Apple OEM Foot Replacement - DIY Kit

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sora, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Sora macrumors 6502

Sora

So, 1 of my foot pads went bad and I took it into the Apple store in March of this year. I was told that I would have to buy a new bottom case because it's not a warranty part (I have Applecare which expires next year). Total cost - somewhere in the $150 range.

Several months later, another foot pad fell off. I called Applecare. They said I can send it in or do it myself. I opted for doing it myself. They transferred me to the DIY department. They asked me how many I needed. I said might as well replace all of them - 4.
    The call was quick. They were very apologetic. Actual words "this is not how the macbook pro should function, and I hope this resolves your concerns."

Two days later. These came in the mail. Four DIY kits. Each containing 2 foot replacements.

Process takes about 70 minutes (10 of actual work), 60 minutes for everything to dry before placing the cover back on.

Hope this helps someone out there who needs replacement pads. Don't crazy glue target/Home Depot or whatever other replacement pad onto your laptop (suggestion's I've seen). Give Apple a call.

Attached Files:

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Amazing service!

I happen to have a Speck case so it protects my foot as well.

I really recommend getting a bottom plate case.
    It helps from scratches and keeps the foots clean and on.

3. Sora, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

Sora thread starter macrumors 6502

Sora

This article addresses the issue as well.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5236

Thanks for the suggestion. I had a Speck case for my 2006 MacBook Pro. Was worth the $$, and I was transporting it a lot.
    Don't really move my 17" that much :)

4. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Nice ! All of mine came off. I can't remember what the Apple Genius said about replacing it. I thought it was odd how they can easily come off.

5. Sora thread starter macrumors 6502

Sora

The old ones used a clip mechanism. The plastic/rubber actually wore out on mine (cracks on all footpads).

The new ones use glue on the back, and reinforced with a matte black adhesive circles. They seem more secure and durable.

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Ah I see!
    Apple has some great customer support :D

7. entropi macrumors 6502

oh finally this problem is recognized by Apple!

All my feet on my MBP17 C2D 2,93 Ghz has fallen off and I glued them back with varying degrees of success - the two at the back fell off pretty quickly again - the superglue couldn't really stand the heat I guess...

I would much more prefer some kind of metal/screw-design instead of this - they wouldn't be so prone to fall off and could guarantee proper airflow under the computer when it's on a flat surface.

8. Sora thread starter macrumors 6502

Sora

If you plan and calling Apple and getting the DIY kit, I hope you can get the glue residue off the aluminum bottom so you can get a nice seal with the new feet.
    The install wasn't messy at all - but I wasn't liberal with the included glue. I used maybe 2 drops on each foot.

Hope things are better moving forward for you.

9. Blue604 macrumors regular

10. Sora, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014

Sora thread starter macrumors 6502

Sora

It should be free. Give Apple a call, and asked to be transferred to the DIY Department.
    If not, PM me and I'll send you one of mine. I only used 2 of 4 of the kits they gave me. I doubt I will have this laptop long enough to use the remaining 2 kits! :D

11. harry454 macrumors 6502

Thats weird, I had similar issues where one of my bottom feet came off. My MBP was still in warranty, however the genius simply just replaced it with a new bottom case in 10 minutes and I walked out.

12. Shedless macrumors newbie

the cost of replacement feet

I took your advice and did so. For my out-of-warranty MBP, Apple's price is $13.50 + $9.77 shipping/handling = $23.27 for a set of four feet. :eek:

Sora, if your kind offer is still available, I'd gladly accept one of your kits. :)

13. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I've seen foot kits on ebay for around $10, but I don't know how reliable they are.

As for Apples DIY department, willing to share the phone number? I didn't know they even had such a thing!!

14. Sora thread starter macrumors 6502

Sora

They didn't share a number with me unfortunately. When I called they said they said I had the choice of having it done in the Apple store or having a kit sent out to me. I chose the second option. Then they said to hold while they transferred me to the DIY Department. I presume if you called and asked to be transferred they would send you to the same place. If you do get a number please post it. :)

15. pmcginley macrumors newbie

hello there - sorry to be presumptuous, and i know this is an old thread, but i don't suppose you still have those old kits laying around? :) i've also been quoted an exhorbitant price, which replaces all 4 pads, even though i only need one. i'd happily pay the postage if they're going to waste (to MA).

16. Sora thread starter macrumors 6502

Sora

I actually do have 2 kits left.
    Send me a PM and I'll mail it out to you.

Glad to help someone else in this situation.:)

17. pmcginley macrumors newbie

many thanks! :) although, hm, seems like i can't send PMs, as i'm a relatively new member (actually because i have a low postcount, it seems). maybe you can send me one?

18. Sora thread starter macrumors 6502

Sora

Done.

19. pmcginley macrumors newbie

and replied to. many thanks again!

20. funwithdesign macrumors regular

If anyone else needs these, lots of them on ebay for reasonable prices. The feet fall off eventually on most of these. My 2010 13" just lost three.

21. CodyS4, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

CodyS4 macrumors newbie

Hey Sora, my foot fell off the other day too and have been searching for oem feet. Do you have any more left?:) That would help me out greatly!!

22. pmcginley macrumors newbie

hi sora - just checking - did you receive the email with the address from me back in september? to be perfectly honest, i forgot all about it. ;) but now i realise i haven't received anything from you...