Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skitidetdu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
Sweden
Sad to see it go. I used it now and then to write songs with my guitar. The app added drums and bas on its own by analysing what you recorded and that worked pretty good. And you could easily take that file and open it in Garageband or Logic with tempo info etc.

Reactions: Huck

JDuggan

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2014
Truly disappointing news. This was a great app (when it detected your time signature correctly).

So far I've yet to find a good replacement. AudioShare is just OK.

Tofupunch

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
I for one used this app regularly. I loved how it automatically created and added a drum beat and bass and how you could toggle them on or off. It quickly gave life to an idea and revealed its potential without having to wait to add those other elements at a later time. There was a lot of potential here. I'm really sad to hear about this.

bjjp2

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
OK Apple, so you don't want to develop this further. But why does that mean you have to kill it off?
I don't understand this either. Did it really cost them anything to "support"? Things like this make me shake my head. "Hey musicians, you can't use this anymore instead you have to use this other thing with 10% of the functionality."

Themem

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2020
Bristol
Does anyone have any suggestions for any replacements? Although i still have the app, it's just going to become obsolete...

Any recommendations welcome - preferable free at first, but don't mind paying if it's worth it...

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
I’d like to get the files I’d created in Music Memos into Voice memos. Unfortunately, this is the first I’d heard that the app was being discontinued and I’ve only got version 1.0.6 installed. I hadn’t used the app in some time and hadn’t updated. It now being March 2nd, I’m unable to install 1.0.7 to transfer the files as suggested.

Could anyone suggest a way to get this done?

drewbeck

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2020
NY
I’d like to get the files I’d created in Music Memos into Voice memos. Unfortunately, this is the first I’d heard that the app was being discontinued and I’ve only got version 1.0.6 installed. I hadn’t used the app in some time and hadn’t updated. It now being March 2nd, I’m unable to install 1.0.7 to transfer the files as suggested.

Could anyone suggest a way to get this done?
I use iCloud on music memos, and that means every music memo file is uploaded to a folder in icloud, accessible in the Files app. I couldn't get exporting to work properly, but I can access the files in icloud and either just listen to them through the Files app or import them into voice memos from there (I think)

Reactions: severe

drewbeck

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2020
NY
Does anyone have any suggestions for any replacements? Although i still have the app, it's just going to become obsolete...

Any recommendations welcome - preferable free at first, but don't mind paying if it's worth it...
I've been using Spire, which I found recommended here when the music memos app discontinuation was initially announced. It's nice! Not as quick of a tool, but still very simple and straightforward to use. It also allows for easy multi tracking, which I haven't taken advantage of yet but which is cool.

Reactions: Themem and severe

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
OK Apple, so you don't want to develop this further. But why does that mean you have to kill it off?
I don’t know anything about Apple’s future plans, but I think it’s interesting that they took a step to make GarageBand’s recording more immediate when they announced that they would be ending support for Music Memos a while ago. I would not be surprised if more of music memos functionality ended up in garage band as a side feature to that immediate recording mode. Instead of recording in one app then taking that over to GarageBand you’d just record in GarageBand.

Reactions: SFjohn and Feyl

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
I've been using Spire, which I found recommended here when the music memos app discontinuation was initially announced. It's nice! Not as quick of a tool, but still very simple and straightforward to use. It also allows for easy multi tracking, which I haven't taken advantage of yet but which is cool.
You can also do a soundcheck right before you record so that sets your levels. During that soundcheck, it also analyzes the audio and suggests a recording profile that best matches it, drums, guitar, voice, etc. I’ve had fun using the multitrack feature to create comedic dialogs :)

Reactions: Feyl and severe

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
I use iCloud on music memos, and that means every music memo file is uploaded to a folder in icloud, accessible in the Files app. I couldn't get exporting to work properly, but I can access the files in icloud and either just listen to them through the Files app or import them into voice memos from there (I think)
I’d noticed my files were saved to the cloud as well. Thanks for reminding me. Incidentally, over time, I have more often used Voice Memos for some reason. I’ll look into Spire, but I’m thinking I may begin to overlook it too. Seems the quickest way to just get my idea down wins. Thanks again.

Six Mac Abs

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2019

Is there no way to have your voice memos stored in iCloud? I've never used the voice memos app and always used the music memos app. I've just exported my music memos into the voice memos app but there is no voice memos folder in iCloud Drive? Seems a bit backwards to me.

Why didn't they just merge the features and call it audio memos? Grrr

Themem

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2020
Bristol
Thank you very much. I'll have to give Spire a go.

I'm sure with Music Memo's being removed that more options will come onto the market at some point :p

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Something that I only JUST now realized (first time I’ve tried to bring MM audio into GB). Music Memos created songs show up in GarageBand for iPad as “Automatic” and, as a result, you can’t alter the tempo in GarageBand (you’d have to copy the tracks into a separate song in order to set tempo). Would be cool for MM’s features to show up in GB and/or Logic Pro :)

Ichkamo

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2013
World Wide Web

As expected, Apple has officially retired its Music Memos app, which allows musicians and songwriters to capture song ideas on the fly.

Music-Memos-Apple.jpg

As noted by The 8-Bit, as of today Music Memos no longer shows up in App Store searches. Nevertheless, users who installed the app prior to March 2 can still use it and re-download the app if necessary using their App Store purchase history.

Apple announced in December that it planned to retire Music Memos after March 1, and advised users to export their Music Memos recordings to the Voice Memos library to ensure that they're saved.

Originally launched in January 2016, the app was able to analyze rhythm and chords of acoustic guitar and piano recordings, and instantly add drums and a bass line to provide a virtual, customizable backing band.
No I use it and love it.
It was my favorite app. Now we have to move to this junk software named Voice Memo. Makes me remember when they killed iPhoto and asked us to move to another piece of junk: Photos.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
It was my favorite app. Now we have to move to this junk software named Voice Memo. Makes me remember when they killed iPhoto and asked us to move to another piece of junk: Photos.
I'm still using Music Memos and will continue to do so until it doesn't work with whatever the latest OS is. And, still hoping the feature is rolled into GarageBand (especially since it creates GB compatible files with variable tempo).

Reactions: Ancandis
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.