LEK140-2.jpg
    LEK140-2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 201

flybynight

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2002
The new kit that Apple's selling no longer includes a 30-pin to USB cable, and rather than adding a Lightning to USB cable, Apple has instead opted to ship the kit with no cable and drop the price by $10.

Actually, the kit also used to include a USB power adapter. Old packaging here, note the image on the side of the USB charger:
So they removed the USB to 30-pin cable, which they sell separately for $19, and the USB charger, which they also sell for $19. Then added the Brazil adapter and dropped the price $10. Granted, most people that are buying this don't need the USB charger and cord.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
The UK plug is big and it can be annoying, but it's also the safest plug design in the world.

http://www.fastcodesign.com/3032807/why-england-has-the-best-wall-sockets-on-earth

So a couple of points and a thought.

• US NEMA sockets for new construction or remodels now require tamper resistant sockets. Both standard sockets and GFCI. Which serves the same purpose as the British BS 1363 prong / socket design, in that you can't partially insert a plug or insert a screwdriver or whatnot.
  • Circuits in the US rely on circuit breakers which are superior to fuses by an order of magnitude (though that doesn't prevent high amperage appliances from having their own fuses).
Also, the higher 230V mains voltage in the UK could be considered less safe.

IIRC, many the British BS 1363 sockets seemed to have power switches at the plug, which IMO is far safer than just live power sockets (tamper resistant or not) but I'm told those are optional and not required by code.

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
The European only has 2 pins and often falls out too. I travel to the Netherlands a lot and it annoys me every time.

The reason they fall out - especially in the places you go - is because other travelers tend to hammer in those oversized convertor blocks. Those pins are too thick and stretch the socket out so a normal EU plug falls out.

I've seen this 100's of times! I actually carry such an oversized plug just to be able to get power in those places. The end is UK standard, but it also accepts EU as well. $0.5 adaptor!

Starry

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
California
I was a bit exaggerating ^^ but I do go to London a lot. a flight to the UK is cheaper than a fast train ticket to Berlin within my own country. but it really is insanely big compared to the rest. I also liked the fact that the EU one worked in India even though they got a different one which is impossible to do in the UK for obvious reasons.

also what is the difference between the one on top and the one shown on the right?

Eres de España?!? Que suerte... Jajaja

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
There is a standard plug which the Apple one might fit into (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60906-1 ) but it was not common when I visited in the summer of 2014.

Or Switzerland … ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.