Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone-6-Touch-ID-250x248.png
Apple has been working to acquire the intellectual property assets of Charlottesville, Virginia-based biometric security firm Privaris, according to CNN. Privaris recently transferred 26 of its 31 patents to the iPhone maker, including 4 patents in December 2012 and dozens more in October 2014.

The patents are primarily related to fingerprint and touchscreen technology that could lead to Touch ID improvements on future devices. Last February, well-informed KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo told investors that the next iPhone will have an improved Touch ID with reduced errors.
"For example, one of Privaris' patents covers the ability to use a touchscreen and fingerprint reader at the same time. Another invention of Privaris' could allow you to open a door with your iPhone by scanning your fingerprint and holding your phone up to a reader, similar to how you pay for items with Apple Pay."
While the transferred patents have fueled acquisition rumors, the Privaris website has not been updated since 2010 and seemingly none of the company's senior executives or other employees have updated their LinkedIn profiles with positions at Apple.

Accordingly, it is more likely that Privaris has scaled down or went out of business and Apple has acquired the company's patent portfolio and other intellectual property. However, the possibility of an acquisition cannot be entirely ruled out.

Privaris, which reportedly raised $29 million in funding, developed a lineup of PlusID personal biometric devices to access computers, networks, websites, software, VPNs, secured printers and online apps.

The company has also offered several other products and services related to access control systems, fingerprint authentication, biometric computer security, biometric security software and access cards, all technologies that fall within the realm of Touch ID.

Update: MacRumors has heard Privaris essentially shut down roughly five years ago, so this certainly appears to be a patent portfolio purchase rather than a full acquisition of Privaris by Apple.

Article Link: Apple Obtains Touch ID-Related Patents From Biometric Security Firm Privaris

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
"For example, one of Privaris' patents covers the ability to use a touchscreen and fingerprint reader at the same time."

Home button-less iPhone 7 anyone?
Yep, been thinking that for ages. I think the next big thing they can do is have "wall to wall" screen and no buttons on the front. It may be that if you push the middle of the screen hard, it can act as the home button, or similar...

Reactions: Col4bin

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
If they incorporate the technology so that you can read fingerprints directly from the touchscreen, we will see a bunch of palm reading apps.:D

Still the ideal of possibly not needing a home button is interesting. Could make the phone smaller without changing the screen size or could allow for larger screens in the same form factor. Although I love the home button, this seems like it good be a big win.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Yep, been thinking that for ages. I think the next big thing they can do is have "wall to wall" screen and no buttons on the front. It may be that if you push the middle of the screen hard, it can act as the home button, or similar...

And then any app that has you pushing in the middle of the screen fails because it takes you back to the home screen. :D

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010

Great thought, and I'd love it, and wanted such a thing since even before the 1st iPhone was launched.

However we have one rather large problem, and that's Apple.

Apple LOVES Bezels.

Loves BIG Bezels.

Other companies are working hard to make bezels thinner and thinner, but Apple still stays in the past.
It's a shame :(

Reactions: Col4bin

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
While the transferred patents have fueled acquisition rumors, the Privaris website has not been updated since 2010 and seemingly none of the company's senior executives or other employees have updated their LinkedIn profiles with positions at Apple.
"OK, Boys, we have a website. Glad we got that done. Check that off the list. What's next?"

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
"For example, one of Privaris' patents covers the ability to use a touchscreen and fingerprint reader at the same time."

Home button-less iPhone 7 anyone?

Like the Google Nexus phones for the past three years? I guess that would work.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
Let's hope one of the patents includes being able to read a fingerprint from wet/sweaty hands.

Andrei90

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Great thought, and I'd love it, and wanted such a thing since even before the 1st iPhone was launched.

However we have one rather large problem, and that's Apple.

Apple LOVES Bezels.

Loves BIG Bezels.

Other companies are working hard to make bezels thinner and thinner, but Apple still stays in the past.
It's a shame :(

But I thought the reason for the bezel was to fit the speaker and the frontal camera in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.