Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple's USB Power Adapter Takeback Program officially launching yesterday, the company has now posted prices for additional participating regions, boosting the number of countries where consumers may trade-in a third-party USB charger for a discount on an official Apple charger (via 9to5Mac). While Apple originally expanded plans for the program last month to countries beyond the United States and China with seven additional countries, the recent move brings the amount of countries supported by the program to 30.

adapter_pricing.png
Apple is maintaining separate information pages for several countries involved in the program, while pricing in the bulk of the countries is summarized on a separate "other countries" page.

First introduced last month following the electrocution of a Chinese woman using a counterfeit iPhone charger, the recycling initiative is designed to allow iOS users to safely replace and dispose of questionable third-party power adapters.

Under the terms of the program, Apple will accept and recycle any third-party charger at any Apple Retail Store or participating Apple Authorized Service Provider, and will also provide an authentic charger for $10 in the United States, a $9 discount from Apple's regular pricing.

Article Link: Apple Officially Launches Third-Party USB Charger Takeback Program in 30 Countries

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
This is really a great gesture from apple.
But where is singapore apple !!!

nicinabox

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2009
Oxford, UK
I wonder if we will see a similar scheme with Macbook chargers? £50 is simply too much for some people, especially when the fake ones cost £15..

MadDawg2020

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
If the regular price of the Apple adapters was $10 they never would have had this issue to begin with...

nic78

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
Got my cheap Chinese eBay iPad 10w adapter replaced at jump+ (a Canadian Premium Apple reseller) for 12 w iPad adapter for $11 bucks!
I had a iPad 2 that came with a 10 w originally.
I only paid 3 for the knockoff shipped.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I wonder if we will see a similar scheme with Macbook chargers? £50 is simply too much for some people, especially when the fake ones cost £15..

The problem is the _fake_ chargers. Apple builds nice chargers that take the smallest possible space. It is hard to build a safe charger that fits into a small space. It is much easier to build a safe charger that is big, bulky and ugly. It isn't difficult to build a big, bulky, ugly, and safe charger that sells for £15.

Of course it doesn't look like an Apple charger. So it doesn't appeal to people who want to pay £15 for something that _might_ be a real MacBook charger.

----------

If the regular price of the Apple adapters was $10 they never would have had this issue to begin with...

Because nobody would buy a fake charger for $5 to save $5...

ravenstar

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005

Of course, it's all Apple's fault because people want their products and they don't give them away. Don't buy it if you don't like the price, but don't blame Apple for someone else's unscrupulous behavior.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Of course, it's all Apple's fault because people want their products and they don't give them away. Don't buy it if you don't like the price, but don't blame Apple for someone else's unscrupulous behavior.

The reason they are doing this, is properly because there is missing sufficient protection in the phone, against being electrocuted in the first place. Putting xxx volt into the phone, should not cause the case to turn a into people zapper.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
The reason they are doing this, is properly because there is missing sufficient protection in the phone, against being electrocuted in the first place. Putting xxx volt into the phone, should not cause the case to turn a into people zapper.

Why would there need to protection from unauthorized third-party chargers?

The instruction manual says to only use Apple authorized chargers. If you decide to not follow the instructions, you deserve whatever you get.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Great! Now I can get some additional 10/12W chargers for my several iPads for REALLY cheap ;)

Limited to one, and you have to have a third-party charger to turn in.

Personally, I only use a charger for my iPad. I charge the iPhone at my computer. With that, and old equipment, I probably have 3 or 4 unused Apple chargers sitting around.

----------

Charger breaks or is lost. You live 50 miles from the nearest Apple store. You’re telling me you’re not going to go to a closer store that may or may not be an authorized Apple accessory dealer?

The issue isn’t even unauthorized 3rd party chargers themselves. It’s ones sold in countries where piracy is rampant and consumer safety isn’t. China isn’t the biggest iPhone market, but this hasn’t happened in the United States, which is.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
So a bunch of cheapos go buy a cheap chinese adaptors and Apple has to replace them?

What nonsense. Those people deserve to have their phones blow up in their face for their cheapness.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Limited to one, and you have to have a third-party charger to turn in.

One per iPad, isn't it? Not one per person.

----------

Just reduce it's regular price to $10.

Exactly. Then, people wouldn't need to purchase third-party ones.

(BTW, this q - whether the price of Apple's original chargers' is the main reason for even a lot of first-world people using cheap Chinese chargers - has been discussed a lot in the thread on the last accident in China.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.