Apple Numbers, Pages etc?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Daniel97, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

I would like to be able to use my iPad to create, edit and send word and excel files back and forth between my Mac and iPad.

Will numbers allow me to edit existing excel docs?

And will pages allow similar functionalty with word?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

It seems so.

I've not actually tried it, but according to Apple you shouldn't have a problem:
    http://www.apple.com/ipad/from-the-app-store/numbers.html

http://www.apple.com/ipad/from-the-app-store/pages.html

3. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

although i can open it - can i edit it and resave it to send back?

i read the apple site but couldnt clarify this?

£12 is alot of money for 2 apps if i cannot do this :)

4. Mitthrawnuruodo, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

He-he... I noticed that they say "open" end not "edit", but assumed that when you've opened it, you can also edit it (that it's not a just a reader).

I'll see if I cannot do an experiment with Numbers on my iPhone and an excel file. Gimme a few minutes. (Unless someone chimes in with an answer either way in the mean time.) :)

Edit: It seems to have worked.

I exported an Excel file from Numbers on my Mac (I don't have Excel), emailed it to myself, opened it up in Numbers on my iPhone, added a number to one cell, and emailed it back to myself as an Excel file, looked at it in QuickLook to confirm the addition was there.

5. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thank you very much - appreciate that! :D

planning our wedding atm and we use the ipad for all of our lists etc and take it to the venues and suppliers to take notes

BUT

my excel spreadsheet of costings and amounts is on my mac at home - if i had the excel on my ipad it would be perfect!

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

No problem.

As I said in the edit above, it worked.

And - as an added bonus - the new universal Numbers and Pages now works on the iPhone in addition to the iPad, so if you have an iPhone and needs to do a quick and dirty revision, you can.

Of course it the Excel files contains lots of macros and stuff, then all bets are off... ;)

There have been some rumors about MS making an iOS/iPad version of Office, but if there's anything in that, I don't know. (And even if it were, MS isn't the fastest working company in the World.)

7. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

okay so i can email excel files to my phone/ipad and then open them up in numbers .. change a few things and email it back if needed?

perfect!

ive seen the MS rumours but like you i fugured MS were hardly speedy in there decisions

8. forum user macrumors regular

You don't need to email it. You can share it in iTunes, see "Using File Sharing to send a file TO/FROM Keynote, Pages, or Numbers for iPad" on : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4088

- Olaf

9. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can I sync between the 2 though - even though the mac doesn't have iWork? I use Microsoft office instead ..

10. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

When you share it back to iTunes, it will ask what format you want to save it in: Numbers, PDF or Excel. If you pick Excel it will create an Excel Spreadsheet that you can grab from iTunes. When you've finished your editing, drop the Excel file back into iTunes and re-open it in Numbers
    If you have MobileMe, you can also do the same thing to a MobileMe iDisk and do the sharing over the air
    Finally, if you have a WebDav account (such as Microsoft SkyDrive, Sharepoint or Dropbox with the DropDav 3rd party add-on), you can share over the air with those too

11. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i have dropbox .. just cant edit with that which is a shame :(

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The answer depends, very much, on how complicated the Word and Excel documents are.

For instance, Word or Excel files with lots of macros, Visual Basic coding, or obscure (proprietary) Microsoft image or video files attached probably aren't going to work very well. And you may notice that the Fonts used in Pages aren't always an exact match for those in Word.

But for most spreadsheets and word processing files the average user is going to encounter, I've found that Pages and Numbers seem to work very well opening, editing, and creating their Office Suite counterparts.

13. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can if you create a dropdav account at http://dropdav.com: you connect via WebDAV in numbers to dav.dropdav.com. The only downside is it costs $5 a month. For me, it's well worth it but it may not be for everyone

14. ScoutDad macrumors member

A free alternative to dropdav (and their new pricing structure) I discovered from someone on this forum is DropDAV (Limited). You can find their sign-up at:

https://dropdav.appspot.com/

I just linked my dropbox account to it and so far it works fine thru pages/numbers/keynote for the iphone and ipad. I'm not a heavy user, so for the limited amount I use it, "free" is much better!! :)

15. saberahul macrumors 68040

OP: Numbers does what you are looking for on the iPad. Only limitation I found is the lack of support for Pivot Tables (highly important for me). Also, some table formatting is usually out of proportion for complicated tables (by complicated I mean tables that have more than just plain text or numbers).

16. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

Merged cells is another thing Numbers doesn't like. I've had loads of alerts when first opening converted files saying merged cells have been unmerged.

17. hansvon macrumors member

If I bought Pages on my iPad, and I go to buy it on iPhone's app store, will it just redownload or will I end up paying for it again?

18. marc11 macrumors 68000

The iPhone and iPad apps are downloaded together, so if you purchased one, you have it for both devices. What SUCKS IMHO is that if you purchase iWork for your Mac, they do not automatically give you the iPhone/iPad app for free, which IMHO they should. To expect someone to $90 for iWork to use it on your Mac and iPad is insane.

19. Kizmatti macrumors newbie

^^^^^^^

If you buy numbers, pages, or keynote on ipad it will install/download for free on iphone, and vise versa.

It is only the imac versions which will cost extra to install.