Apple Now Sixth Among Worldwide PC Manufacturers

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Axemantitan, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Axemantitan macrumors 6502

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Firstly, they didn't even release figures for Apple. They only mentioned Toshiba being 5th place, and having just under 20% marketshare. Apple, in 6th place, must have between 0 to 19% of the market.

Secondly, the numbers don't make sense. If Toshiba is 5th place and has 20% of the world market (they were nowhere near 20% last year), then the companies in 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st place must have greater than or equal to 20% share in 2007. Between the top 5 companies, that would add up to >100% of the market.

Add Apple to the list, and you're well over 100%. :confused:

If Gartner is going to make stuff up, they may as well hire me. I'm good at making stuff up.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yeah, can't tell whether it's Gartner or Ars pulling mathematically impossible statistics out of their arse, but this is clearly way off base.

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

5. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I think the 20% figure is actually the year-over-year growth. If you click the "fourth largest vendor in the US for Q1 2008" link, it takes you to an April 2008 article with two charts.

According to that chart, Toshiba's worldwide marketshare rose to 4.3% in Q1 2008, which was a 19.3% increase from the 4.1% share they held in Q1 2007.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Indeed. Wasn't it the estimable Benjamin Disraeli who referred to "Lies, damned lies, and statistics".
    Cheers