Apple Official Product Announcement in October?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Codeseven, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

Like the product announcement we just had earlier this month, will there be a product announcement or some type of Apple event to reveal the upcoming Skylake powered Mac's in October? (as rumor has it)

I'm still juggling iPad Pro or new MacBook for my next purchase.

2. asaggynoodle macrumors member

asaggynoodle

I cannot really tell you what they will do, but most likely the Skylake refresh as you mentioned.

I'll be picking up a Ipad Pro come Black Friday... Probably get a 50-100$ giftcard for free with it.

3. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ahh, don't say that! I'm trying to hold off till the new laptops come out! :)

4. asaggynoodle macrumors member

asaggynoodle

Even if they did announce a full Skylake overhaul (Which I feel they would end up dropping the Macbook air line), and just switch over to the 12" Macbook, or 13" Macbook Pro. We won't be seeing them on the street for a while. Quite honestly Q1 2016 is more reasonable. But we can dream. :(

5. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

That might be true. I was hoping to see new laptops in time for the upcoming Holiday buying season.

6. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

There are a bunch of threads about this already ;) And only Apple knows the real answer to your question. But the general Pundit consensus is that if they crammed everything into the iPhone 6s event and made it 2 and a half hours long... they probably won't have another big "event".

If anything, there'll be a Tuesday "silent" update, coupled with a press release. The only thing that's rumoured right now though (that' I've seen) is a 4K 21" iMac.

But there are a myriad of other reasons they might not update the MacBooks before 2016... including there may not be a successor to Skylake in 2016 - so if they update the MacBooks (Retina/Pro/Air) in late 2015, there may not be any new processors for them to update to in June/July 2016 - which seems a more likely time (they've updated the Air every year in the April/May/June timeframe for a few years now).

7. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

There is not a chance a refresh will come out this year. Apple has been struggling to catch up to demand and still has not reached supply/demand equilibrium yet (though they are very close). Now they have to start stockpiling MacBooks for the Christmas season. There's just simply no time to ramp down the current model, retool, ramp up Skylake (which will have severely constrained supply for the rest of this year anyways) and still expect to meet holiday demand.

8. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Yup. Anyone who's expecting a Skylake refresh of the rMB this year is dreaming at this point.

9. Cape Dave macrumors 65816

Sad but true.

10. driftless, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015

driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I suspect that Skylake will be a silent update and not be announced at an event. Q1 - Q2 next year.

11. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

That still isn't stopping the numerous threads about this and how "Apple is doomed" if they don't update the rMB this year ;)

12. Elise macrumors 6502

I really hope it's the 4K iMac, that'll be my early Christmas present to myself.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple usually give us a 2 weeks notice of a media event, so that means since we're on the cusp of October now, a late October event. That may seem pushing the envelope of holiday shopping. Also what will they announce, is skylake out now for the MB? I'm not saying its not, I'm actually asking.

14. Niarlatop macrumors member

Yup, Skylake Core m3/5/7 are already out :
    http://ark.intel.com/products/family/83613/Intel-Core-M-Processors#@Mobile

I don't know however if the Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 controllers are produced in large quantity yet, and I sure hope the new rMB will feature one of those.

15. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

If the Skylake rMB refresh has TB3 also, I'm upgrading.