Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has officially ended development on its AirPort line of products, which includes the AirPort Express ($99), the AirPort Extreme ($199), and the AirPort Time Capsule ($299).

"We're discontinuing the Apple AirPort base station products. They will be available through Apple.com, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers while supplies last," an Apple spokesperson told iMore.

airport_roundup.jpg

Apple has not updated its AirPort products since 2012 (Express) and 2013 (Extreme and Time Capsule), and in late 2016, Bloomberg said that Apple had stopped development on the AirPort lineup with the AirPort engineers reassigned to other products.

Apple reportedly began shutting down its AirPort unit in early 2016, in an effort to "sharpen" its focus on the "consumer products that generate the bulk of its revenue."

Following news that Apple had shuttered the AirPort unit, the company began selling third-party routers in January of 2018 when it offered the Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi System.

Apple's AirPort base stations provided unique benefits that are not available through third-party options like built-in Time Machine backup support in the Time Capsule and AirPlay functionality for the AirPort Express.

While the AirPort line is being discontinued, Apple will be providing service and parts for current generation AirPort Base Stations for the next five years. iMore says Apple also plans to share some knowledge-base articles in the coming weeks to assist customers who are transitioning away from the AirPort Express, Extreme, and Time Capsule.

Apple plans to continue to sell the three AirPort products online and in its retail stores until available supplies are exhausted. No price drops have been implemented at this time.

Update: Apple has shared a new support document offering tips on choosing a Wi-Fi router to use with Apple devices. The company recommends a router that offerrs 802.11ac, dual-band support, WPA2 Personal encryption, and MIMO or MU-MIMO.

Article Link: Apple Officially Discontinues AirPort Wireless Router Lineup [Updated]

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
About time Apple made this news official.

Even back in 2013, the AirPort Extreme didn't stand out from others in terms of routing performance.

Either be the best in the market or go home. Apple made the right decision.

Last edited:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I was really hoping that they were just waiting until the next WiFi standard to come out to release new AirPort base stations. I'm sad that they're being discontinued.

However, I do wonder: What will they recommend to replace the Time Capsule for networked backup purposes? We can still do Time Machine backups to local USB drives, but retiring the Time Capsule leaves a big hole for this application.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
This is really sad news. They still even sell the SuperDrive but they’re killing off the TCs. Glad I bought a new one in January of last year. It’s under AppleCare through my MacBook Pro until 12/19. It’s definitely not the best ac router since it came out almost 5 years ago but time machine backups are so convenient. I will really miss it the day it stops working. I hope they reconsider their decision and start making routers again in the future.

Heck I actually want a SuperDrive just for ripping CDs myself but I refuse to pay $80 for one and I don’t like those open tray drives. They tend to always fail sooner or later. They also don’t have the clean aluminum look that pairs with macs so well. I wish they would at least upgrade them to USB-C or stop integrating the cable and offer both USB type A and C cables with the package.

Last edited:

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
This company loves destroying everything that got them to the top.

Hyperbole much? If this was a massive seller then it wouldn’t have been cut, just like their $1000 monitors. What got them to the top were music players, and then phones which incorporated those music players. Everything else was limited in scope and adoption even among Apple users. I doubt that 1% of iPhone users in any single recent quarter purchased an Airport device in the past 3-5 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.