Apple Offering Discounts on HomePod to Apple Music Subscribers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 12, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple this morning began offering promo codes to Apple Music subscribers that allow them to buy a HomePod at a discounted price for a limited time, in a holiday-themed promotion.

As of writing, customers in the UK have received codes for £50 off a new HomePod, bringing the price down to £269, with the offer available until December 16.

[​IMG]

The discount is being offered via an email from Apple that includes a button-style link to 'Get Your Promo Code', which sends customers to the official Apple website with the promotional offer applied.
    The £50 discount narrowly beats the price of HomePod from John Lewis and Currys PC World, both of which are currently selling Apple's smart speaker for £279.

As yet, it's not clear whether Apple intends to extend similar discounts to other regions, but we'll update this article as soon as we hear anything.

(Thanks, Luke and Mark!)

Article Link: Apple Offering Discounts on HomePod to Apple Music Subscribers

2. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

Saw this pop into my inbox this morning, thought it was some clever looking spam.......... A shame Apple aren't leading the way, and appear to be reacting to two high street retailers attempting to clear some inventory.

3. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

4. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

I want to like this product but I just feel it's not smart enough to warrant its existence.

5. Brenster macrumors 6502a

UK Family subscriber for a couple of years here, no email so far. Might be interested in getting one to audition alongside the existing Sonos kit around the house.

6. TheFluffyDuck macrumors 6502

Its almost as if Apple has priced itself out of the market hmmmm. iPhone XR needs more marketing to sell them, and HomePods need a price drop to sell them when there are superior products on the market which lost less than the discount being offered.

Now please extend this to every other Apple product.

7. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

8. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

9. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

Which is even better if you live outside of NY as I believe no tax with certain states.

10. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

Still too high. For most people listening to music on an Echo is more than acceptable..

11. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

Some people like high quality speakers.

12. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

Same principle can be applied to a lot of things.
    People will by what they like and fits their budget.

13. rmoliv macrumors 6502a

Looks like they're desperate.
    I love HomePod.

14. Wiesenlooser, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2018

Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

This isn't the Apple I know, writing coupons and ****.

Get real and just lower the price. 249 is a decent price for what you get.

15. jimothyGator macrumors regular

jimothyGator

I’ve got no idea if that’s true for “most people,” but if it is, most people have poor taste. Echos may be good at a lot of things, but sound quality isn’t one of them. (To be fair, I haven’t heard the 2nd gen Echo Plus yet; maybe it’s acceptable).

16. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

I know lots of people who just use their smartphone speakers at home.

17. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

This piece of anecdotal experience is totally meaningless.

18. Suttree macrumors newbie

Suttree

Exactly. I laugh at people who buy “quality” sound equipment. I use knock-off earbuds from the dollar store and it’s just as good as those ugly over-the-ear headphones. Guess people love to waste money.

19. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

This thing is a huge fail. And it’s not because it’s a bad speaker. It’s simply because apple has no clue how to make Siri smarter. It’s crazy how all the money in the world can’t make you better in the AI space. What bothers me the most is Apples arrogance. They actually thought people would buy this speaker at a higher price point in a time when their competitors were selling equivalent hardware with better software.

20. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

You’re very welcome; after 12 years of reading here, it feels good to contribute back!

I ordered one for my mum, we almost pulled the trigger at John Lewis yesterday as well :D

21. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

This could be read as you are bothered by people who buy "quality" sound equipment.
    Otherwise why would you even concern yourself as to laugh at what other people spend their money on.
    Moreover, there are possibly people who laugh at your "dollar store knocks offs".

22. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Or you're just too cheap to buy better quality stuff.

23. joueboy macrumors 65816

While they're at it might as well throw in a free 1 year Apple Music. Wait every dollar counts for Apple now desperately needing more money to beat the record financial report next year. Tim would rather make his investors happy than the general public.

24. mctrials23 macrumors 6502

Apple will be like Samsung in a few years at this rate. RRP of all their products is super premium pricing but 2 months later it will be available at ~60-70% RRP.