Apple Offers Royalty-Free Patent Licenses to Push Proposed Nano-SIM Standard

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 26, 2012.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Last week, we noted that Apple was still pushing to have its "nano-SIM" design adopted as the official next-generation standard to further reduce the size of the removable cards that include subscriber information and activation capabilities for mobile phones and other devices connecting to cellular networks. While the company has received the backing of a number of European carriers in its effort to roll out the new standard, other hardware companies are putting out their own proposals.

[​IMG]

FOSS Patents now reports that it has seen a letter sent by Apple to the European Telecommunications Standards Institutes (ETSI) committing to offer royalty-free license to its nano-SIM design patents should it be adopted as the next-generation standard and holders of other patents related to the standard offer similar terms to ease adoption.
    A move to a smaller SIM card standard would enable Apple to design smaller and thinner devices or to utilize some of the space within existing device volumes for other components. With the tightly-packed configurations of today's mobile devices, even minor size reductions for a given component can open the door to smaller or better-peforming devices.

Apple has also reportedly been developing a micro dock connector for future iOS devices, a move which would similarly free up space for other uses given the substantial size of the 30-pin dock connector used in all iOS devices released to date.

Article Link: Apple Offers Royalty-Free Patent Licenses to Push Proposed Nano-SIM Standard

2. sciwizam macrumors regular

What's the point of smaller SIM if it needs a tray to hold it?

3. navtis macrumors newbie

Nano SIM

If they would only fit this to a Macbook Air it would be perfect.

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Smaller tray?

5. slrandall macrumors 6502

Apple believes in this enough to give it away for free in order for others to adopt it. What are some of the other proposals?

6. gpat macrumors 6502a

Why don't they use a device to load the data stored in the SIM directly on the iPhone? It would be surely more painless than changing a 14-year old standard, and could provide a smart way to prevent iTheft.

7. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Wirelessly posted

Please adopt it!

I would love a thinner phone!

8. miniroll32 macrumors 65816

miniroll32

[​IMG]

9. kyjaotkb macrumors 6502a

you're the Nokia-Guy !

----------

They want to show the world how reasonable they are with FRAND. Tactical move, not a strategic one.

10. gpat macrumors 6502a

Excuse me? If I said something impossible to accomplish, please explain why it is. I thought the Internet was for sharing.

11. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

I love seeing how Apple swings weight about. They are quite determined, and I see nothing wrong with their desires to reduce or eventually eliminate these SIM cards.

Hope we see the micro-dock connector sooner than later. While the old connector is fine, it is large compared to what is now possible. Yeah, lotsa devices to aid iPods would be stuck in yesteryear, but let's move forward already.

12. kyjaotkb macrumors 6502a

and you're the Verizon guy !

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You will be well-served by doing a little research on the features and benefits of SIM cards.

14. The Mercurian macrumors 68000

As a consumer don't want these nano-SIMS. The micro SIMS are already to small, difficult to handle and easy to loose - nano sims will be bastard things to try and deal with

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That 14 year old standard you're complaining about is one of the greatest innovations in mobile technology since the cell phone was invented.

16. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

I'm curious about how a change in the dock connector would be received by consumers. There's such a huge collection of peripherals for the current dock connector. I wonder how many people would be willing to give them up. I bought three recent accessories with the current dock connector built into them, and they weren't cheap. I know that all technology changes over time, but I wouldn't be happy if I had to ditch my current accessories in order to upgrade my iDevices.

Wouldn't it be nice if Apple had a published road map of what their future held so we all could know what not to buy? (I'm sure their competition would love that.)

17. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I only buy phones with multi-SIM slots for this reason.

However, good luck explaining that to an American, where their chained into 2-year contracts and a single carrier from birth to death.

18. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

I would love it if the iPhone micro-sim was the standard for all phones. Would come in very handy if you wanted a cheap spare phone for using at work or other places where it might get lost/stolen/damaged.

19. fruitycups macrumors 6502

This is a definite must.
    I would love to see this happen.

20. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

just use a cardboard/plastic adapter like most people

LOL

21. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Um, don't need to take phone apart to get to SIM?

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Such as...?

Come on, don't leave us hanging.

23. kiljoy616 macrumors 68000

kiljoy616

Please do enlighten us with what your invention is. We are all ears :rolleyes:

24. ijustgraduated macrumors member