Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
I have indeed noticed a difference: when I pay by inserting my card, the voucher from the POS shows my name. That does not appear on the voucher when I use apple pay. To prove it, I am attaching an example showing two vouchers from purchases made on the exact same kind of card reader (an ingenico move 2500 supplied to each of the merchants by BBVA bank in Mexico). Both purchases were made using Apple Card. While the one on the left, which was made using the titanium card, shows my full name below the signature line (covered for privacy purposes), the one on the right made using apple pay only shows the signature line with no name below it. Clearly the merchants aren’t getting the exact same info using apple pay vs the physical card. View attachment 2343231

That being said, I agree with you that I7guy cannot be objective on Apple. However, I don’t believe he has ever admitted himself to be a fan of the brand, nor do I think he’ll ever do so.
Well should I also provide my stack to the pile. When I take my physical card and use the NFC function on it no private information is shown. Can you guess what info is shown if I use NFC, chip or Apple Pay? Only the last 4 digits of the card number, a name etc is never included.

And that’s exactly the same for credit card or debit card. At any payment terminal in EU. Hmm I do wonder what security measures you actually have in place in the states.

Attachments

• IMG_3508.jpeg
    IMG_3508.jpeg
    265.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3507.jpeg
    IMG_3507.jpeg
    696.2 KB · Views: 31

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
Well should I also provide my stack to the pile. When I take my physical card and use the NFC function on it no private information is shown. Can you guess what info is shown if I use NFC, chip or Apple Pay? Only the last 4 digits of the card number, a name etc is never included.

And that’s exactly the same for credit card or debit card. At any payment terminal in EU. Hmm I do wonder what security measures you actually have in place in the states.

You are proving the point nfc in the card or Apple Pay exact same info.

Saying privacy as the argument is no difference and even then child’s play for them to link up everything to a single person on the merchant level.

The argument on nfc was privacy from the banks which we know is 100% false.

Privacy from the merchant is minimal if anything as yet again they can tell if the same card is used over and over again.

Again it is the banks that want nfc payment. So what privacy is there. It is not Apple on the privacy but what they get back from the card issuer. All Apple provides is the token and thing that goes to the cc network to confirm valid. Aka not Apple protecting privacy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sophisticatednut

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
You are proving the point nfc in the card or Apple Pay exact same info.

Saying privacy as the argument is no difference and even then child’s play for them to link up everything to a single person on the merchant level.

The argument on nfc was privacy from the banks which we know is 100% false.

Privacy from the merchant is minimal if anything as yet again they can tell if the same card is used over and over again.

Again it is the banks that want nfc payment. So what privacy is there.
Indeed, and as far as I can tell if you use Apple Pay or contactless cards it’s equivalent in privacy. At least here, making it kind of pointless contention and fear-mongering without basis for it.

Private info isn’t shared, and im not sure if its in all of EU yet, but payment with signature verification haven’t been possible for almost 4 years in Sweden now as they don’t meet privacy and security standards.

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
And I proved otherwise.

No yours was the chip reader vs nfc. The later example was nfc in the card and Apple Pay which is the same.

2 very different thing. If you really want to break it down all the chip in the card provides is a number and they link that back to known data. Token nfc has to be rebuilt but getting there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.