• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple has quietly added additional build-to-order RAM options to its Quad-Core Mac Pro, now allowing users to configure new systems with either 12 GB (3 x 4 GB) or 16 GB (4 x 4 GB) of RAM. The new options using 4 GB RAM DIMMs carry significant price tags, with the 12 GB option resulting in a $1350 up charge over the base 3 GB configuration and the 16 GB option carrying an $1850 premium.

020248-quad_core_mac_pro_16gb_ram.png

Notably, the "Memory" category description on the configuration page still refers to the Quad-Core Mac Pro as supporting only 8 GB of RAM, although the Mac Pro's technical specifications page has been revised to reflect the new 16 GB ceiling. The change almost certainly does not involve a hardware update, however, as the Quad-Core Mac Pro had already been known to support 16 GB of RAM despite Apple's original claims of an 8 GB maximum.

While a number of third-party RAM vendors have offered 16 GB RAM kits for the Quad-Core Mac Pro at vastly lower prices than Apple's new options, some customers prefer to purchase RAM directly from Apple for a variety of reasons, from the inclusion of AppleCare coverage on RAM for build-to-order machines to corporate or institutional purchasing policies.

Article Link: Apple Officially Adds Support for Up to 16 GB of RAM on Quad-Core Mac Pro

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Great news! Now we will also need reasonable prices for those 4GB sticks... Currently, their prices are not of this world.

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I wish Apple offered Macs with no RAM, since 3rd party RAM is usually a better deal for the same quality and quantity. Sometimes it's cheaper to order a Mac with the minimum RAM they offer, then throw out that RAM and replace it with 3rd party modules.

Comment

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Apple offering new motherboards with 6 or 12 slots so you don't lose 3 channel RAM or have to use way overpriced 4Gb DIMMS would be a lot more useful for potential Mac Pro customers.

A sub £1,500 entry level Mac Pro like 2008 and below available as a BTO option would be even better

Comment

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
I wish Apple offered Macs with no RAM, since 3rd party RAM is usually a better deal for the same quality and quantity.

They can't do that, because then that Mac would not work out of the box. However, check your dealer, they might be willing to compensate for the Apple memory if you buy memory upgrade from them. I've done this few times.

Comment

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I would rather have it not work out of the box for a build to order feature that allows me to not select the hard drive and ram and pocket the savings. For the regular customers, they will not be affected.

Comment

Génicus

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2009
Belgium
I wish Apple offered Macs with no RAM, since 3rd party RAM is usually a better deal for the same quality and quantity. Sometimes it's cheaper to order a Mac with the minimum RAM they offer, then throw out that RAM and replace it with 3rd party modules.

DDR3 ECC memory is pricy and I think they have a good price point for that ram

Comment

earthsaver

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2003

For example, Other World Computing offers 16GB for half Apple's price.

Comment

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008

It's ALWAYS a better deal to throw out the RAM and replace it with 3rd party modules. I've upgraded the RAM on several Macs before I even turn them on for the first time.

Comment

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
Supposedly cheaper DDR3 RAM is coming. I think at the end of the year many manufacturers will switch DRAM manufacturing from 50nm to 40nm. This allows for higher density sticks at cheaper prices (4GB sticks will become available and affordable for desktops and servers), as well as running at lower voltages (1.35V instead of 1.5V, or a 10% reduction in power consumption, longer battery life for your laptop).

Comment

LEStudios

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Great news! Now we will also need reasonable prices for those 4GB sticks... Currently, their prices are not of this world.

Those prices at Apple are good as it can get! I rather buy the Mac Pro with 32GB DDR3 ECC, Apple Mac Pro Raid with 512MB Cache, ATI Radeon 4870 with 512MB DDR5, Airport Extreme 802.11n that's it. Then go buy four Western Digital Black 2TB 7200RPM with 64MB Cache for $300 each. Apple Care can cover everything else. I feel its common sense if the Mac Pro is your chief money maker for Animation, Photography, Audio and or Video Production then why you put something in it that doesn't have a warranty coverage. Meaning Apple Store is up the road from me. Third party you will have to wait after you ship it. In any production time is money, so far from my experience I don't trust Kingston Memory that what cause my 2007 Mac mini to go down last year. Seagate I heard too many horror stories to even rely on them. I pretty much trust Western Digital their 2TB External Hard Drives have work well for me, so I'm looking to get the 4TB external maybe later this year. Yeah there's a lot more TV Shows in HD I'm getting. :D

Comment

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Those prices at Apple are good as it can get!

Nonsense. I bought 16 megabytes of memory for 2500 euros in the 90's. Don't tell me memory couldn't be cheaper ;)

All we need is little more volume to bring the cost down. And once the cost is reasonable, it will also bring even more volume, thus drive the cost down more. It will be cheaper, but maybe just not next week.

I'm waiting for the reasonable pricing.

Comment

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Wow, I didn't know the Single-core Mac Pro only had FOUR RAM slots? The Nehalem CPUs have three memory channels, and support up to 9 DIMMs per CPU (3 channels x 3 DIMMs per channel).

Although I LOVE the engineering and design of the Mac Pro, only being able to support 4 DIMMs with the single-CPU version and thus limiting the machine to (a very expensive) 16GB is a stupid mistake on Apple's part.

Most single-CPU Nehalem workstations come with 6 (sometimes 9 DIMM slots) as does the single-CPU Xserve which I thought used the same components as the Mac Pro, but apparently not!

Also, like many PC workstations, it would be far nicer if Apple used the same Xeon 55xx series CPUs and motherboards on their single-cpu Mac Pro as in their dual-CPU version so in the future you can upgrade by just slotting in second CPU. Instead they use Xeon 35xx chips that are far cheaper (and don't pass on the savings) and can't be used in a dual-CPU system.

Comment

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
Supposedly cheaper DDR3 RAM is coming. I think at the end of the year many manufacturers will switch DRAM manufacturing from 50nm to 40nm. This allows for higher density sticks at cheaper prices (4GB sticks will become available and affordable for desktops and servers), as well as running at lower voltages (1.35V instead of 1.5V, or a 10% reduction in power consumption, longer battery life for your laptop).

I want the prices to drop for DDR2 for the Early 2008 MP. Currently I have 4x1GB and 4x2GB in my machine. I'd like to replace the 4x1GB with 4x4GB but really don't want to shell out the $520. I bet with SL running, I'd get more bang for my buck replacing my 8800GT with at GTX 285 for nearly the same price.

Comment

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I have 13GB in mine and it cost around $700... most 2 years ago. And I still have slots open. Come on, Apple. Quite frankly, 13GB is overkill. These days 8B is overkill.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.