Apple Official Keyboard/Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by caligula357, Apr 8, 2007.

1. caligula357 macrumors member

caligula357

i've been looking at getting a mouse and keyboard for my macbook, but all the comments i've read about them (mostly amazon), are negative.

can anyone who owns these recommend them?

i suppose apple may at some point bring out new models to coincide with leopard's release...

2. Pjotrs macrumors newbie

I use Wireless bluetooth Apple keyboard and Mighty mouse for about 8 months and still haven't had any problems with them!

3. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I recommend the old Pro Keyboard (if you can find one). The newer Apple Keyboard is rubbish. I'm also not a fan of the mice, I need my extra buttons!

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i've had my wireless keyboard for two years now, and i love it. i'm not too thrilled with the wireless mighty mouse, but there are people here who swear by it. why not try it out? if you don't like it, return it.

6. caligula357 thread starter macrumors member

caligula357

i'm not a fan of wireless peripherals, mainly because of the fact they eat through batteries faster that paris hilton through the male population of california.

i own an xbox 360 aswell (yes, i know, its m$), and i use wired controllers on that too. (hmm, an apple games console, theres an idea!)

i probably will end up geting the official kb & mouse when leopard is released, so i can order it all in a 1er.

i don't really want to wear out the macbook's keyboard and touchpad too quick...

:rolleyes:

7. jockeyrob macrumors member

Love the Bluetooth Apple Mouse. Use it every day. Took three months for my first Energizer E2 batteries to die.

Fantastic. Highly reccomended.

8. JackArc macrumors regular

JackArc

The wireless keyboard is fantastic. I have the wireless mighty mouse, the scroll wheal is great but the right click is not consistent and it isnt as comfortable as most other mice. I would look into a logitech wireless one

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I went from a superfangled MS Keyboard and Mouse with a fingerprint reader and more buttons than one could shake a stick at to the Apple keyboard and Mighty Mouse.

It took a month or two, but I now vastly prefer the Apple kit.

Just takes a bit of getting used to, that's all :)

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

agreed on both points. I too have had an apple BT keyboard for years, and I've never had a problem with it. Great in pretty much every way.

The BT mighty mouse is another story. It's fine for most things, but it has the one serious defect of sometimes not recognizing right clicks correctly. This makes is pretty much useless for games (I have to switch to a basic corded optical mouse :rolleyes: ), and therefore not really an ideal choice.

11. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The Apple pro keyboard is not all that pretty and there is nothing special about it, but it does work and is built better then a lot of other keyboards. I like it. The Mighty Mouse I am not so fond of. for the desltop I use an Apple Keyboard and a Logitech MX Revolution. Its not a bluetooth mouse which is sad, but it has a small USB receiver thats not too bad. For the laptops I have a logitech bluetooth mouse. It's a simpler one. can't remember the model but its just a two button mouse with a rubber scroll wheel. I think I picked it up for $30 new. Not fancy at all but a really good reliable mouse. I just keep forgetting to turn it off and the batteries die.:(

12. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I prefer the Apple Keyboard (both wired an wireless as they are the same form factor) over most other keyboards on the market. It doesn't have any extra plastic around the edges then what is needed making it easy to clean with compressed air, and (at least for my tastes) is slanted at the perfect angle. The USB ports on the back are convenient but I wish they were USB 2.0.

The mouse on the other hand stinks. It feels awful. I like to grip my mouse and the Apple mighty mouse doesn't do it for me. The sensors were also difficult to get used to, so I opted out for a logitech.

13. MonkeyClaw macrumors regular

MonkeyClaw

I use a wired apple keyboard and a wireless mighty mouse and love both. like someone said the right click is sometimes a bit finiky so i usually just ctrl click like the old days. but the 3rd button and the side buttons work great and make expose so much more useful.

14. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

for laptops, i'd prefer the vx revolution over a bluetooth mouse. it's small and portable, and the dongle isn't that big a hassle. costco is selling it for $34.99.

15. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

Like I was saying on someone else's thread, I like the apple Mighty Mouse. It's different than the PC mice out there. It can be a hassle to keep cleaning the scroll wheel and the cord is a little short (if you get the wired one) but those are little annoyances, and lets be honest...no item is perfect, they all have their pros and cons.

As far as the keyboard's concerned, I've never used it on my mac so I couldn't give you an intelligent review on it. I can say it looks great! But it isn't good for my application. I'm in college and use it primarily in the classes or on my bed, I can't stand being tied down to a desk...I get enough of that at work 8 hours a day.

16. caligula357 thread starter macrumors member

caligula357

does anyone know if the apple kb & m work on windows xp pcs?

mainly the usb wired ones that is,
    cheers

:)

17. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

There is no logical reason to say that they would not, so i assume they will.

18. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

I own the wired Apple keyboard. Quite frankly it sucks. If you dont hit the keys just right they wont respond (happened 4 times writing this, what a pain).

19. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Up until two days ago, I would not have been in a position to even enter this conversation. However, having owned a wired Mighty Mouse, I now have an experience-based opinion on the matter:

Frankly, it sucks.

Why do I say that? When optical mice were first introduced about 8 years ago, one of the issues they had was with glitches in the tracking technology. The mice had issues tracking on certain kinds of surfaces; also sometimes the cursor would spuriously jump to some other location and you'd have to find it and bring it back to wherever it was that you were working.

Now, over the years the industry has made significant improvements in the optical tracking mechanism that's used. Heck, for that matter even Apple's "Pro Mouse" contained those improvements. However, their Mighty Mouse seems not to, although I can't for the life of me explain how that would be. It does (well, did) all the stuff that older-generation optical mice used to. I have tried several different mouse pads, no mouse pad at all (of course then it's on a wood-grain surface), etc. No luck no matter what I tried.

I returned it to CompUSA and bought a Logitech MX400 laser mouse, with which the moment I hooked it up I was a thousandfold more satisfied with it than the Apple Mighty Mouse or even the Microsoft 6000 Laser Mouse which I had attempted to replace previously (I just wanted to get any and all of the Microsoft junk off of my desktop.)

One of the other things that irritated me (and I kind of knew this would be the case going in, so it was by no means a surprise) was the pair of buttons Apple placed on the left and right sides of the mouse, right where I would normally grab ahold of it. I tried to use the mouse with them enabled but had to pretty quickly go and shut them off.

Except for the PowerBook 5300c I owned several years ago, I have never been as dissatisfied with an Apple product as I was the Mighty Mouse.

20. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Logitech makes great stuff.

Actually (correct me if I'm wrong) - Logitech makes most of the mouse/keyboards for other companies such as Apple and Microsoft....

21. munckee macrumors 65816

My apple pro keyboard is the best I've ever used. The keys are at the perfect pitch for me; no feet to flip around or anything, and its a nice trim design.

My mighty mouse, on the other hand, was a POS. Wasn't happy with that purchase at all. Though now its been replaced full time by a wacom. :D

22. SaenOne macrumors newbie

I kinda like the mighty mouse. it took some time to get used to tho....i loved the scroll ball at first due to the 360° scrolling capability but if you want to be able to take advantage of that more than a couple days you have to clean that little thing every other day

23. Thi macrumors member

I just ordered BT Pro Keyboard from apple. I use Logitech's MX1000 bluetooth laser mouse. It was a pc mouse+keyboard bundle (Mx500 Desktop) from my previous lenovo. I love this mouse! The best thing about it is, it's rechargeable!

The major annoyance is Logitech's crappy support for mac users. The programmable buttons only works with a 3rd party program (Steer Mouse $20). Logitech does not support BT mices for Macs for some reason. Their propriety program for mac (llc213) is not compatible with the 10.49 update. For a fun read, you may go to their support forum and read their denial of this. Someone actually fixed it for them and hosted it and they still deny the problem. Jackasses. I really do dislike how they conduct business, but this one particular mouse is too good. I'm not buying another logitech product until they make a mx rev BT and have full support for Macs. Yes a one man boycott.

24. edub23o3 macrumors newbie

I have an older m$ wireless multimedia keyboard and mouse left over from before I switched to my macbook. Suprisingly, the battery life is very good and m$ actually has software drivers for the keyboard and mouse. I like having the tilt scroll wheel and I can bring up Expose by clicking down otn eh wheel. I think that keyboards and mice come down to personal preference.

25. daxer macrumors newbie

I got this iMac a week ago and the only extra's were a set of speakers and the wireless mighty mouse and keyboard ( belgian azerty ).
    Mighty mouse is a little getting used to,but I like it now better then my previous logitech mx laser mouse.It has all the functions I need in a mouse and is much lighter.Battery life doesn't seem to be an issue due to smart energy saving when inactive.
    The only problem I have is with the wireless keyboard,the square brackets are missing and support is poor.I have no idea whether these keys are missing on querty la outs as well but it is a bit of a pain since I prefer using the keyboard,also for browsing.In safari command + open square bracket gives you the previous page,well,not so for me.
    Probably some other keys are missing as well but this stroke me as safari is the default browser.
    Regards,
    d.