Apple officially addresses bootcamp speaker issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aevan, Dec 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aevan, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016

aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

You can read the update text and they are officially fixing the issue with the bootcamp update. However, I'm still scared to install bootcamp. It'll be a while before I do. Anyway, for those braver than me, it should work now.

I would be grateful if people who install the new bootcamp drivers can confirm the issue is gone and it's safe to install bootcamp.

This was a real blunder by Apple. This never should've happened. Even if they fixed the issue, the damage has been done - both to people who had their speakers blown and to others, when it comes to trust and reliability.

EDIT: I first encountered this video because I follow the guy on YT, I just saw the Macrumors news page mention the same thing and people commenting there.

2. zzyph macrumors newbie

I just installed windows, can confirm that everything is ok and the drivers are updated.

3. fs454, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016

fs454 macrumors 65816

I got my entire machine replaced today because of this. The store I went to was unfamiliar with the issue, but Apple's official support doc (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207410) led them to an internal note which in big, bold red letters says "Replace whole unit". Thankfully they somehow had my 2.9/1TB/460 config in stock so I didn't have to wait again, but ehh.

Insult to injury, the notorious right-under-the-speaker scratch that's on nearly all 2016 15" models was on the new replacement as well. The Apple Store employees couldn't believe it. I settled into it anyways, I'd rather not nitpick so hard when there's clearly a widespread manufacturing oddity that's ultimately minor.

:edit: Guess I should also report that Time Machine / Windows 10 is all good as far as I can see. I reinstalled it immediately tonight and got down on some Battlefield 1 for a couple hours. The patch is included in the boot camp driver package. Not gonna let previous experience stop me here, if the thing fails it's in Apple's court again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.