Apple offered to Swap phone due to battery

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by pugnut, Apr 22, 2013.

1. pugnut macrumors 6502a

I have been having issues with 6.1.3 and battery life-getting about 6-8 hours of stand by with 1.5-2 hours of usage. Prior I was getting in excess of 18+ in standby with 4-5 of usage.

They offered a replacement phone, but not really sure that it will do anything. Worth taking it or not?

I have done a DFU restore and multipe restores without using backup.

2. midnightMachine macrumors member

Is this a trick question? lol. :D

Seriously though.. Unless there is something specific to your current hardware that is of great value, I don't see why you wouldn't take the new one.. If it is an issue with the software that is causing the battery issues, then that won't go away.. but you'd at least know that you have a new device to start fresh with.. I guess the only way I could see accepting the new one is if it was using one of your AppleCare+ "Accidental Damage" claims.. otherwise.. why not? IMO

3. large farva macrumors regular

How long have you been having this battery problem? Because I updated to 6.1.3 and I am seeing no difference in battery life. if I'm using it fairly heavily, like taking video or such, the battery can drop somewhat quickly, but no faster than it did with 6.1.2. The reason I asked you how long this has been happening for, is because Ive seen some people say that after a software update, there are certain optimization processes that run, which could cause an increase in battery usage. The other people have been saying that it should return to normal in a few days or so. Other than that, I don't know if getting an exchange would help, but it might. As maybe the battery in your iPhone, for some reason is the strongest? Which could be allowing it to drain excessively with the new update?

4. pugnut thread starter macrumors 6502a

It started to happen right after 6.1.3 and not using Exchange at all.

Ken-

5. kolax macrumors G3

I've found iOS 6 to be really crap on battery life in general.

Have you run your phone with no apps open to see how long it lasts?

6. pugnut thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have done everything- It is sitting on my desk, no apps open, no texts or emails and it drained 10% in the past 30 minutes.

7. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

...and your cell signal strength is?

8. kolax macrumors G3

It might be a battery/hardware defect, that's slowly come on? I'd get your phone swapped out.

Only other thing to try, is put it in airplane mode and see how long it lasts.

9. pugnut thread starter macrumors 6502a

LTE turned off and good signal on 4g

10. large farva macrumors regular

Alright, and how long has it been going on for? Because what other people have said, about the "optimization processes", might explain it. But, if it's been going on for a week or so, then those processes should have since ceased and shouldn't be causing problems. Then again, that wouldn't explain why every iPhone user isn't haveing this problem. I'm starting to think it may be linked to a defective battery in your case, and possibly the battery's weakness is further more exploited with a heavier draining update.

11. pugnut thread starter macrumors 6502a

it has been this way for weeks. I have tried everything.

12. goodcow macrumors 6502a

If it's an iPhone 5, they should just be replacing the battery, not the entire phone.

I just had my battery replaced last week because I destroyed it via constant charging for tethering as my primary home internet connection. They took it in the back and gave me back my same phone with a new battery.

13. pugnut thread starter macrumors 6502a

they offered a new battery or the phone. My decision is to grab the new phone- why not.

14. pugnut thread starter macrumors 6502a

New Phone

Ok swapped the new phone and it is on 6.1.2, which I had zero issues with before. Zero reasons for to be update now.

15. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Do you have the Facebook app installed? If so that may really drain your battery a lot. If you have it installed you should go through the app settings and make sure push notifications are turned off on many of the applications within Facebook app

16. pugnut thread starter macrumors 6502a

I do/did have the app installed and agree it drained, but not having that issue on 6.1.2. Also on 6.1.2 I am noticing no phantom usage.

17. Sean006 macrumors 6502

i had to do this with mine....let them swap it...i was having the same issue after 6.1.2 battery was draining fast and phone was getting hot...

this replacement with 6.1.3
    right now at
    4 hrs use
    18hrs stnd by
    58% left

18. pugnut thread starter macrumors 6502a

6.1.2-and getting 17+ hrs of sstandby with 5+ hours of usage and not completly drained. There is no way I am upgrading to 6.1.3

19. Derek87 macrumors 6502

this is comparable to me...and that is already disappointing.

i got about 6-8hrs usage with two days (in reality, probably 1.7 days because i'd charge every other night) on my iphone 4.

i was getting something similar on my iphone 5 with 6.0, but since then, i am seeing closer to 5 hours, even with only one day usage (less than 24 hrs standby) on 6.1.2. not sure if it's my phone or the OS. i have tried everything including starting from scratch and nothing has improved this situation.

it should be noted that i basically have nothing running in the background (manual fetch of mail, very few notifications, and only a couple icloud things -- find my iphone, contacts, photostream <although i take very few photos>)

20. Sean006 macrumors 6502

this replacement with 6.1.3
    right now at
    4 hrs use
    18hrs stnd by
    58% left

i think these numbers are great...are you guys trying to tell me its not good ?

hell on my old phone i would not even get 11hrs stnd by out of the whole battery.

do the math on the stats above prob would get about 40hrs stnd by and 8hr...thats way better... :)

21. Derek87 macrumors 6502

i would love to see those numbers.

just curious: are any of your 4 hrs "just listening to music."? in my experience, that is the only time i get decent usage numbers...but that's not surprising since that doesn't require the screen and the audio player is rated for something like 40 hrs for the iphone 5.

22. Sean006 macrumors 6502

none of it is music....i usually stream on the ipad at work :)

23. Derek87 macrumors 6502

:)

good to know. i guess i should make a trip to the apple store at some point. (they promised me the next time they would swap it out for me so i don't see any problems as its already noted on my file. 5+ hours is getting me by by, it would be nice to be in the 7-8 hour range...especially considering what i use my phone for and how few things i have running in the background.

24. pugnut thread starter macrumors 6502a

day 3 on replaced phone with 6.1.2

1 day, 3 hours with 4 hrs 49 minutes of usage. See zero reason to update the software to 6.1.3

Attached Files:

25. Derek87 macrumors 6502

this is pretty similar to what i've seen. what do you have running in the "background"?

how is your signal strength?

me: 5bars, strong at home 4G (microcell) and at work 3bars (i turn off LTE in hopes of saving power)

i basically web surf and read email and get about 5 hrs of usage per charge.

background: fetch mail manually; icloud services of photostream and syncing contacts and notes; minimal notification (messages,phone,google voice, calendar); everything else i can think of that would eat battery, i turn off.

i actually upgraded to 6.1.3 with the intention of going into the apple store in a few weeks for a trade (as they promised on my last visit). i know i lost the ability to jailbreak, but i wanted to make one last ditched effort here...

anyway, no real change in 6.1.3. not worse, but not better...

(and i've done everything from restore from backup, DFU reset, and starting the phone from scratch...)