Apple offering replacement...which to get: MB or MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BigDave48, Aug 25, 2009.

1. BigDave48 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a white MacBook from mid-2007. Luckily, I purchased AppleCare because my machine has given me nothing but trouble for the better part of those 2 years. I'll spare all the details, but I've experienced: 1 failed hard drive, 2 case crackings, and 3 optical drive failures.

Apple has now agreed to offer me a replacement.

So, I need a little advice.

I can get a replacement current Macbook at no extra charge.

Or,

I can pay the difference and upgrade to a MacBook Pro. As I understand it, it would cost $200 to move from the entry level MacBook to the 13" MacBook Pro.

Are the differences worth it? I mainly use my computer for everyday tasks (Net, Word, iTunes, pictures, etc...). Is the MBP sturdier? More reliable?

Basically, is the MBP $200 better than the MB?

Thanks for any input.

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Your MacBook has Intel integrated graphics. The new MBPs have NVidia integrated graphics. I believe they're around 5x better than the Intel. Also, the new MBP's have DDR3 RAM, as opposed to DDR2. You'll get faster boot times, and also apps will seem snappier. Also all the new features; I.E. backlit keyboard, multitouch trackpad, SD card slot... etc. It's really your choice, though I would go with the new MBP. ;)

3. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Based on the problems you've had with that model of MacBook, I don't think it would be unreasonable to replace it with a model that Apple has stated is stronger than its plastic offerings.

So, I would go after the third option you didn't mention: a gesture of good will upgrade to a MBP. They do them. Just tell them why you uniquely have a situation that merits it.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

4. macboy4 macrumors regular

The new MacBooks actually have the NVIDIA GPU...

I'd pay $200 for just the better display in the MBP... it's dramatically better than the MacBook. This doesn't take into consideration the unibody enclosure, faster processor, DDR3 RAM, and backlit keyboard.

I'd say it's worth $200.

5. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

All of the models in the current MacBook family have the NVidia GPU. ;)

6. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

The MBP is definitely worth a $200 upgrade from the MB, I wouldn't hesitate to get it.

If you have the $200 I would highly recommend upgrading to the MBP you won't regret it!

7. cretony38 macrumors member

cretony38

Pro!

Go Pro, you wont be sorry. But if you dont you'll always wonder if you had.

8. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I agree with a poster above who said that the better display is reason enough to upgrade. It will help resell value too, if you decide to go that route in the future.

9. BigDave48 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies. The consensus confirms what I was thinking.

Swinger: You make a great point. I put an e-mail in to the Apple Rep I've been working with, and am waiting to get a response. I must say, the Apple Rep has been great so far in this process.

10. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Being nice to these people always really helps to smooth things along. They're much more willing to help out a considerate consumer than a jerk. Here's hoping you get what you ask for :)