Apple Offering $30 Discounts on Leopard and 500 GB Time Capsule to MobileMe Members

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple is currently offering $30 discounts on Mac OS X Leopard and the 500 GB Time Capsule to current MobileMe members using a promo code sent to their MobileMe e-mail accounts. The offer is valid through June 1, 2009.

Apple has been making substantial efforts to upgrade as many users as possible to Leopard, also launching a discounted Mac Box Set consisting of Leopard, iLife '09 and iWork '09 earlier this year.

Apple updated its Time Capsule offerings early last month, adding dual-band networking, guest wireless networks, and remote file access to the router/hard drive combination unit. Currently available in 500 GB and 1 TB models, an image depicting a 2 TB Time Capsule retail box was recently spotted on a third-party retailer's site, although it is unclear if or when larger capacity models will be released.

Article Link: Apple Offering $30 Discounts on Leopard and 500 GB Time Capsule to MobileMe Members

tosui

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
Agreed.

Hopefullly this means the 1Tb will be $300 - that was waay too much for a measly 500Gb these days, even with an Airport built in. Geez Apple, haven't you seen the Microsoft ads??? :D

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
just thought the same
Nope, and that's a particularly stupid thought to have for a product that is only slightly more expensive to manufacture than the free AOL CDs that were mailed out for years, to complete strangers.

They have noticed a big fragmentation in the user base. Despite the big surge 10.5 had the first week, a lot of 10.4 users aren't upgrading. Apple is beginning to have an actual user base(as opposed to a fan base), and that means they can't sell as many newer products if the software companies are busy targeting the older products.

This is all about keeping products going obsolete as fast as possible, and not letting the customers slow them down.

I still hope they will begin a policy of producing security updates for five years after a product is discontinued, but perhaps these discounts are their attempt to avoid doing that.

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
I still hope they will begin a policy of producing security updates for five years after a product is discontinued, but perhaps these discounts are their attempt to avoid doing that.
Apple will never do that as they are very quick to drop legacy support. With the release of Snow Leopard, Tiger will likely soon be dropped from support, as it seems Apple, like Microsoft, only supports the last 2 OS releases.

dantherevelator

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
This sort of thing would be a great occasional benefit of MobileMe membership, have they ever done discounts for MobileMe/.Mac members before?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Yes, I got an email for this.

Save $30 on Mac OS X Leopard.
If you haven't upgraded to Leopard yet, do it today to get the most out of MobileMe. You can sync contacts and calendars faster than ever, and connect to your home Mac from anywhere in the world using Back to My Mac.
Use this Promo Code at checkout: XXXXXXXXX

Save $30 on a 500GB Time Capsule.
Time Capsule works with Time Machine in Leopard to back up your Mac computers wirelessly and automatically. And as a MobileMe member, you can access files on your Time Capsule drive over the Internet, wherever you go.
Use this Promo Code at checkout:XXXXXXXXX

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Apple will never do that as they are very quick to drop legacy support. With the release of Snow Leopard, Tiger will likely soon be dropped from support, as it seems Apple, like Microsoft, only supports the last 2 OS releases.
Tiger is legacy? Where do you people come from?

Microsoft is supporting Windows 2000 until July 2010. XP will be supported until 2014. Microsoft does NOT have a policy of only supporting two OSes. They give every OS a lengthy, defined support lifecycle.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Microsoft only stopped supporting Windows 3.11 for embedded devices as of November 2008.

And XP will be supported until 2014, by which the successor to the successor of Windows 7 will probably be out.

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
I think their policy has always been to release security updates for one release back from the current OS version, and no updates at all beyond that. The last build of Panther, 10.3.9, was in mid-April 2005 and there have been no updates for it after Leopard came out 2.5 years later. I expect we won't see any more updates for Tiger once Snow Leopard is released, probably less than 2 years after Tiger's last build.

yoyomaster

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2009
I don't know about you all, but $30 off would not persuade me to purchase either of these two items.

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
FL
Got the e-mail...very MEH...I've had Leopard for a long time, and $269 for 500GB is outrageous. I'm holding out for 2TB.

jasonv1

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2009
Actually Microsoft guarantees 10 years of support for business/developer products (for OS's this means the pro/enterprise/business versions); that policy has been in place for 5 years: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/gp/lifepolicy

Would dropping support for 10.4 obsolete any hardware? (Yes I know hardware always works but some companies/regulations/etc don't allow companies to keep around production platforms that cannot be patched).

Jason

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
I received it as well... Won't help me out since I already have both...

Nuc

csmitty

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2007
I've got both as well so not really worth it, other than maybe getting the dual band support. But if the new iphone has draft n, then no real need as all my devices will be n compatible. Plus I'll need some more storage, but nothing a call to newegg wouldn't take care of. If the 2TB is true its gonna atleast 499 if not 599. There a very few 2TB drives.

I assume the TC are 3.5" drives. I cant remember at the moment.

But every so often this would be nice for MM subscribers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.