Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has initiated a new three-year service policy for the Smart Keyboard for both the 9.7-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro, MacRumors has learned.

smart-keyboard-ipad-800x612.jpg

Apple has determined that some Smart Keyboards may experience "functional issues" during use, such as the Smart Connector not working or certain keys sticking, repeating, or not responding, according to an internal memo distributed to Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers last week.

Apple says it will service any qualifying Smart Keyboard free of charge within three years of the date it was originally purchased.

We recommend affected customers call an Apple Store to schedule a Genius Bar appointment or visit an Apple Authorized Service Provider to initiate the repair process. Affected customers can also contact Apple support by phone, online chat, or email by selecting iPad > iPad Accessories on this page.

Due to the newness of this service policy, some Apple support employees may be unfamiliar with its existence, in which case we recommend escalating your request to a senior AppleCare advisor.

Update: In May 2019, we received an email from a customer who claims that Apple denied existence of this policy. Your mileage may vary.

Article Link: Apple Offering Free Smart Keyboard Repairs Under New 3-Year Policy

Reactions: keysofanxiety

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Strange, I've not seen many, if any, complaints on these forums about these issues, aside from software bugs.

Never had any issues with my own Smart Keyboards (both sizes, and I got new ones when they added international layouts).

The 2016 MacBook Pro, though... when is the repair programme coming for that! :p

Reactions: compwiz1202

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Strange, I've not seen many, if any, complaints on these forums about these issues, aside from software bugs.

Mine has issues. The most annoying of which is that when folder back into book form, it will sometimes cause my iPad to act as though someone is stabbing jabbing the power button at break-neck speed. It's out of warranty so I was gearing up to replacing it with a logitech unit, but if this article gives me hope I might just be able to get it fixed.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

Elmcgee

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
Mine has issues. The most annoying of which is that when folder back into book form, it will sometimes cause my iPad to act as though someone is stabbing jabbing the power button at break-neck speed. It's out of warranty so I was gearing up to replacing it with a logitech unit, but if this article gives me hope I might just be able to get it fixed.
[doublepost=1494250472][/doublepost]I love mine..the only issue I have is that the keys wear off...I had it replaced under warranty once, and now the a and the e key have worn off of this one.

Eddie

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I love the Smart Keyboard Cover. I don't know what it is, but it feels amazing to type on.

I'm happy to see this news. The 9.7" cover I had stopped working completely 1 week before it's 1 year warranty was up. Apple replaced it quickly anyhow.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Well you'd bloody hope so, with the ridiculous price tag it comes with.

Or am I speaking about all Apple products?

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
I was actually looking at the Logictech keyboard for a 12.9 inch Ipad. What didn't you like about it? Why was the Apple keyboard your goto?

it's huge and heavy. I went iPad Pro to have something smaller and lighter than my laptop to travel with. With the addition of the logitech keyboard my iPad was larger and heavier thus defeating the purpose. That thing is a tank. (I have the 12.9 by the way)

SBA

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2008
I've been really happy with mine, but I did run into this problem with the original one I purchased and had the Apple Store replace it for me sometime late last year.

Basically the keyboard just randomly stopped responding to inputs. Disconnecting and re-attaching didn't help, so Apple just swapped it for a new one without a problem. Hoping this new one doesn't run into the same issue, but so far so good.

LoadStar

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
This might explain why the Smart Keyboard 9.7 we ordered for one of our staff has been on backorder for over a month. (It was ordered direct from Apple, so it's not a problem with a third party supplier.)

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
it's huge and heavy. I went iPad Pro to have something smaller and lighter than my laptop to travel with. With the addition of the logitech keyboard my iPad was larger and heavier thus defeating the purpose. That thing is a tank. (I have the 12.9 by the way)

Good to know. Thank you.

jacjustjac

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
New York, NY
It's my favorite iPad keyboard, by far. What is "nasty" about it?
The price, despite lack of backlighting, function keys, backside protection, or an easy way to lay it semi-flat to use with the Apple Pencil. My 9.7" Logitech Pro Create with Smart Connector has all this and even has a holder for the pencil.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Well you'd bloody hope so, with the ridiculous price tag it comes with.

Or am I speaking about all Apple products?

Your probably talking about most Apple products to be honest but if it's great quality like most (if not all Apple products) then most people don't mind paying the money. This keyboard is nice to type on tho and a lot of people seem to agree.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
It's my favorite iPad keyboard, by far. What is "nasty" about it?

This.

The only thing that's bad is the price, otherwise, it's excellent!

There's no reason a keyboard should cost almost the same as an Apple TV.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
Another cruddy product with poor QA/QC. Pretty much what we have come to expect from Tim Kook's Apple.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
In other news, an Apple Extended Keyboard (I) failed after falling off a truck at 82 mph.

mdellepi

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2015
Germany
Mine works fine but I think that the software managing the writing could act better. The auto-correct is much much more annoying than when one writes using the screen keyboard. Like when you digit "a and it changes it to ä if you don't notice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.